F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Removing light holograms
proTUNING Freaks

10-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F34

Removing light holograms

In short I have leftover holograms and I realized I did not work the polish correctly and used too much force.

I need to get these out but I already applied Gtechniq c2v3 spray on. (Not the lacquer) Question is do I need to remove the Gtechniq first? Or can I just re polish again to get the holograms out?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Bueller?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
fatboyj711
Rep
Drives: F36 330xi

I would wash the car and then do an IPA wipe down to get as much of the sealant off as possible. Carpro Eraser or Gyeon Prep would work as well. I wouldn't worry about marring the paint since you'll need to polish anyway.

Then a light polishing should take care of the holograms.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyj711 View Post
I would wash the car and then do an IPA wipe down to get as much of the sealant off as possible. Carpro Eraser or Gyeon Prep would work as well. I wouldn't worry about marring the paint since you'll need to polish anyway.

Then a light polishing should take care of the holograms.
How much do I wipe until I know its gone?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
fatboyj711
Rep

Spray the IPA or prep solution liberally and wipe down with towels until it's dry. The point of this is to remove as much of the sealant as possible prior to polishing. You likely will not be able to remove all of it if you applied c2v3 recently, so don't stress and over wipe.

Less sealant on the paint will lead to less residue on the polishing pad, which will make each polishing pass more effective.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #6
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Spray the IPA or prep solution liberally and wipe down with towels until it's dry. The point of this is to remove as much of the sealant as possible prior to polishing. You likely will not be able to remove all of it if you applied c2v3 recently, so don't stress and over wipe.

Less sealant on the paint will lead to less residue on the polishing pad, which will make each polishing pass more effective.
Appreciate all the help man you are great.

I have a random orbital which i used initially but i used it very fast and very lightly just to get the product on.

Since I put holograms in with the machine I'm afraid to use it again so I plan on doing it by hand. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #7
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:

An IPA isn't going to remove freshly applied sealant as it's designed to remove residue.

You'll need a decon wash, clay then use an IPA wipe down to remove the residual.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
fatboyj711
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
An IPA isn't going to remove freshly applied sealant as it's designed to remove residue.

You'll need a decon wash, clay then use an IPA wipe down to remove the residual.
"Decon" washes don't strip wax/sealant as all they do is add residue on top. Tests have been conducted where water stopped beading on a previously sealed car after a decon wash, which would lead you to believe the sealant was removed, but the beading returned after decontaminating the surface and removing the decon soap's residue. In my opinion, there's no reason to buy special decon soaps, and cheap soaps like dawn are too harsh on trim.

There's no need to clay this car since it was polished and decontaminated recently. Claying does not remove sealant, and it would just be an extra, time-consuming step.

Personally, I would wash the car normally with whatever soap you have on hand, not a decon soap, and do an IPA wipe down per my previous post. While it won't remove freshly applied sealant, it will have a weakening effect. IPA will most definitely remove sealant that's been on the car for several months. Furthermore, wiping the car down with IPA or some other prep solution allows you to wipe dust off the car prior to polishing without excessive marring.

With all that said, you can go straight from wash to polishing if you choose. The IPA wipe could be an extra step that may not be worth your time.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #9
fatboyj711
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribalpinoy911 View Post
Appreciate all the help man you are great.

I have a random orbital which i used initially but i used it very fast and very lightly just to get the product on.

Since I put holograms in with the machine I'm afraid to use it again so I plan on doing it by hand. Thoughts?
It sounds like you're using a compound/polish and pad combination that's too aggressive on your paint, which is probably pretty soft. Start with the least aggressive combo and work your way up until you get the desired result. If your paint is super soft like BMW Jet Black, you may need to level set your expectations.

Doing this by hand will likely result in more holograms due to pressure points created by your hand. It will also take forever so don't do that.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #10
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
"Decon" washes don't strip wax/sealant as all they do is add residue on top. Tests have been conducted where water stopped beading on a previously sealed car after a decon wash, which would lead you to believe the sealant was removed, but the beading returned after decontaminating the surface and removing the decon soap's residue. In my opinion, there's no reason to buy special decon soaps, and cheap soaps like dawn are too harsh on trim.

There's no need to clay this car since it was polished and decontaminated recently. Claying does not remove sealant, and it would just be an extra, time-consuming step.

Personally, I would wash the car normally with whatever soap you have on hand, not a decon soap, and do an IPA wipe down per my previous post. While it won't remove freshly applied sealant, it will have a weakening effect. IPA will most definitely remove sealant that's been on the car for several months. Furthermore, wiping the car down with IPA or some other prep solution allows you to wipe dust off the car prior to polishing without excessive marring.

With all that said, you can go straight from wash to polishing if you choose. The IPA wipe could be an extra step that may not be worth your time.
Interesting.

Do you have links for these tests?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 11:31 AM   #11
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

EDIT: It took roughly 2 applications of the polish and terry cloth pad using random orbital buffer to get 75% of the holograms out.

After further inspection Using my iphones flashlight feature later today I found more holograms. I don't understand how because i used an led flashlight in a pitch black garage and couldn't spot a single hologram.

Is another polishing process all that is needed? Should i switch my pad out to something else?

EDIT: I polished again this time using a dual action with megs m82 swirl free polish instead of the ultimate polish. Using a blacking finishing foam pad. It initially looked like i instilled more holograms but i found out that it was just left over polish oils. Wiping down with wet microfiber and drying resolved the "holograms"
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #12
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Edit: The previous post i used led lights point at different angles to find the swirls in a garage could not find any. Under sunlight however, I noticed very faint holograms in a straight vertical pattern that would move across the surface evenly.

After some research I bought Menzerna 3800 polish and went to work. I checked before and after to see what the results were going to be. The menzernas helped a lot on this very soft paint BSM I have. HOWEVER, This time when i pulled the car out into the sun I noticed deep looking holograms. This was due to the gtechnic csv3 i applied right after the polishing. I sprayed with IPA and the hologram like reflections were removed. I saw some holograms still on the car and now I'm completely puzzled. The hood is fawless no holos, i used a 4 in white polishing pad. The doors i used a 6.5 pad and i think that was caused the marks. My white LC polishing pad i noticed was very dense and stiff like an orange pad unlike my 4in white polishing pad that was very soft and squishy. I'm thinking I was mistakenly sent a heavy duty pad.

I ordered a astro pneumatic 50sl light thats supposed to match the sunlight so i can spot these without needing the suns light.

In a panic i hid the holos using a wax. I plan on wiping down with an IPA this weekend and re assessing followed by utilizing my white 4in pad with the menzernas, if that doesn't work out perfectly I'll step up to a 4in black finishing pad
Appreciate 0