F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > DIY 6.5 to 8.8 L7 display retrofit swap for 2014+ f2x f3x
Studio RSR

01-20-2019, 10:29 PM   #309
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3; M235i

Is there a trick to getting the connector connected correctly? It feels like I have me it pushed all the way in, the coding is correct, but the screen still says “No Signal.”

Thanks in advance.

DBinOC
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #310
viajealmundo
Private
Rep
Drives: F32 428xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterpfaft View Post
Sorry to keep this thread alive and kicking, but i recently purchased the 8.8", with the product no. for pre LCI screen, as i have pre LCI F31, with 6.5" screen, and HU_ENTRYNAV. I had the screen installed and coded by a mechanic here in Adelaide, South Australia, followed the codes on this page and found that the resolution altered, but the screen itself would only display a reduced amount. Refer photos attached. He thinks the screen is faulty, but wondered if anyone had encountered this same issue, if maybe there was another code that needed adjusting, or if in fact it is a faulty screen. The spare parts place that i bought the screen off deny it is faulty, and are now saying its not compatible with my vehicle, after i provided them my VIN.

Appreciate any comments or suggestions, i thought this was going to be failsafe as i ticked all the boxes. Even avoided coding myself, thought id find a professional!

This isn't right. I would imagine there is an issue with the screen. As an FYI, I bought an LCI screen for my pre-LCI 4er and there were no issues. I would imagine that this screen is faulty, try to get a refund.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #311
viajealmundo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinOC View Post
Is there a trick to getting the connector connected correctly? It feels like I have me it pushed all the way in, the coding is correct, but the screen still says “No Signal.”

Thanks in advance.

DBinOC
All I had to do was push it in quite firmly. I would take a look behind the screen and confirm that it is all the way in.
Even without coding, when I turned on the ignition the screen would be lit up in black. After I coded no issues...
I would imagine that there is something wrong with the cable if this is the case, but it wouldn't make sense if your 6.5" screen still works without the No Signal error...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #312
viajealmundo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
I've combed through this post so many times and I find I'm left with more questions than answers it seems. I have a 2018 230i LCI that I would like to upgrade to the 8.8 display. Some questions I am hoping to find answers to

-Will the touch function work on the upgrade display?

-If I upgrade the controller will the touch function work on that as well?

-Will I have the ability to install Apple car play with the upgrade?

-Is there a way to connect a GPS antenna and have a fully functioning NAV system if I replaced the controller and screen?

-Is it more cost effective to just get the bimmertech screen and controller and use mirroring to use a nav app off my phone?

My goal is to have the larger screen and use nav apps off my iPhone while it's in the wireless charging cradle. Thanks in advance!
(1) The touch screen function will not work. I believe that this is a different screen entirely and you would need a new headunit for this to work. It wouldn't be worth it.

(2) Some people I believe have figured this out, but I would assume no for the same reason mentioned above.

(3) There is no way to do this OEM without swapping the headunit (mentioned above) and also probably adding things like Nav... of course Bimmertech will offer you a set, but it is much too expensive in my opinion.

(4) Again, a place like Bimmertech would be able to do this for you, but it would not really be feasible to do yourself. There are several different parts to be able to add the Navigation retrofit, and it would not be worth it in my opinion.

(5) If your GOAL is to mirror your iPhone, then yes, Bimmertech would be cheaper because they are pretty much the only people offering this feature. BMW does not offer phone mirroring on iDrive. It would also be smart to go with Bimmertech if you want the full Navigation retrofit, which will bring you CarPlay. I was originally going to go for this, but the upgrade was $2499 for the screen and navigation (and thus CarPlay capabilities). That being said it is probably smarter to not fool around with that at all unless you have a significant amount of time and money to spend on it. It was disappointing for me to find as well.

So, please keep in mind that this thread is just for upgrading the screen for cosmetic purposes. The goal of this thread is to change the 6.5" screen to 8.8" screen and controller because it looks better. No functionality is really added to the screen other than a few features, so this is probably not what you are looking for and why this thread is so confusing to you.

Many people on this thread don't actually want or need the navigation and thus didn't opt for that package, but regret the smaller screen. I was in this situation as I got my 428i without nav but immediately noticed the smaller screen and I didn't like it. So I followed this thread to swap it, and I think it adds so much to the interior of my BMW, especially since the iDrive screen is such a vital part of the car.

