F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Tesla Model 3 LR test drive
GetBMWParts

01-16-2022, 11:49 AM   #1
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Tesla Model 3 LR test drive

I borrowed a Model 3 Long Range for a 30 minute test drive last week. It's only the second time I have sat in one, the first being a very early LHD model about 3 years ago. At the time the build quality was really poor - it just felt very cheaply made - like an old Vauxhall Vectra. I have also driven a Model S about 6 years ago and been disappointed by the build quality.

The first thing to say is the improvement in the current Model 3 is quite significant - it is less well made than a G20 3 Series, but it's no longer a major downside. The G20 is tough benchmark as they raised their game a lot from the F3x in my view. The Model 3 I tried had a few rattles that would annoy me, but I'm more picky than average.

The performance was really impressive - the instant pick up is something only an EV can do. I'm not sure I see the point of the performance model as the LR really is quick enough.

The tech is very good. I missed the HUD, but the large screen for navigation is impressive. I also like the cameras which come as standard. When you indicate, the view from the side camera appears on the screen, which is a nice touch. I would much prefer some real buttons though. There was a recent article about an M3 being keyed in a shopping centre car park and the car's cameras captured it perfectly, leading to a prosecution. I didn't play with the Autopilot stuff - I don't even know if it was enabled.

A couple of times I hit the car's speed limiter on the test drive - I blame the lack of HUD! When I returned the car the sales person mention that his phone had been pinged a couple of times, but he was fine about it. Slightly Big Brother-esque though.

I felt that the handling was pretty average - perhaps like an F3x with xDrive, it leant a bit more than I would have liked and wasn't very precise. My 8GC handles a fair bit better despite its size and is more rewarding to drive in that respect. The seats were surprisingly good - they looked a little shapeless but were really comfortable - better than my 8GC.

Overall a very interesting test drive. I can see that Tesla is getting better all the time, and I can understand why it's taking market share, particularly as they are available so cheaply on some company schemes. At £50k it didn't seem expensive in today's weird car market, given all of the kit including glass roof and cameras.

One major downside for me would be distance to the nearest dealer. From the Lakes about 4 dealers are pretty much equidistant - all around a 4 hour round trip. I can imagine servicing or fault repairs being a real PITA. I expect, given their growth a dealer will appear somewhere closer quite soon.

So I'm not buying one, but can now understand why they seem to be selling so well.
Appreciate 5
Rbrown2765.50
mcoops1757.00
      01-16-2022, 11:55 AM   #2
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Very good write up, thanks.

From my point of view and with the current car market situation being so expensive, it'll be a company car for me in 2-3 years I think.

G20 330e or Tesla were always going to be top of my list, will have to test drive both closer to the time as things change so quickly and a facelift 3 is probably due in that time.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:01 PM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

All fair comment JD6 and I feel similar but with a change looming obviously opted for the M3LR.

A couple of interesting little updates coming with March cars. (It's gets very geeky with these cars and it's definitely worth keeping up to date on news):-

- Range increased to 389 for Feb/March update.
- Faster processing in the infotainment (I didn't think it was slow)
- The game changer for me could be the LFP batteries coming to the LR. Currently this chemistry is in the SR+ and it means there's not a worry charging all the to 100% and Tesla in-fact recommend it. This if we're at say 340-350 real miles (ignition the 389) that is a VERY weekly useful range probably means charging just every 3-4 days for me. Thai is till not 100% confirmed but looks likely. Once I have my VIN I can confirm
- Software is always updating. Most owners didn't seem to like the changes to V11.
- The blind spot monitor (sun silt to Hyundai Ioniq) is good but it's clearly been design for LHD as you left hand on the indicator blocks the central screen somewhat. Lots of feedback so no doubt in a next update this might move higher up the screen.
DB118D1026.00
      01-16-2022, 02:12 PM   #4
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
All fair comment JD6 and I feel similar but with a change looming obviously opted for the M3LR.

