F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > '16 F30 issues with BT Streaming (Android/Tech Package)
Extreme Powerhouse

09-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #1
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

'16 F30 issues with BT Streaming (Android/Tech Package)

I have a Google Pixel. Relatively hassle/trouble free when using Google Play Music but I recently discovered and much prefer Spotify. Google Play Music app kept trying to hijack the connection everytime I connected to my car. I tried using an app to set preferences on what app opens when there is a BT connection but still won't work unless I use the iDrive "connections" menu and disable/enable BT. If I get a phone call the music pauses fine but it won't start up again, even if I hit play on my phone.

Does anybody have a solution or has dealt with this? I'm genuinely ready to give up on BMW over this. It affects me every single time I get in my car and then again everytime I get a phone call.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
I have a Google Pixel. Relatively hassle/trouble free when using Google Play Music but I recently discovered and much prefer Spotify. Google Play Music app kept trying to hijack the connection everytime I connected to my car. I tried using an app to set preferences on what app opens when there is a BT connection but still won't work unless I use the iDrive "connections" menu and disable/enable BT. If I get a phone call the music pauses fine but it won't start up again, even if I hit play on my phone.

Does anybody have a solution or has dealt with this? I'm genuinely ready to give up on BMW over this. It affects me every single time I get in my car and then again everytime I get a phone call.
Have you tried loading the USB/Bluetooth update on the BMW website?
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
ScribL3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
this is an issue with Google not BMW. I have the same issue since installing he new OREO update
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #4
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I checked that and it says my car is up to date.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScribL3 View Post
this is an issue with Google not BMW. I have the same issue since installing he new OREO update
I don't believe that. I am in rental cars all the time and never have any trouble with Toyota, Ford or Chevy vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update: I am in town visiting my parents and my mom has a brand new '18 530e. I tried hooking up to her car and seeing what happened. Spotify immediately shows up in the "media" menu, however, when clicking on it the track and album art will display and I can do nothing. No sound from the phone (though occasionally when initially opening Spotify on iDrive I hear 1 second of music then it cuts out). Additionally, I cannot get the car to play anything when just selecting my phone in the media menu. It just shows "Unknown Track/Unknown Artist" and no sound. Hitting "next track" through iDrive or on the steering wheel changes the song on my phone which is "playing" but again...no sound.

It's just so frustrating because my rental Toyota Camry connected immediately and had precisely zero issues. It even shows album art!! I have lost a lot of respect for BMW over this. It's just crazy to have so many problems with something as simple as bluetooth streaming in a 2018 car (and my 2016. I had a '12 328i a few years back that had the same problems so basically in 6 years they haven't bothered to fix Android compatibility). I would genuinely return my F30 right now if I could over this.

No issues, problems, concerns or complaints elsewhere on the car - just so so so frustrated. I have to take it in for an oil change in a couple weeks, I'm going to tell them to fix it or I'm going to escalate to BMW NA and try to get out of the lease.

Last edited by ScarecrowBoat; 09-20-2017 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #7
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Do you use Google Play music at all, if not Perhaps uninstall (or disable) the application, and that should hopefully should resolve it ?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #8
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleruckus View Post
Do you use Google Play music at all, if not Perhaps uninstall (or disable) the application, and that should hopefully should resolve it ?
I've done that. I'm going to use my sister's old iPod for Spotify until I can get somebody to takeover my lease. If I used an iPhone this would be no problem but I can't due to work constraints so it's either the car starts working with the phone as it should or the car is gone.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #9
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Did you recently update to Oreo (8.0)? My 2016 F30 340i w/nav was working on 7.1.2 but on Oreo BT Audio no longer works. Annoyingly it worked the first time I paired the car and then after that, no more. Sometimes I can get it to play from pocketcasts but no Artist/Track info is displayed. I too checked bmw.com/update and it said my car is up to date, but I don't believe it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #10
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcrunch View Post
Did you recently update to Oreo (8.0)? My 2016 F30 340i w/nav was working on 7.1.2 but on Oreo BT Audio no longer works. Annoyingly it worked the first time I paired the car and then after that, no more. Sometimes I can get it to play from pocketcasts but no Artist/Track info is displayed. I too checked bmw.com/update and it said my car is up to date, but I don't believe it.
Yeah, I did. That was when it became completely unstable. I just hooked up my sister's old iPod touch and everything works great. It's annoying though because I must use a hotspot for things that haven't been downloaded already (podcasts).
Appreciate 0