F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > B46/B48 Coolant Change Procedure
ARMA SPEED

01-11-2022, 02:24 PM   #1
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
B46/B48 Coolant Change Procedure

Looking at changing the coolant in both high and low systems soon, pH is creeping down a bit too low. I've done some searching and I've got the basic procedures down.

One thing I'm curious about, the technical manual mentions using a vacuum filling device and goes on about how the system absolutely cannot be refilled any other way. Says both the high and low systems absolutely must be filled with the vacuum filler. However, it says the same thing on the N20's single tank system, but every how to video/article I've read shows the owner just filling it up from the bottle like any other car before bleeding it.

I can't find any how-to video for the B48's two tank system, but I'm assuming it should be the same as the N20. Just to be on the safe side though, for those who have done a coolant change on their B48, did you do it with or without the vacuum filler?

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 09:48 AM   #2
SRHosein
Private First Class
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
Looking at changing the coolant in both high and low systems soon, pH is creeping down a bit too low. I've done some searching and I've got the basic procedures down.

One thing I'm curious about, the technical manual mentions using a vacuum filling device and goes on about how the system absolutely cannot be refilled any other way. Says both the high and low systems absolutely must be filled with the vacuum filler. However, it says the same thing on the N20's single tank system, but every how to video/article I've read shows the owner just filling it up from the bottle like any other car before bleeding it.

I can't find any how-to video for the B48's two tank system, but I'm assuming it should be the same as the N20. Just to be on the safe side though, for those who have done a coolant change on their B48, did you do it with or without the vacuum filler?
You do not need a vacuum filling device but if you have one it will be faster to get the air out. See below video.
(4:20)
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2022, 12:46 PM   #3
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRHosein View Post
You do not need a vacuum filling device but if you have one it will be faster to get the air out. See below video.
(4:20)
Thanks! I ended up getting one anyway just to be on the safe side.

Appreciate 0