F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Help Understanding Adaptive Suspension Options on F34 340 GT
GetBMWParts

05-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
saxman42
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 GT

Help Understanding Adaptive Suspension Options on F34 340 GT

I'm interested in buying a CPO 2017 or 2018 340 GT in the US and I can't find any with the adaptive suspension. I've checked the VINs on a few dozen with the M Sport package and 2VF (M Adaptive Suspension) is not listed for any of them. Is it really that rare of an option?

I found an F34 brochure online that shows it's part of the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP) along with VSS, but the 2018 price sheet I found does not list DHP as an option. Instead, it only shows "2VF M Adaptive Suspension" as an a $700 option in addition to the M Sport package.

What do you all think about the standard vs adaptive suspension anyway? I'm leaning towards standard. I've read a lot of people think comfort mode is far too soft.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 09:40 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I can't fault the standard suspension on mine. It doesn't handle like a 911 but that's not why I bought a GT.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 11:12 PM   #3
saxman42
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I can't fault the standard suspension on mine. It doesn't handle like a 911 but that's not why I bought a GT.
Thanks. That's my general thought so far, as well. It seemed plenty fun on curvy roads, but still very comfortable. My daily driver doesn't need to be a track car; just tight enough to have some fun on occasion.

How are you liking your GT overall? My goal is to have a fun, comfortable daily driver that has plenty of room for a rear facing car seat and the ability to throw a bike in the back. I originally thought the wagon was going to be my best option. I was shocked how much more space the GT has in the back seat.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 01:31 PM   #4
KCee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 GT XDrive 2016

I do think Comfort mode is soft, but I've had a # of passengers in the car tell me how great the car seems to ride. Part of that may be the roominess of the back seat.

If I nitpick the car I would like to see a driving mode between Comfort and Sport. Comfort is a bit too slow and plush for my tastes while Sport could be firmer still, but seems too sporty for my regular commute.

I thought about making some mods to firm it up, but I can't see spending the money it would probably take to do that.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 01:41 PM   #5
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

If you plan on *staying* stock on your suspension, maybe consider it.
But personally, don't burn too much energy on the adaptive suspension option.

I've got it on my 2015 435i paired with the Dinan Shockware (which basically moves sport into comfort and then bumps sport REALLY stiff.)

I caveat stock because I've tried using springs with the adaptive suspension (factory) as well as the Dinan Shockware.
The car just doesn't recover or respond as well even with a mild drop of .8". Think wheels hitting the fender insides at 80+mph.
It's great/fine on paved roads... like a track... with no road changes, or these things _– (BAM!) or fast rollies.

But harsh pavement, uneven roads, freeway undulations... it's useless.
And that's where I drive 99% of the time.

After a year, I'm back at the stock height and I'd daresay the car handles better now and the Dinan shockware (sport) eliminates the bobs and even under HARD 80+mph road changes, where it would bottom out, there's a nice resistance.

That all being said, if I could do it again, it's skip the adaptive and go with a good set of springs and adjustable shocks / coil-overs with adjustable shocks. You can lower if you want and then adjust the shocks according, which is what the adaptive just can't do.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 04:37 PM   #6
saxman42
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCee View Post
I do think Comfort mode is soft, but I've had a # of passengers in the car tell me how great the car seems to ride. Part of that may be the roominess of the back seat.

If I nitpick the car I would like to see a driving mode between Comfort and Sport. Comfort is a bit too slow and plush for my tastes while Sport could be firmer still, but seems too sporty for my regular commute.

I thought about making some mods to firm it up, but I can't see spending the money it would probably take to do that.
Did you drive the standard suspension? I get the impression it's in between sport and comfort like you're saying, but I haven't been able to drive one with adaptive suspension, so I can't say for sure.

Did you order your car new? If so, what options did you have to choose to get adaptive suspension? Was it an M Sport Package add on or Dynamic Handling Package?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
If you plan on *staying* stock on your suspension, maybe consider it.
But personally, don't burn too much energy on the adaptive suspension option.

I've got it on my 2015 435i paired with the Dinan Shockware (which basically moves sport into comfort and then bumps sport REALLY stiff.)

I caveat stock because I've tried using springs with the adaptive suspension (factory) as well as the Dinan Shockware.
The car just doesn't recover or respond as well even with a mild drop of .8". Think wheels hitting the fender insides at 80+mph.
It's great/fine on paved roads... like a track... with no road changes, or these things _– (BAM!) or fast rollies.

But harsh pavement, uneven roads, freeway undulations... it's useless.
And that's where I drive 99% of the time.

