F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Need urgent advice! 2016 BMW 328i DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION at the worst possible spot
Studio RSR

07-06-2021, 03:04 PM   #23
adamf30e90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by triax37 View Post
70 miles is pretty low, especially when going uphill. You probably had 2-3 gallons of gas, and with the incline, the fuel level sensor or even the pump could have had an issue. Or it might have thought it had an issue.

You're in a tough position since the car is not in your local area. If it were me, and the car was in my local area, I would drive it and see what codes, etc, came back. But being remote, I would (frustratingly) pay to have it fixed.

Some of these may be under warranty in CA - this post suggests it's a 7-year warranty, so your 2016 may be covered (if your car is a CA model):
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1437095
Thanks, i will keep that in mind and will check this out.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 05:23 PM   #24
adamf30e90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
70 miles is pretty low, especially when going uphill. You probably had 2-3 gallons of gas, and with the incline, the fuel level sensor or even the pump could have had an issue. Or it might have thought it had an issue.

You're in a tough position since the car is not in your local area. If it were me, and the car was in my local area, I would drive it and see what codes, etc, came back. But being remote, I would (frustratingly) pay to have it fixed.

Some of these may be under warranty in CA - this post suggests it's a 7-year warranty, so your 2016 may be covered (if your car is a CA model):
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1437095
You just helped me save lots of money. So they will cover the fuel pump but ekps... "I cannot submit request for EKPS because we would need a factory module and BMW is on a complete backorder for weeks"

I am not sure.. is this something that can wait and I can bring it home and have it done at nearby center. Ah! It is $600.
Appreciate 1
triax37130.00
      07-06-2021, 06:42 PM   #25
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamf30e90 View Post
You just helped me save lots of money. So they will cover the fuel pump but ekps... "I cannot submit request for EKPS because we would need a factory module and BMW is on a complete backorder for weeks"

I am not sure.. is this something that can wait and I can bring it home and have it done at nearby center. Ah! It is $600.
If the EKPS is considered an emissions related part it would be covered.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

07-06-2021, 06:47 PM   #26
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:

Is the LPFP installed already? If so u can ask dealer to test drive and see if EKPS code gets cleared.

Another option is to check if EKPS is also covered by emission warranty. If so, just ask dealer to provide loaner until backorder is filled(weeks?), and u can drive back north first.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 06:47 PM   #27
adamf30e90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
If the EKPS is considered an emissions related part it would be covered.
i understand but i can't make out the meaning from their response.. i dont know how these things work.. how can they deny a service because a part is backordered but if i pay - it will be fixed tomorrow? i want to given them benefit of doubt but its puzzling..

EDIT: it's non-OEM. I was not aware. I assumed dealership only does OEM parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 06:49 PM   #28
adamf30e90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Is the LPFP installed already? If so u can ask dealer to test drive and see if EKPS code gets cleared.

Another option is to check if EKPS is also covered by emission warranty. If so, just ask dealer to provide loaner until backorder is filled(weeks?), and u can drive back north first.
Not yet. They are going to put a non OEM part and claim it will be high quality but has 2yr warranty. Not sure if they will be reading this thread but shouldn't this be notified without having to ask. All their loaners are 100 miles max distance per day. If it's weeks, then likely won't reach the limit but highly doubt they can give a loaner for that long.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 06:54 PM   #29
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Not yet. They are going to put a non OEM part and claim it will be high quality but has 2yr warranty. Not sure if they will be reading this thread but shouldn't this be notified without having to ask.
BMWNA warranty(of any kind) requires genuine BMW parts to be installed. Non BMW part can void the warranty, unless dealer provides BMWNA letterheaded written proof that warranty will not be affected. Personally I will deny any non genuine BMW parts.

And no, warranty replacement is not just warranted for 2 years, but till the end of the factory warranty.

E.g. if the part is replaced under 15 years/150000 miles emission warranty, the replaced, genuine, BMW part needs to work till warranty expiration(in 15 years/150000 miles).
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2021, 07:57 PM   #30
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Whoa, hold up. You said you went to a BMW dealer, right? Why are they trying to sell you non-OEM parts?

There’s nothing wrong with non-OE, provided that they are of good quality and you know what you’re doing. But this ‘dealer’ trying to put aftermarket parts in your car under the table and feeding you some BS story about summer temps frying your fuel pump has me suspicious as hell.

Last edited by auburnf30x; 07-06-2021 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2021, 09:43 AM   #31
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Quote:

Quote:
BMWNA warranty(of any kind) requires genuine BMW parts to be installed. Non BMW part can void the warranty, unless dealer provides BMWNA letterheaded written proof that warranty will not be affected. Personally I will deny any non genuine BMW parts.

