F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > What alcohol do drink?
GetBMWParts

01-23-2022, 08:46 AM   #23
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Another non-drinker here... Not even the odd social one, anymore... Well, maybe I do imbibe now and again... 1 or 2 drinks in total a year...

But I sank a few battleships worth with my booze consumption in the past, and I really wasn't fussy in the slightest... cheapest was best... and usually the quickest way to oblivion was preferred... Professional standard loaded and blotto by bedtime was the aim...

I don't miss it in the slightest... I have no reason to drink these days stopped the heavy loading maybe 12/13 years ago and have been "dry" for 6/7 years now....
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 1
Wills28618.00
      01-23-2022, 09:47 AM   #24
D69GMB
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nothing for me either. Much prefer the feeling of waking up with a clear head.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 12:47 PM   #25
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManor View Post
Wish I hadn’t bothered now
If it makes you feel better, I'm partial to a glass or two, as is almost everyone I know.

In a pub it's normally a ale of some sort, generally the lighter the better. Dark are for a cold winters afternoon in front of a roaring fire.

Meals, generally a red or white wine, depending on what I'm eating.

Very rarely drink spirits.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 01:19 PM   #26
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
Just enjoyed a Burns night with local friends. Tried several whiskeys and my favourite was in a “polished glass” smooth green bottle - does that help?
Deveron single malt aged 12 years
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 01:39 PM   #27
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManor View Post
The amazing 19 crimes for me, their cheapest shiraz is the sweetest spot, started off with a couple of pints of Guinness and black.

Also very partial to a sour Mai Tai, that’s how my Friday evening started……
A mate got me a bottle of the 19 Crimes for Christmas. Not had it yet.

We like Jip Jip Rocks Shiraz when we have red.

Generally if I'm drinking watching tv then it's Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc.

Then maybe a Disaranno or chocolate Baileys before bed.

Whilst I like a nice glass of wine or champagne, I can take or leave alcohol generally. Depending on how my shifts fall I can easily go 3-4 weeks without drinking.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:11 PM   #28
too hot
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: None

Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire��

RS4

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:26 PM   #29
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

A decent red, actually I'm not that fussy also a decent beer (lager or ale)

What I can't really do is spirits. That comes down to an incident when I was 15. It involved a school canal trip, scotch and drambuie folllowed the next morning by a trip around the Carlsberg brewery in Northampton

My dad was a hard drinking Jock, it's probably good that nature filters these things out ...for my sake.

Latest hobby is home brew beer. It actually tastes better than the mass market supermarket dross and is a damned site cheaper.
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2215.00
      01-24-2022, 03:59 PM   #30
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
Latest hobby is home brew beer. It actually tastes better than the mass market supermarket dross and is a damned site cheaper.
I'm sure you've mentioned that before. Kits I assume? Which ones have you tried so far? It's been a few years since I made any (before lockdown v1 I think!) but there are some great ones out there, my favourites were the Youngs American Amber Ale and their American Pale Ale. I used to use brewers malt extract rather than sugar and use a little less than the recipe called for, that way you'd still get a good rich flavour but without so much alcohol. Coopers Australian Pale Ale was a good one too (I always liked it when you could get it over here bottled too).

Off the shelf I try not to drink too much as I'm very aware of how it impacts my mood and energy but I like the taste of good stuff.

Wines I tend to get from Naked now as their stuff is pretty much all superb and when it's not, they replace it. I just stick in £25 a month and then place an order every 4 months, that way you don't really notice the £15-20 a bottle and you get some outstanding stuff for the occasions you drink wine. Galodoro Reserva is one of my faves.

Beers I tend to like more ales and porters than lagers, so my current faves are from the Applecross brewery, Cromarty brewery and the Broughton brewery. Cairngorm Trade Winds, Skye Gold and Inveralmond Lia Fail are favourites too.

Whisky is my favourite though, and generally I go for individual cask bottlings rather than off the shelf blended singles. While my favourites are always going to be Islay malts, I like all! Glenfarclas 105 is so rich and Christmassy and Ardbeg 10yr old has surpassed Lagavulin 18 as my all time favourite, although the memories the smell of Lagavulin brings back means I do have a bottle sat there! James Eadie produce some brilliant individual bottlings as do the Provenance range, and both are usually cheaper than the Gordon & Macphail ones. Sometimes it's interesting going into the local whisky shops up here, particularly the independents like Cadenheads as they quite often have some very unique dregs in that they've bottled; I've had a Lagavulin that looked almost like water it was so pale, and a Bowmore which looked almost like tar. Both were incredible and utterly unique, and at about £80-90 a bottle actually rather good value.

I'm not an alcoholic, honest!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 04:06 PM   #31
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Tonight's tipple while on the road in Glasgow
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 04:20 PM   #32
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

do love a really heavy strong smooth red wine. My favourite is Amarone but it's not cheap, 19 crimes is nice though.

I have been with Laithwaites wine for a while now and a bit bored of their selection so may may try someone else.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 04:21 PM   #33
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
I'm sure you've mentioned that before. Kits I assume? Which ones have you tried so far? It's been a few years since I made any (before lockdown v1 I think!) but there are some great ones out there, my favourites were the Youngs American Amber Ale and their American Pale Ale. I used to use brewers malt extract rather than sugar and use a little less than the recipe called for, that way you'd still get a good rich flavour but without so much alcohol. Coopers Australian Pale Ale was a good one too (I always liked it when you could get it over here bottled too).
Yes I think you did Ennoch, you spotted the Youngs brew kit in my garage. I actually got around to making the brew around early November (lager). I did a bit of research and kept it brewing for longer than the instructions, bottled it and chucked it in the spare bedroom where the temps were about right...I think

So I got about 40 500ml bottles and it actually tastes much better than some of the waccoe stuff I got for xmas pressies....Staffordshire / Piddle etc...it doesn't really taste like lager more a light ale.

Anyway I'm now brewing a Wilko kit, a Mexican Cervesa, it gets decent reviews and I reckon its probably a fail safe option for my second brew before I go onto some ales like you mentioned.

Malt extract rather than sugar is a decent tip, I'm ready to bottle the second batch this week once I've checked its gravity.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 02:30 AM   #34
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Was given a Pinter 2 for Xmas, just on the first brew, still learning the little foibles but so far really enjoying the first one called Haus of Hops.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:43 AM   #35
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

Not in any particular order, lager, wine (red & white) gin & whisky mainly for myself. On the lager front the perfect draft machine I bought for the log cabin I built is a game changer, lots of choice of 6L kegs including IPA's etc to load into it & they all taste far better than the equivalent bottles/cans you can buy. It's not a cheap way of home drinking but driving a BMW isn't the cheapest way of driving either.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      01-25-2022, 07:50 AM   #36
4WDriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31/F-Type 3.0

Trad English Ale when in a pub. Timothy Taylor's Landlord has been my favourite since I stumled across it back in 1982!! I love to try others, there's a huge selection nowadays. Some have come close and probably equalled TT but it's yet to be beaten IMHO.

Red wine at home. Tried 19 Crimes and I reckon it's a scam. Their 2020 Cabernet Sauvignon is absolutely superb for the price but there are other "blends" and undated ones selling for twice what they're probably worth. 19 Crimes Cab Sav currently £7.49 in Iceland - I didn't even know they sold wine! Probably because I've never been in one.
Appreciate 0