I would create a thread focusing on the issue of navigation or phone mirroring to help you out. I know people have done various navigation retrofits, and this usually almost always includes the larger screen. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #313
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330eX

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

DBinOC
The connector is connected properly if the screen shows the "No Signal" message (hence it wouldn't display anything if it didn't receive any power input, would it? ). You either didn't code all values properly, or the screen is not compatible with your head unit (wrong part no.).

Post more details (your car type, month and year of manufacture, screen part no., etc.) so we can try to figure out what's wrong with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #314
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viajealmundo View Post
All I had to do was push it in quite firmly. I would take a look behind the screen and confirm that it is all the way in.
Even without coding, when I turned on the ignition the screen would be lit up in black. After I coded no issues...
I would imagine that there is something wrong with the cable if this is the case, but it wouldn't make sense if your 6.5" screen still works without the No Signal error...
Yes, I confirmed twice that it was all the way in. I just put my 6.5 screen back in to confirm it isn't the connector. The original screen came up blank until I coded everything back. I think I might have a defective screen, which is a bummer.

Thanks for your help.

DBinOC
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #315
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I confirmed twice that it was all the way in. I just put my 6.5 screen back in to confirm it isn't the connector. The original screen came up blank until I coded everything back. I think I might have a defective screen, which is a bummer.

Thanks for your help.

DBinOC
You either have a defective screen or a screen that isn't compatible with your head unit.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:36 PM   #316
viajealmundo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoSK View Post
You either have a defective screen or a screen that isn't compatible with your head unit.
This is actually a good point, MarkoSK. Some people have had issues with putting LCI screens in their pre-LCI vehicles. It may not be so much an issue with the screen, but rather your car's power to the screen.

Regardless, if you bought the sucker on eBay, I would return it immediately. Whether it works or is not compatible is irrelevant; if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #317
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The connector is connected properly if the screen shows the "No Signal" message (hence it wouldn't display anything if it didn't receive any power input, would it? ). You either didn't code all values properly, or the screen is not compatible with your head unit (wrong part no.).

Post more details (your car type, month and year of manufacture, screen part no., etc.) so we can try to figure out what's wrong with it.
Thanks for helping out. That was my thought, too - I wouldn't be seeing anything if the connector wasn't on correctly.

Car: 2015 M235i (4/2015 build date)
New Screen Part: 65509387547
Old Screen Part: 65509270391

My car does not have a navigation system, but I don't think that should make a difference, since it is late enough build date that the screen should work.

I coded the 2 different values under HU_NBT as specified.

Thanks again for your assistance. At this point, I think it might be a flaky screen.

DBinOC
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:40 PM   #318
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is actually a good point, MarkoSK. Some people have had issues with putting LCI screens in their pre-LCI vehicles. It may not be so much an issue with the screen, but rather your car's power to the screen.

Regardless, if you bought the sucker on eBay, I would return it immediately. Whether it works or is not compatible is irrelevant; if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
On a side note - I can confirm that a LCI screen works in a pre-LCI car (see this thread for details). However, it cannot be the newest type of screen (for EVO or iDrive 6 head units), must be from 2015-2017 if car was made 2014-2017.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #319
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for helping out. That was my thought, too - I wouldn't be seeing anything if the connector wasn't on correctly.

Car: 2015 M235i (4/2015 build date)
New Screen Part: 65509387547
Old Screen Part: 65509270391

My car does not have a navigation system, but I don't think that should make a difference, since it is late enough build date that the screen should work.

Thanks again for your assistance. At this point, I think it might be a flaky screen.

DBinOC
You should have the HU_ENTRYNAV head unit (which supports basic/business nav, but has it disabled from factory) and I think the screen you bought should work, so it's probably broken...

Nonetheless, you may try part no. 65509385202, which should work 100% with your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #320
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You should have the HU_ENTRYNAV head unit (which supports basic/business nav, but has it disabled from factory) and I think the screen you bought should work, so it's probably broken...

Nonetheless, you may try part no. 65509385202, which should work 100% with your car.
Thanks again. Yes, I was looking for that part, but when I saw the one I bought, it looked like it should work. <shrug>

Thanks again for your help. Looks like I need to return it.