A couple of interesting little updates coming with March cars. (It's gets very geeky with these cars and it's definitely worth keeping up to date on news):-

- The game changer for me could be the LFP batteries coming to the LR. Currently this chemistry is in the SR+ and it means there's not a worry charging all the to 100% and Tesla in-fact recommend it. This if we're at say 340-350 real miles (ignition the 389) that is a VERY weekly useful range probably means charging just every 3-4 days for me. Thai is till not 100% confirmed but looks likely. Once I have my VIN I can confirm
- Software is always updating. Most owners didn't seem to like the changes to V11.
- The blind spot monitor (sun silt to Hyundai Ioniq) is good but it's clearly been design for LHD as you left hand on the indicator blocks the central screen somewhat. Lots of feedback so no doubt in a next update this might move higher up the screen.
You won't keep it long enough to care about charging it to 100% on a regular basis will you?

My best mate has a M3 LR. His is around 2 1/2 years old now as his was one of the first in the UK - his is sitting at around 290 miles to a full charge.

He's had a few issues, but nothing overly major although more as it's got older. He's just had to have the rear screen replaced, some USBs keep stopping working and Sentry the Dashcam thing has been very temperamental.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      01-16-2022, 02:57 PM   #5
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
My best mate has a M3 LR. His is around 2 1/2 years old now as his was one of the first in the UK - his is sitting at around 290 miles to a full charge.
Out of interest what does it do to that range if he starts using a bit more of the performance? For example, if he's doing low 80's as opposed to 70 on the motorway does that have a significant impact?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:07 PM   #6
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:
Out of interest what does it do to that range if he starts using a bit more of the performance? For example, if he's doing low 80's as opposed to 70 on the motorway does that have a significant impact?
By a lot, when you get anything above 60mph it drops off rapid. We came back from Gretna Green to Preston so 111 miles, at mid 80.

He'd charged up at Gretna to 90% by the time we got back to Preston he was on 25%.

Going up there we took the scenic route, so was probably averaging 40mph and it's a lot more efficient at them speeds.
Appreciate 2
JD64270.50
      01-16-2022, 03:21 PM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

You won't keep it long enough to care about charging it to 100% on a regular basis will you?

He's had a few issues, but nothing overly major although more as it's got older. He's just had to have the rear screen replaced, some USBs keep stopping working and Sentry the Dashcam thing has been very temperamental.
Haha I know I know. Thanks EDrPC. This car is a lease and thus I've made it impossible for chop and change.

Now a 718 Spyder or GT4 joining it… well that would be nice
      01-16-2022, 03:24 PM   #8
Shakmeister5000
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 30d

Great write up. I haven’t test drive a g20 yet, but coming from an E90 into an F30 felt like a massive jump in terms of the feel, the design, build quality etc. they have fairly set the bench mark for other car manufacturers back then and I can imagine going into a g20 will also be the same.

My brother has the model 3 LR, in all honesty it wasn’t really for me, yes the electric is the future, but it doesn’t have the sound where a petrol or a Diesel engine make (maybe I’m just used to the sounds and going into an electric just felt strange from not having any authentic noise from the engine)

It took me a bit of time getting used to the gear select on the right stick and not having a speedo behind the steering wheel but I was impressed with the big screen. You can have lots of fun on it when your in the Easter egg. The performance for straight lines is there, no split second delay for gear changes, but when you’re cornering, you can feel the weight transition to the side making it quite unsteady when you’re wanting to do some enthusiastic driving

As mentioned previous, the sentry mode tend work when it wants to
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:34 PM   #9
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
By a lot, when you get anything above 60mph it drops off rapid. We came back from Gretna Green to Preston so 111 miles, at mid 80.

He'd charged up at Gretna to 90% by the time we got back to Preston he was on 25%.

