F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Chrome rubbing off steering wheel emblem?
ARMA SPEED

11-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
theplasticbling
Rep
Drives: 328d xdrive

Chrome rubbing off steering wheel emblem?

Anybody else have this issue? I'm from Florida and of course it gets hot down here, but I'm not sure whether this is normal or from the heat or shouldn't be happening at all. Would this be covered under warranty? I mean I just took my finger and was able to smudge the chrome.. it hasn't even been that hod today, got the account on in my car and it's 85 out.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WpLv9comG6uJWgjj7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HPWWv6h2UYATDdbU9
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I think if your car is under original factory warranty then you should be ok. If it’s cpo I don’t think it will be covered.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #3
theplasticbling
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
I think if your car is under original factory warranty then you should be ok. If it’s cpo I don’t think it will be covered.
I didn't buy the car from a BMW dealer but it's still under the 50k warranty. You think I should bring it in?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplasticbling View Post
I didn't buy the car from a BMW dealer but it's still under the 50k warranty. You think I should bring it in?
I would bring it in. Speaking from personal experience. I had the same issue on my 2008 and they replaced the air bag under warrant. Emblem and air bag is one unit.

Nothing wrong with my current emblem on my wire bag but I did just buy a c/f overlay to match the rest of my emblems.

I brought in my 2013 for a cracked radio number and they said no due to it only being under CPO and it doesn’t cover cosmetic.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #5
theplasticbling
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
I would bring it in. Speaking from personal experience. I had the same issue on my 2008 and they replaced the air bag under warrant. Emblem and air bag is one unit.

Nothing wrong with my current emblem on my wire bag but I did just buy a c/f overlay to match the rest of my emblems.

I brought in my 2013 for a cracked radio number and they said no due to it only being under CPO and it doesn’t cover cosmetic.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 12:27 AM   #6
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

I think this is pretty common. Unfortunately, that emblem is permanently attached to the airbag, so I'm somewhat doubtful it'll be covered...they'd have to replace the entire airbag. Only solution I've found is some aftermarket stick-on covers that can be found all over eBay. Unfortunately, while they're very close, depending on how anal you are, it's not quite an exact match to the oem roundel. I've decided to live with it than to have an emblem staring at me every time I drive that I can ever so slightly tell is not factory.