DBinOC
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:18 PM   #321
viajealmundo
Private
Rep

Quote:
I can confirm that you actually have the same headunit as me -- I modified code under HU_NBT as well. The screen should work with no problems, I would strongly suggest you have a faulty screen. However, if this happens again, we might have a bigger problem...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:20 PM   #322
viajealmundo
Private
Rep

Quote:
On a side note - I can confirm that a LCI screen works in a pre-LCI car (see this thread for details). However, it cannot be the newest type of screen (for EVO or iDrive 6 head units), must be from 2015-2017 if car was made 2014-2017.
Thank you for clarifying. Yes, I purchased an LCI screen and was almost certain it wouldn't work given the feedback on certain forums. To my surprise, it worked with no problem and looks MUCH better than pre-LCI. My unit is from a 2016, whilst my car is a 2015.

The other screen from EVO/ID6 is the touch screen version, if I'm correct. I know those don't work without swapping the headunit. I was looking for the latest screen that would be compatible with my iDrive/headunit, but I suppose I read some bogus about the LCI screen needing more voltage... that's obviously not the case.

Thanks for clarifying, glad we're in the same boat.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #323
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The other screen from EVO/ID6 is the touch screen version, if I'm correct. I know those don't work without swapping the headunit. I was looking for the latest screen that would be compatible with my iDrive/headunit, but I suppose I read some bogus about the LCI screen needing more voltage... that's obviously not the case.
Yep, the 8.8" EVO touch screen won't work with HU_ENTRYNAV or even with HU_ENTRYNAV2 (the newer version with tiles menu from 2017). Someone tested it and had to get the (older) non-touch screen, which worked okay.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #324
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I can confirm that you actually have the same headunit as me -- I modified code under HU_NBT as well. The screen should work with no problems, I would strongly suggest you have a faulty screen. However, if this happens again, we might have a bigger problem...
Thanks, everyone.

At this point, I am returning the screen and will wait for my strained neck to feel better before trying again. It wasn't putting the new screen in, it was putting the original screen back in. Literally - a pain in the neck. <grin>

DBinOC
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:11 AM   #325
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, the 8.8" EVO touch screen won't work with HU_ENTRYNAV or even with HU_ENTRYNAV2 (the newer version with tiles menu from 2017). Someone tested it and had to get the (older) non-touch screen, which worked okay.
You saved me hundreds with this post. I was hours away from pulling the trigger on one on eBay for $500. Ended up getting a L7 screen out of 2016 235i for $300. Arrives tomorrow afternoon! Can't wait to complete the install
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:23 PM   #326
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
So I finally purchased a screen to complete this mod after months with an alert saved on eBay. I picked up a CID screen for a MY2016 235i so I wouldn't have to worry about the backing being wrong. To my surprise, apparently the MY2018 uses the same backing as a F3x..? I purchased a model with an exact match to one listed as compatible on real OEM so I'm not sure if I'm just missing something here..? Pictures for reference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #327
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You saved me hundreds with this post. I was hours away from pulling the trigger on one on eBay for $500. Ended up getting a L7 screen out of 2016 235i for $300. Arrives tomorrow afternoon! Can't wait to complete the install
Glad we could've helped, enjoy your new (larger) screen!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #328
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Glad we could've helped, enjoy your new (larger) screen!
Haha well I returned that one and picked up an alpine for an F30 626 part number. I should be good this time. If anyone is looking for a pre LCi screen for an F22 there is one eBay sold by m&m auto recycling. I made an offer for $300 and they accepted.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:27 PM   #329
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Haha well I returned that one and picked up an alpine for an F30 626 part number. I should be good this time. If anyone is looking for a pre LCi screen for an F22 there is one eBay sold by m&m auto recycling. I made an offer for $300 and they accepted.
PM me your VIN and I'll check what screen you should get in order for the backplate to match your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 06:15 PM   #330
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
PM me your VIN and I'll check what screen you should get in order for the backplate to match your car.
VB98560

When I looked the alpine F3x Touch versions are what came up as the first choices. I did see where someone said it doesn't work though. I saw a lot of people using the 626 version so snagged up one of those off eBay for $250. Looks like perfect condition, but we will see tomorrow when it comes in.
Appreciate 0