Going up there we took the scenic route, so was probably averaging 40mph and it's a lot more efficient at them speeds.
I'm beginning to see why the authorities are so keen to get everyone into EV's - nowt to do with the environment, it's just a cunning plan to get everyone to drive more slowly!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 05:49 PM   #10
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:

No surprise there. I recall reading years ago that over about 55mph drag starts to rise as the cube of the speed. From 60 to 70 is roughly a 14% increase in speed, but if the cube rule applies, the energy required has gone up by 49%.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 01:42 AM   #11
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Quote:

No surprise there. I recall reading years ago that over about 55mph drag starts to rise as the cube of the speed. From 60 to 70 is roughly a 14% increase in speed, but if the cube rule applies, the energy required has gone up by 49%.
Doesn't seem to effect an ICE car as much though? Like mine didn't reduce the fuel tank by 65%, it seemed to like the longer run and be as efficient as just knocking about.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 02:13 AM   #12
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Doesn't seem to effect an ICE car as much though? Like mine didn't reduce the fuel tank by 65%, it seemed to like the longer run and be as efficient as just knocking about.
Yes above 75 makes a difference. Handily I rarely crack on at 90 or whatever on a motorway these days as there's barely anywhere you can without cameras and what not.

This site is quite good. Interesting to see city and low speed Tesla M3LR is rated 405 miles.

https://ev-database.uk/car/1321/Tesl...nge-Dual-Motor

I wonder if as things evolve there will be more EVs with more of a motorway gearing. The Taycan has gears but has some of the most disappointing range for car size/price…. so who knows
      01-17-2022, 03:36 AM   #13
bytejunkie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
drag increases as a multiple of speed, roughly square of the increase (because drag is a square of the velocity).

so double the speed, quadruple the drag.

it doesnt start at 55mph at all, its from 0.

it isnt as linear as an equation suggest, because cars change shape a little (go round a corner and drag changes as you present a different frontage to the direction of travel, wings/ spoilers appear on fancy cars etc etc)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:59 AM   #14
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There's no doubt increased drag has an effect on fuel consumption in ICE cars but it feels like there's more to it than that with EV's - from what you and others are saying the range reduction seems to be of an altogether different magnitude if you stray 10mph above the motorway limit.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 05:53 AM   #15
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
There's no doubt increased drag has an effect on fuel consumption in ICE cars but it feels like there's more to it than that with EV's - from what you and others are saying the range reduction seems to be of an altogether different magnitude if you stray 10mph above the motorway limit.
I agree - there must be more to it than just drag. My 840i has something like a 500 mile range at 90mph which is useful as I like to do a 300 mile run in the late evening without stopping. I could manage with a 350 mile range at 90mph though.

It sounds like the M3 LR owned by a friend of EvilDrPorkChop has a 171 mile (111/0.65) range at mid 80s so even with the improved battery in the new M3 LR, that suggests a 229 mile range (171*389/290) at mid 80s. We're quite some way off a 350 mile range at 90mph.

If speed makes such a disproportionate difference to range in EVs, that probably explains why Teslas and other EVs are usually pottering along in lane 1.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 06:07 AM   #16
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post

If speed makes such a disproportionate difference to range in EVs, that probably explains why Teslas and other EVs are usually pottering along in lane 1.
This has always been the issue for me. Great for day to day commuting and every day life for sure, but if you regularly do long journeys, say Scotland to Midlands and South then you probably have to curtail speed on the areas where you can cruise steadily at 80ish, in order to only stop say two times rather than three.

So right now, for me, still feels like Electric is in addition to having another ICE car or hybrid.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 11:34 AM   #17
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
This has always been the issue for me. Great for day to day commuting and every day life for sure, but if you regularly do long journeys, say Scotland to Midlands and South then you probably have to curtail speed on the areas where you can cruise steadily at 80ish, in order to only stop say two times rather than three.

So right now, for me, still feels like Electric is in addition to having another ICE car or hybrid.
That may apply to other EVs, but the Tesla Supercharger network (with the car pre-conditioning the battery ready to charge at max rate, as standard) means you can fill the battery to 80-90% easily with a 30 min food stop.

