F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 435i MPE on 428i install instructions?
proTUNING Freaks

08-02-2022, 03:57 AM   #1
BTolsma
Rep
Drives: F36 428i

Question 435i MPE on 428i install instructions?

Hi guys,

I've searched the forums but can't seem to find a definitive guide for this, so I thought I'd ask.

I want to install a new 335i/435i MPE on my 428i. I know it's possible as I've seen it done, but I need some help on the details.

I know the MPE has a slightly bigger pipe out the back than the 428i midpipe, but what sizes are they exactly? And does anyone have a link to a good adapter pipe, or will I have to make something myself?

Then; what else do I have to keep in mind? Are mountingpoints and brackets the same? Will I be able to hang the MPE in the 428i brackets without having to modify anything and will the rubbers to their jobs? What about the valves? Will I be able to just plug the new exhaust in and the valves will work?

Thanks alot on any and all information you guys can provide!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 06:44 PM   #2
alexonahurry
Ozzy Dude
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i LCI

Garage List
The MPE doesn't have valves - it comes with a dead plug when purchased new. I have done a swap on my 330i and installed a stock 340i muffler - was plug n play and the exhaust shop has only made an adapter The 335i is slightly different and the MPE pipe for the muffler doesn't line up on your 428i so the exhaust shop has to cut it and make a custom adapter. Should be dead cheap. Mounting brackets are the same. Don't forget to buy a new diffusor.

Hope that helps

Last edited by alexonahurry; 08-02-2022 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 01:29 AM   #3
BTolsma
Rep
Drives: F36 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexonahurry View Post
The MPE doesn't have valves - it comes with a dead plug when purchased new. I have done a swap on my 330i and installed a stock 340i muffler - was plug n play and the exhaust shop has only made an adapter The 335i is slightly different and the MPE pipe for the muffler doesn't line up on your 428i so the exhaust shop has to cut it and make a custom adapter. Should be dead cheap. Mounting brackets are the same. Don't forget to buy a new diffusor.

Hope that helps

That absolutely helps!
I've found a adapter/reductor piece that goes 80mm to 76mm so that part is covered. The brackets being the same is honestly huge, cause that can be such a ballache otherwise. Diffusor is a given haha.

As far as the valves are concerned, I'm seeing mixed things about it, I believe it does have valves, atleast the one that I'll be buying does, but I'll check to make sure.

Thanks man, massive help!

Edit: just found a thread that explained the difference and the valve-situation:
335i MPE has valves as seen here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_0059
340i MPE/MPPSK has a dummy: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_4091

Learn something new every day
Appreciate 1