F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Exhaust options - 435i
Extreme Powerhouse

04-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

UK Exhaust options - 435i

Wanted to gauge opinions with locally available options, the general exhaust forum has some good information but a lot of brands seem to be only sourced (currently at least) in the US.

I have been keeping an eye out on a MPE, priced have fluctuated drastically in the past 6 weeks. Cheapest available via a European main dealer was £680 without tips, recently eBay had a couple for £700 but all quickly back up to 900+ without tips

Had the pleasure of hearing a 440i with the MPPSK, this consists of a full catback system which isn't available or has an equivalent for the 435i.. I understand the MPE + MPPK is the nearest thing

Warranty aside am I right in saying, a straight mid pipe either made by an exhaust outfit, or the Remus midpipe/Akrapovic mid pipe leading to a axle back (mpe/remus) should produce a similar if not more of an aggressive tone with burbles, it's very feint at the moment and want to enjoy some more feedback.

Legalities wise, is a straight pipe a problem (I assume not if part of the MPPSK), I am aware of the cheaper CAT's are not MOT 'worthy' as they produce a code and are missing some component. Hence why I've avoided looking into changing this.

Also, is cutting the middle pipe resonator going to produce the same effect of a straight mid pipe at a much lower cost? What are the pros/cons to this vs the Remus/Akra mid pipes.

Insurance wise any replacement that is stainless steel is fine.. random I know but that's what the policy states, so good on that front.

I understand the potential dangers of a straight mid pipe with droning, previously fitted one to a older car and the drone was bad at 60-70mph. All posts I've read until now claim there isn't any droning with stock downpipe and straight pipe + MPE/other rear silencers.

Random link, but similar plans to this posted example
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

As long as you keep the cat in place there should be no issues.

The midpipe on the 35i has far less silencing than the midpipe on the 40i, deleting the small resonator, either cut and weld or with a fabricated new section isn't going to make that much difference.

The mpe on the 35i is better than the 40i as it retains the valve, that's the way I'd go.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
s1wnw
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 335i manual

I have a Remus back box on my 335i but it is not much louder than stock so in two months it is getting the Remus centre pipe and remap
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
I have a Remus back box on my 335i but it is not much louder than stock so in two months it is getting the Remus centre pipe and remap
You may be disappointed, there is very limited muffling in the mid section, 1 small resonator. A straight through mid pipe will offer very limited difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
s1wnw
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well that’s a bit disappointing. I am not sure what to do. I thought it would sound very similar to the Mppk
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
Well that’s a bit disappointing. I am not sure what to do. I thought it would sound very similar to the Mppk
The mppsk with flaps open is straight through from cat. If you want that then gut the backbox.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 03:41 AM   #7
s1wnw
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The thread above seems to suggest have a straight through pipe makes it sound much better even if the stock resonator is small
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 04:45 AM   #8
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Contact PCW exhaust mods to see what he can do. He's very busy but does good work.

https://www.facebook.com/Paulscarwelding/
      04-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #9
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
Contact PCW exhaust mods to see what he can do. He's very busy but does good work.

https://www.facebook.com/Paulscarwelding/
Looks quite interesting. Sent a message over eBay.

Wonder if he’d be able to set up a 340/440i MPE as well. Those pop up used in great condition every now and again. I’ve yet to see a used or new 435 MPE other than the same vendors for the past 6 months.

May be that the MPE makes no difference with the work he does, who knows.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 03:09 AM   #10
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

I'm in the same boat and want a bit more noise to come from my 435i

I saw a thread over on the FB group and this made me message Harry Fairbairn. They're wanting £780 with Chrome tips for the MPE or £925 with Carbon Tips.

So considerably cheaper than the prices you're seeing on eBay (excluding tips)!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #11
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintstream View Post
I'm in the same boat and want a bit more noise to come from my 435i

I saw a thread over on the FB group and this made me message Harry Fairbairn. They're wanting £780 with Chrome tips for the MPE or £925 with Carbon Tips.

So considerably cheaper than the prices you're seeing on eBay (excluding tips)!
That’s a good price, I realistically should’ve taken an offer of £732 December time from (I believe) Bluebell Crewe, but I wasn’t home for a few weeks due to work commitments abroad.

Chased up again but got a price of £900 lol.

I’ve actually gone for one of the above recommendations @ PCW, no availability until July but other x35i engines do sound good. Better than what I’ve heard from the MPE alone.

I cannot justify such a cost of the tips! I’m actually going to post a guide on the recent 4” carbon burner titanium tips I fitted. Everything I wanted aesthetically!

Cost was less than 1/3 of the price of one MPE carbon tip!

Do need to loosen the bolt and push them in a little further..

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 03:47 AM   #12
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTE View Post
That’s a good price, I realistically should’ve taken an offer of £732 December time from (I believe) Bluebell Crewe, but I wasn’t home for a few weeks due to work commitments abroad.

Chased up again but got a price of £900 lol.

I’ve actually gone for one of the above recommendations @ PCW, no availability until July but other x35i engines do sound good. Better than what I’ve heard from the MPE alone.

I cannot justify such a cost of the tips! I’m actually going to post a guide on the recent 4” carbon burner titanium tips I fitted. Everything I wanted aesthetically!

Cost was less than 1/3 of the price of one MPE carbon tip!

Do need to loosen the bolt and push them in a little further..

Yeah, it does seem to stick out a bit too far, but like it nonetheless!

Do you know if the PCW exhaust will work with the valve system on the car?

I want more crack, pops and volume in sport mode, but will not tolerate unnecessary noise/drone in comfort mode
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 07:56 AM   #13
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintstream View Post
Yeah, it does seem to stick out a bit too far, but like it nonetheless!

Do you know if the PCW exhaust will work with the valve system on the car?

I want more crack, pops and volume in sport mode, but will not tolerate unnecessary noise/drone in comfort mode

From what I've read he retains the functionality of flaps across the modes (so eco/comfort is quiet up to a certain RPM).

Here's a few relevant vids that got me interested. M235i, 435i, and 435i

https://www.facebook.com/Paulscarwel...4110453434157/

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=294802407794987

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1502448473216680
Appreciate 0