And no, warranty replacement is not just warranted for 2 years, but till the end of the factory warranty.

E.g. if the part is replaced under 15 years/150000 miles emission warranty, the replaced, genuine, BMW part needs to work till warranty expiration(in 15 years/150000 miles).
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
Whoa, hold up. You said you went to a BMW dealer, right? Why are they trying to sell you non-OEM parts?

There’s nothing wrong with non-OE, provided that they are of good quality and you know what you’re doing. But this ‘dealer’ trying to put aftermarket parts in your car under the table and feeding you some BS story about summer temps frying your fuel pump has me suspicious as hell.
Glad to read they are absorbing the fuel pump cost. But I agree with bavarianride and auburnf30x - this whole analysis seems a little questionable. Are your original parts actually damaged, or is the dealer just repairing them because you brought the car in and you've had their loaner for several days? Parts are delayed from Germany due to multiple issues, and non-OEM parts can be fine, but disclosure and transparency is important, too.

If you're willing to go through another battle, I suggest asking them to drive around for a bit with a full tank of gas to see if the codes come back again - I bet the codes won't come back. Then you pay BMW $200 for a diagnostic fee. Otherwise, you are probably stuck using their parts, OEM or non-OEM. Or maybe you can overnight parts from FCP Euro or even BMW of San Francisco, which usually has pretty good inventory (I used to live in SF).

Overall, out-of-town repairs are a tough situation. Sometimes I just do the best I can, at least limiting the cost, and move on to the next life battle.
Good luck!

Last edited by triax37; 07-07-2021 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: grammar...
Appreciate 2
sspade2464.50
      07-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #32
Danddd
Love rollin in my wagon
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 Saphire Black/Saddle

Quote:
Geez. How much did it cost you each time? They can't be this incompetent but i have seen worse.
Thankfully it was under warranty.
      07-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #33
adamf30e90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Since the car is 60k miles and warranty is until 70k.. i don't think the length will be an issue for the part. I appreciate this response, it makes sense and I didn't know of this.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #34
adamf30e90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Glad to read they are absorbing the fuel pump cost. But I agree with bavarianride and auburnf30x - this whole analysis seems a little questionable. Are your original parts actually damaged, or is the dealer just repairing them because you brought the car in and you've had their loaner for several days? Parts are delayed from Germany due to multiple issues, and non-OEM parts can be fine, but disclosure and transparency is important, too.

If you're willing to go through another battle, I suggest asking them to drive around for a bit with a full tank of gas to see if the codes come back again - I bet the codes won't come back. Then you pay BMW $200 for a diagnostic fee. Otherwise, you are probably stuck using their parts, OEM or non-OEM. Or maybe you can overnight parts from FCP Euro or even BMW of San Francisco, which usually has pretty good inventory (I used to live in SF).

Overall, out-of-town repairs are a tough situation. Sometimes I just do the best I can, at least limiting the cost, and move on to the next life battle.
Good luck!
I am assuming they will refund me diagnostic fee since its SULEV related issue under warranty.. due to my logistics.. it is cheaper to just pay for labor + ekps part / labor and get as much covered by warranty (reprogramming + diagnostic + fuel pump part).
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 05:48 PM   #35
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Since the car is 60k miles and warranty is until 70k.. i don't think the length will be an issue for the part. I appreciate this response, it makes sense and I didn't know of this.
Is your car a N26 with SULEV warranty? If so the LPFP will be covered for 15 years/150000 miles.

If the SoCal dealer replaces LPFP with non-BMW parts, the NorCal dealers very likely will not honor the 15 years/150000 miles warranty going forward.

The SoCal dealer's 2 year warranty also looks weird. Paid repair does get 2-years/unlimited miles warranty on parts from BMWNA, and most dealers cover labor too(not written on BMWNA invoice paperwork though).

Any 2-year warranty of non-BMW parts likely is only honored at that specific SoCal dealer.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #36
adamf30e90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Is your car a N26 with SULEV warranty? If so the LPFP will be covered for 15 years/150000 miles.

If the SoCal dealer replaces LPFP with non-BMW parts, the NorCal dealers very likely will not honor the 15 years/150000 miles warranty going forward.

The SoCal dealer's 2 year warranty also looks weird. Paid repair does get 2-years/unlimited miles warranty on parts from BMWNA, and most dealers cover labor too(not written on BMWNA invoice paperwork though).

