F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Retrofit Cruise Control (No Multifunction Steering Wheel) - Hack Instrument Cluster?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-19-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
flostar3000
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 316i

Retrofit Cruise Control (No Multifunction Steering Wheel) - Hack Instrument Cluster?

Hello,

I have a base model 316i without any steering wheel buttons (it does not have the multifunction steering wheel)
The last 7 digits of my VIN: J282370.

I just installed a new steering wheel with all the buttons for cruise control.
I already did some coding with esys and the buttons on the right all work fine now (phone, volume, etc.). The left buttons for speed limit and cruise control do not work at all, except for the "LIM" button. However, when pressing, it says "speed limit cannot be activated".

Now I know that I need another instrument cluster for cruise control etc. to work. But since its hard to get the right one I would like to save a buck or two on the cruise control, I thought it might be possible to flash another firmware on my existing tach. This firmware is one that tricks it into thinking it's a cluster that is compatible with cruise control. It might be missing some LEDs for the CC but I could just ignore that or solder in some.

Does someone have experience on that topic?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:11 AM   #2
stelios22
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F22

Have you gotten further on that topic? I was also looking to avoid changing the cluster.

I was reading through some Exx forums and found this that may work out: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2164637-cruise-control-retrofit

This is supposed to show a digital read out of the desired CC speed.
Appreciate 0