I did North Notts to Swansea (217 miles) last year, with the kids (so 2 stops would be the usual for 7yo bladders!).
Left with 95%, stopped at Hopwood Park (35 min) for lunch - back to 100% within 30 min.
Stopped at Sarn on the M4 for loo break & snack (20 min) - back to 88%. Arrived in Swansea with 54%, ample to potter about family without sweating on charging for a few nights.
Charged to 83% before leaving Swansea, charged again at Hopwood to a charger-limited 80% due to being v busy (single stop this time as girls slept most of the way), and home with 36%.

Motorways I kept to 75-80 depending on traffic / cameras / smart m'way, duals were 70-75 unless lower speed limit indicated.

I have no qualms about a long journey in my M3LR, and while I might have done 4-5 hour runs in the BMW without a break, I was younger then!
Autopilot was also an absolute boon in roadworks, as I could engage with the girls more and move a little without worrying. I find it a bit too twitchy for my tastes at full m'way speeds, but up to 50 in moderate-heavy traffic it was quite relaxing.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17485.50
      01-17-2022, 11:42 AM   #18
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Good write up, thanks - and, yes, they are EVERYWHERE. The most popular new car in my immediate area from what I can see. Lots of Kia e-Niros too.
      01-17-2022, 03:37 PM   #19
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I agree - there must be more to it than just drag. My 840i has something like a 500 mile range at 90mph which is useful as I like to do a 300 mile run in the late evening without stopping. I could manage with a 350 mile range at 90mph though.

It sounds like the M3 LR owned by a friend of EvilDrPorkChop has a 171 mile (111/0.65) range at mid 80s so even with the improved battery in the new M3 LR, that suggests a 229 mile range (171*389/290) at mid 80s. We're quite some way off a 350 mile range at 90mph.

It is laughable really JD6, driving up to Thurso week before last I lost count of the number of EV cars I saw crawling along at 55ish in areas where 80 at least was possible, my little UP zoomed past them

And all this nonsense about stopping for a 'P Break' every few hours........ unless you have a major 'Waterworks' problem ....... even at my advanced age 4 or 5 hours shouldnt be a problem between 'comfort stops' And even then I would say a really bad case of constipation wouldnt warrant a stop of 30 minutes

Sorry but for long distances EV just isnt there yet, I think they are great for knocking around locally but they have to get alot better before I will have one as a main car.
Appreciate 3
sahajesh2294.00
KRS_SN13510.50
      01-17-2022, 05:13 PM   #20
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
And all this nonsense about stopping for a 'P Break' every few hours........ unless you have a major 'Waterworks' problem ....... even at my advanced age 4 or 5 hours shouldnt be a problem between 'comfort stops' And even then I would say a really bad case of constipation wouldnt warrant a stop of 30 minutes
I don't get this either. For a while I was doing a weekly commute between North Yorkshire and the South West (just North of Bristol) and, depending on traffic, it would take 3 to 4 hours each way; used to go down on a Monday morning and head back Friday afternoon and never used to stop, just wanted to get on with it and get there. Ditto when travelling with work between North Yorkshire and Kent.....
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 02:24 AM   #21
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
I don't get this either. For a while I was doing a weekly commute between North Yorkshire and the South West (just North of Bristol) and, depending on traffic, it would take 3 to 4 hours each way; used to go down on a Monday morning and head back Friday afternoon and never used to stop, just wanted to get on with it and get there. Ditto when travelling with work between North Yorkshire and Kent.....
Agree. We have two young kids, and regularly do Surry to York, approx 200 miles. Very rarely need to stop, and if we do, 5 minutes in and out.

I get the EV thing, but find the idea that you 'only' have to do one or two half hour stops at the services quite off-putting
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 02:32 AM   #22
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Love it!

Please please keep this up.

The less uptake the more chargers for me.