Any 2-year warranty of non-BMW parts likely is only honored at that specific SoCal dealer.
You made great points. I convinced the dealer to use OEM ekps (were already going to use the oem fuel pump). Although regarding ekps.. it was mentioned the part hasn't gone completely bad for the warranty to be honored.. but it does give error code and the dealer had only recommended non-OEM ekps BECAUSE the part was / verge of failing (not safe to drive with as is).. does it need to completely blow up for warranty to cover it? Their own diagnostic tool showed error with ekps - shouldn't that be enough.. It is N26 SULEV.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #37
adamf30e90
Enlisted Member
Rep

SULEV should cover all costs (labor + parts + diagnostics + reprogramming) so I leave with $0 ideally right? Is there hidden costs?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #38
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You made great points. I convinced the dealer to use OEM ekps (were already going to use the oem fuel pump). Although regarding ekps.. it was mentioned the part hasn't gone completely bad for the warranty to be honored.. but it does give error code and the dealer had only recommended non-OEM ekps BECAUSE the part was / verge of failing (not safe to drive with as is).. does it need to completely blow up for warranty to cover it? Their own diagnostic tool showed error with ekps - shouldn't that be enough.. It is N26 SULEV.

Thanks
I agree. If it’s throwing a code and the dealer says it’s not safe to drive as is it ought to be covered by warranty.

07-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #39
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
SULEV should cover all costs (labor + parts + diagnostics + reprogramming) so I leave with $0 ideally right? Is there hidden costs?
The process usually is that customer authorizes diagnostics(e.g. $200?), and if problem is covered by BMWNA, then the diag fee will be paid by BMWNA.

There is no hidden fee for any covered and authorized repair.

And EKPS(fuel pump control module) should be covered under 15 years/150000 miles PZEV emission warranty, so there should be $0 cost provided dealer can prove that it fails to BMWNA.

If dealer cannot provide proof, that will mean the part is still working.

My suggestion is not to pay for any emission related repair(e.g. EKPS) when warranty is not yet expired. If the car does break down, BMWNA will still be on the hook to repair.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2021, 04:56 PM   #40
adamf30e90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The process usually is that customer authorizes diagnostics(e.g. $200?), and if problem is covered by BMWNA, then the diag fee will be paid by BMWNA.

There is no hidden fee for any covered and authorized repair.

And EKPS(fuel pump control module) should be covered under 15 years/150000 miles PZEV emission warranty, so there should be $0 cost provided dealer can prove that it fails to BMWNA.

If dealer cannot provide proof, that will mean the part is still working.

My suggestion is not to pay for any emission related repair(e.g. EKPS) when warranty is not yet expired. If the car does break down, BMWNA will still be on the hook to repair.
Dealership sort of mentioned this that they have to "prove" the part fails and volunteered to test the car and drive it 100 miles after fuel pump to see if the part breaks.. it's crazy.. they know from their experience part will break relatively quickly if ekps is not replaced (module is giving diagnostic error) but obviously its not enough to replace? I am hoping they can work out and get it replaced. If I am stranded, not only will the tow cost me hundreds but the inconvenience and all the risks associated with it. The part is giving errors and it is NOT safe option to leave the shop without it fixed. This should be enough to replace under warranty.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2021, 12:29 AM   #41
adamf30e90
Enlisted Member
Rep

DONE!

Just an update for everyone!

Got a voicemail from the tech that the car will be ready on Wed. Also - $0 cost because he was able to ultimately get everything covered under the SULEV warranty.

Couldn't have gotten here without everyone's responses and suggestions. Really appreciate it guys. You all helped me save lot of money.

As per my experience with the dealership, I am satisfied although I had to put in the work and push them to cover due to warranty. They didn't make it easy but I guess that is the business model.

As for the root cause, I guess I was driving at low fuel through the mountains for long duration? Not sure how else fuel pump low pressure failed. I am disappointed at BMW reliability - I will take precautions next time but for it fail me like it did.. i learned it the hard way. Still love driving this car. But will seriously consider my options before it gets past 70k and most of SULEV warranty goes away. Until then, hope to continue enjoying the best it has to offer.
Appreciate 3
      07-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #42
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Got a voicemail from the tech that the car will be ready on Wed. Also - $0 cost because he was able to ultimately get everything covered under the SULEV warranty.

Couldn't have gotten here without everyone's responses and suggestions. Really appreciate it guys. You all helped me save lot of money.

As per my experience with the dealership, I am satisfied although I had to put in the work and push them to cover due to warranty. They didn't make it easy but I guess that is the business model.

As for the root cause, I guess I was driving at low fuel through the mountains for long duration? Not sure how else fuel pump low pressure failed. I am disappointed at BMW reliability - I will take precautions next time but for it fail me like it did.. i learned it the hard way. Still love driving this car. But will seriously consider my options before it gets past 70k and most of SULEV warranty goes away. Until then, hope to continue enjoying the best it has to offer.
Thanks for the updates of a SULEV success story.

Last edited by bavarianride; 07-12-2021 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 11:32 AM   #43
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Great news! Glad to hear the good report.