After a year, I'm back at the stock height and I'd daresay the car handles better now and the Dinan shockware (sport) eliminates the bobs and even under HARD 80+mph road changes, where it would bottom out, there's a nice resistance.

That all being said, if I could do it again, it's skip the adaptive and go with a good set of springs and adjustable shocks / coil-overs with adjustable shocks. You can lower if you want and then adjust the shocks according, which is what the adaptive just can't do.

Good to hear. I bet the GT in general has a little more room for being lowered without issues, but I can see the adaptive suspension not liking it at all. I'm not sure if I would upgrade to aftermarket suspension later or not. This will be a daily driver first and a fun car second, so I'm hesitant to go too stiff.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 08:34 AM   #7
KCee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 GT XDrive 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman42 View Post
Did you drive the standard suspension? I get the impression it's in between sport and comfort like you're saying, but I haven't been able to drive one with adaptive suspension, so I can't say for sure.

Did you order your car new? If so, what options did you have to choose to get adaptive suspension? Was it an M Sport Package add on or Dynamic Handling Package?

Good to hear. I bet the GT in general has a little more room for being lowered without issues, but I can see the adaptive suspension not liking it at all. I'm not sure if I would upgrade to aftermarket suspension later or not. This will be a daily driver first and a fun car second, so I'm hesitant to go too stiff.

I bought my car used, but it was leased and had no mods. It is not an M car. I thought I had read the 2016 model incorporated some M features, but I don't know for sure. The car definitely firms up in Sport mode so it's somehow adaptive. I think it could be firmer still in all modes, but unless I have to repair the suspension I can't see upgrading it. Just bought some new golf clubs so other fun stuff will have to wait lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 02:13 PM   #8
saxman42
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCee View Post
I bought my car used, but it was leased and had no mods. It is not an M car. I thought I had read the 2016 model incorporated some M features, but I don't know for sure. The car definitely firms up in Sport mode so it's somehow adaptive. I think it could be firmer still in all modes, but unless I have to repair the suspension I can't see upgrading it. Just bought some new golf clubs so other fun stuff will have to wait lol.
Great. Thanks for the feedback. I can't find a single 2018 340 GT with adaptive suspension listed in a VIN lookup, but I've found a decent number of 2016s with adaptive suspension. I'm starting to think it was on all 2018 340 GTs, none of them, or wrapped in with some other package and not listed on the VIN lookup.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 06:06 PM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

M Adaptive suspension doesn't offer significant benefits. It's a lot better than static suspension - especially in Sport mode - but otherwise not very inspiring. Dinan Shockware addresses many gaps but can be quite stiff in Sport mode.

BMW should have at least considered GM's Magnetic Ride Control technology but did not. GM's MRC is much better than BMW's M Adaptive technology.

In 2009, Beijing West Industries Co., Ltd. acquired the Chassis Division of Delphi Corporation. MRC technology has been used in Lamborghini and Ferrari vehicles, not just GM.

My suggestion would be to get the car which meets all your needs without M Adaptive suspension and then install coilovers from Ohlins, KW, or Bilstein.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 08:41 PM   #10
XtremeJP
Rep
Drives: F34 2014

In my car with the adaptive suspension, I find comfort mode wayyyy too soft. It's almost like riding around with blown dampers.

Sport mode is okay, it reminds me of any 3 series with the sports suspension, not like a M3 or anything.

Personally I'd skip it and just get a normal car and swap in some Koni FSD/Sport/Bilstein B6.
Appreciate 1
johnung4512.00
      06-06-2021, 12:34 AM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman42 View Post
I'm interested in buying a CPO 2017 or 2018 340 GT in the US and I can't find any with the adaptive suspension. I've checked the VINs on a few dozen with the M Sport package and 2VF (M Adaptive Suspension) is not listed for any of them. Is it really that rare of an option?

I found an F34 brochure online that shows it's part of the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP) along with VSS, but the 2018 price sheet I found does not list DHP as an option. Instead, it only shows "2VF M Adaptive Suspension" as an a $700 option in addition to the M Sport package.

What do you all think about the standard vs adaptive suspension anyway? I'm leaning towards standard. I've read a lot of people think comfort mode is far too soft.

Thanks!
Just get a car with standard shocks, then upgrade to Eibach springs with Koni Special Active Shocks. Or if you want to go all out with coilovers without harshing the ride get KWv3
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 08:04 AM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Just get a car with standard shocks, then drive it for a bit before contemplating fixing something that may very well not be broken.
Appreciate 0