F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Thoughts from F30 Drive for Team USA Event (Long post)
GetBMWParts

06-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #23
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikanayam View Post
Loved the way the car drives, practically leaps when you step on the pedal...
BMW historically prefers an abrupt tip-in.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #24
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Regarding the comment on the MB's seats being supportive on long trips, they aren't. I have a C300 that I drive 70 miles each way for work and I want to dump it in the river because the seats suck so bad.

I drove my wife's x3 7 hours last weekend and when I got out, felt like it was ten minutes. I drive the C300 one hour to work and my back feels twisted like a pretzel when I get out.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #25
ptt127
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I also did the DFTUSA at Mountain View also, but got there pretty late and rode shotgun with my wife twice so only got to take the 328i luxury line out myself.

So.... today I ducked over to the Peter Pan event in San Mateo and drove a few more cars.

-IS250: Didn't drive it

-328i LL and ML: Not as bad as I had feared, not as good as I had hoped, but growing on me. Steering is actually lighter than my commuter Honda Fit, doesn't build effort as nicely as lateral forces increase, and doesn't have as much feedback. That just seems wrong. Sport mode didn't make as much difference in the steering as I had hoped, and the aggressive shift program was too much for normal driving. Ride quality was good- much more composed than the '07 E90 sport package. Engine and transmission were generally good. Not as much lag as I expected, a rather high pitched engine tone, but nothing I couldn't get used to. Start/stop and electronic gear lever were weird but I could get used to them. Other E90 faves like great seats and visibility were preserved.

-335i Sport Line: I agree with the OP- this car in sport mode was the closest to what I think a BMW should feel like. For some reason, it just felt like the steering effort was about the same as the 328i LL or ML in Comfort, but changed more in Sport. Every time I went to Sport mode in the 328i, I just ended up going back to Comfort. Was the opposite in the 335i. So I can't figure out if this is because of more engine weight over the front wheels than the 328, because of different tires/suspension in Sport Line, or because the EPS calibration is actually different in Sport Line. Regardless, I just really wish BMW would put a standalone adjustment for steering assist somewhere in the configuration menus. It's clearly possible and would allow people of different preferences to tailor the car in an area that has been one of the most controversial changes from the E90. I couldn't find the place in the iDrive that would allow customization of the sport program- even on the Sport Line. The sport suspension was really nice. The 335i was faster than the 328i, but it was actually pretty close. The biggest difference was the sound.

-MB C250: I actually liked a lot of things about this car. It felt the most compact, had great visibility, and felt really solid. The ride was just right- firmer than the F30 non-sport. The car also felt the most down-to-earth, like an older generation of German car, which it basically is. The engine actually had really good pull, but the transmission was unpredictable. The steering was the deal killer. Too light, imprecise, no feel, downright spooky at freeway speeds.

-Audi A4: I dunno, this was my least favorite by far. I didn't like anything about it. The seats were hard and flat in all the wrong places for me, high beltline made it feel like I was sitting in a hole no matter how high I adjusted the seat, and the steering was again, too light and lifeless, though not as bad as the C250. Did this thing have a CVT? It felt slow compared to the others.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 12:37 AM   #26
beemer3
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Regarding the comment on the MB's seats being supportive on long trips, they aren't. I have a C300 that I drive 70 miles each way for work and I want to dump it in the river because the seats suck so bad.

I drove my wife's x3 7 hours last weekend and when I got out, felt like it was ten minutes. I drive the C300 one hour to work and my back feels twisted like a pretzel when I get out.
Does your C300 have MB Tex or Leather? Does your X3 have Sports Package that comes with sports seats? Most C300's seem to be sold with MB Tex, I wonder if leather will make it feel any more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #27
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt127 View Post
..Did this thing have a CVT? It felt slow compared to the others.
If you're talking about the front wheel drive Audi (not Quattro), then yes it did have a CVT transmission. But that's not what's making it slow. I actually like CVT transmissions.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #28
ptt127
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I actually like them too. I agree, the CVT wasn't the issue here.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #29
Ikanayam
Rep
Drives: In the factory

What is the route at Peter Pan? I looped twice at Mountain View as I wanted more Highway time.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #30
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMC Pro Machine  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer3 View Post
Does your C300 have MB Tex or Leather? Does your X3 have Sports Package that comes with sports seats? Most C300's seem to be sold with MB Tex, I wonder if leather will make it feel any more comfortable.
It wasn't so much the quality of the leather, it was the padding in the seat cushion. Sit in the other cars and the seat bottoms are relatively firm. Sit in the Benz and it's "cushy" and you sink into it like a recliner (and not in a good way).
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #31
Merlin93
The New Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 3.0si Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikanayam View Post
What is the route at Peter Pan? I looped twice at Mountain View as I wanted more Highway time.
A bit of it was on Alameda, a bit on El Camino, but the bulk of it was on side streets near the dealership, roughly 4 miles all together.

The wife and I drove the 335i Sport twice and it was was quite fun, though we didn't really get to go anywhere we could really open it up. Now I'm rethinking my plan to get the MY13 328i... of course the ActiveHybrid 3 is looking nicer now too.
Appreciate 0