F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Steering wheel click/tick can't replicate
Extreme Powerhouse

02-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xdrive

Steering wheel click/tick can't replicate

Afternoon all, hope someone has some insight. I've been searching the forum and came across this thread

Clicking steering wheel noise https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1452147

But seems that thread is buried and I can't get a reply. So within the last month in really dry cold weather here in Vancouver BC -10C I had few occasions where I got into the car in the morning and upon backing up and turning my wheel I heard click,click,click,click while backing up and turning the wheel. Than putting it in drive and turning other direction same thing... I probably get about 5/7 wheel turns with that click/tick and than it goes away. It doesn't happen often (at least I can't seem to replicate it for service I booked it in for @ the dealer) I've read high and low about clock spring maybe and other issues as completely replacing the steering rack.

My problem is, it happens random and while still being -1 to -7 It doesn't seem to do it for me to catch a recording of it. My car is out of warranty in May and I'd like this fixed before it's my problem, that could be costly.

If I can't replicate it, dealer won't be able too neither unless it just happens while the car is with them. Any idea how the dealer will go about it?

Owner the car for 2 months now and that click/tick happened maybe 5/6 times

It's a 2015 435 xdrive
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The closest video I found on you tube is this

Mine sounds quieter and rapid clicks when turning for initial few turns out of my complex

Rapid like this video at 3 seconds...

Tick tick tick, it's driving me insane that I can't replicate it when needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:19 AM   #3
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Bump... anyone experienced this or has any input pls? Dealer appointment coming up next week with no luck of replicating it
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:02 AM   #4
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MY2017

Last time my friend got this he got the whole steering wheel column replaced.. under warranty tho
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 03:17 AM   #5
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline129 View Post
Bump... anyone experienced this or has any input pls? Dealer appointment coming up next week with no luck of replicating it
One possible place which is common to make noise in F30 is the bushing where the steering column goes thru the firewall. My understanding is the dealer garages are well aware of that and have specific lubricant that they use. That noise however is usually more like creaking (dry hinge) than ticking / clicking.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzcast21 View Post
Last time my friend got this he got the whole steering wheel column replaced.. under warranty tho
Quote:
That's my biggest concern. If they can't replicate it and I need a new steering rack.... warranty is due at end of May. Ughhh
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MY2017

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's my biggest concern. If they can't replicate it and I need a new steering rack.... warranty is due at end of May. Ughhh
just bring it in and keep pushing them
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #8
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
just bring it in and keep pushing them
They just told me if they can't replicate it they will charge me 200$ for diagnostic fee.

I contacted BMW Canada to see what they will say.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Can you ask the shop foreman to keep the car for a few days and drive it under different conditions? For hard to replicate problems, sometimes that's all it takes.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #10
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Can you ask the shop foreman to keep the car for a few days and drive it under different conditions? For hard to replicate problems, sometimes that's all it takes.
I'll give that a try CF, the only thing I'm afraid off is the fact that the problem occurred only in the dry -10 weather and it seems that the cold is done for here in Vancouver. I've been trying to replicate it myself and record every morning for past 2 weeks with no luck. Aggravating to say at least.

Thanks for all your input guys.

Let's say if the problem comes back and my warranty is over. (Next winter) Would BMW honor it as I did report these issues while under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #11
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

After listening to the video a few times, my initial thoughts:

- The sound appears to be close to the steering wheel which is encouraging (easier to isolate)
- If the sound only surfaces in very cold weather, it might be lubrication related or some piece of plastic changes shape due to extreme cold
- I detected faint "creak and snap" sounds as if something scrapes while being rotated. Is it correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #12
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
After listening to the video a few times, my initial thoughts:

- The sound appears to be close to the steering wheel which is encouraging (easier to isolate)
- If the sound only surfaces in very cold weather, it might be lubrication related or some piece of plastic changes shape due to extreme cold
- I detected faint "creak and snap" sounds as if something scrapes while being rotated. Is it correct?

1. Correct it sounds like it's at the steering column for sure.
2. Sound only surfaced in -10 and below
3. Mine doesn't sound like any squealing or creaking. It sounds like the video number 1 just very rapid. Or in video 2 at 3 seconds for a bit

It reminds me of 2 plastic gears skipping a notch.

This video sounds exactly like my ticking. Wish he didn't turn his damn signal light on

This one as well. But I don't have my turn signal on

Thanks for all your help CFM
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #13
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

These sounds can be very annoying, especially if the root cause is elusive. Please update this thread once a solution has been identified.
Appreciate 1