F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > PP82DSP won't connect to software
GetBMWParts

11-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
flysmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive M-sport edition

PP82DSP won't connect to software

I had the PP82 installed this week to my F30 along with the BSW S1 and Ghost subs kit. I had my installer connect a 10ft USB cable to it so I could access it easily with my laptop.

With the stereo on (and volume down), I connect the USB cable from the amp to my laptop and then start the DSP - PC Tool app.

The amp is not being recognized as connected. I downloaded v4.31 of the app from BimmerTech's site.

Should I try an older version of the app? I didn't think it would matter as the manual says that if the software detects an older firmware version, it would automatically update to the newer version.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Sorry I can't help...I just finished installing the same model amp in my X3 (F25). I haven't yet got to tuning business.
But, maybe you can help me out?
I need a users manual for the amp...can you post the PDF or link to where it can be found online?
Good luck, Thanks/Bill

Last edited by Wgosma; 11-03-2018 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Sorry I can't help...I just finished installing the same model amp in my X3 (F25). I haven't yet got to tuning business.
I need a users manual for the amp...can you post the PDF or link to where it can be found online?
Good luck, Thanks/Bill
Come on man, help yourself - that manual pdf is in the PP86DSP website... let the OP get his problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Try reinstalling the USB driver or use another USB cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysmith View Post
I had the PP82 installed this week to my F30 along with the BSW S1 and Ghost subs kit. I had my installer connect a 10ft USB cable to it so I could access it easily with my laptop.

With the stereo on (and volume down), I connect the USB cable from the amp to my laptop and then start the DSP - PC Tool app.

The amp is not being recognized as connected. I downloaded v4.31 of the app from BimmerTech's site.

Should I try an older version of the app? I didn't think it would matter as the manual says that if the software detects an older firmware version, it would automatically update to the newer version.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Good luck, Thanks/Bill
http://bfy.tw/KgZr
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 08:03 AM   #6
flysmith
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Try reinstalling the USB driver or use another USB cable.
Do you mean the DSP tool software? I'm not aware of any additional USB driver software, unless I'm missing something.

The cable was purchased new for the amp, but it is 10ft so perhaps I should go shorter.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #7
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you mean the DSP tool software? I'm not aware of any additional USB driver software, unless I'm missing something.

The cable was purchased new for the amp, but it is 10ft so perhaps I should go shorter.
Computer USB driver
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #8
flysmith
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Computer USB driver
Windows 10 - should be completely plug and play with any USB device.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 08:59 AM   #9
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Windows 10 - should be completely plug and play with any USB device.
How do you know USB port is working and driver installed correctly?

Quote:
The amp is not being recognized as connected.
Obviously SHOULD is not working.

http://bfy.tw/KgqJ
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #10
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I used to use a 15' with a Helix DSP.2 and it worked -it uses the same software.

Try any other USB cable. I also used to have quite a few bad USB cables -especially the cheapo eBay ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #11
flysmith
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
I used to use a 15' with a Helix DSP.2 and it worked -it uses the same software.

Try any other USB cable. I also used to have quite a few bad USB cables -especially the cheapo eBay ones.
I'll have to buy a couple more off of Amazon since got rid of my mini-USB cables over the years as nothing used them.

The car doesn't need to be running, right? Just the accessory power for the stereo to be on?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #12
flysmith
Enlisted Member
Rep

UPDATE - I downloaded version 3.xx of the DSP software, this version of the software included a separate USB Driver (you called it, IK6SPEED). I must have missed it in the documentation and assumed all drivers were part of the main DSP Tool install .exe file. The amp connected without a problem to the software. I presume it will now also connect to v4.3x as well, but didn't have time to test it as it's sitting parked outside of my local shop for major service.

I made the profile update which made an immediate change to the overall tone - SO much better. I still have to do some tweaking as the dash-mounted center just sounds a bit off (I have to notch a couple frequencies downward in the tool), but it's almost there.

Thanks, folks, for your replies and help.
Appreciate 0