F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > check engine light 101f01
proTUNING Freaks

11-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
pongkin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

check engine light 101f01

hey guys
so as of yesterday I got this code pop up on me, at the time I was running the car hard
got home cleared the code after a couple miles it came back again so cleared again
Today I was in eco mode cruising and the check light popped up again so I figured it has nothing to do from running the car hard

I've searched but found no conclusion fix

my car is a 14 335i n55 and I do have the dinan intake, I've had the intake since the beginning of the year with no issues
I cleared it again unplug and replug sensors on intake and chargepipe see if the light come back, if it does I guess I'll take it to the dealer

btw that climate control won't clear out any idea what that is?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
VAF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' F30 335i

This is a short circuit on an interface somewhere.. if your getting the throttle valve error too.. that unit may be sending a bad signal causing both errors? A guess on my part..

The control units exchange information via the bus.
An "interface error" (invalid signal) is stored when urgently required signals are only received in the form of a substitute value or as an "invalid signal".
The fault is logged when the partner control unit (=interface) transmits a substitute value or a value designated as invalid instead of the required information. In this case, a fault code should also be stored in the corresponding partner control unit.

http://bmwfault.codes/
Appreciate 1
JaredG_F301106.00
      11-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Man thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF30 View Post
This is a short circuit on an interface somewhere.. if your getting the throttle valve error too.. that unit may be sending a bad signal causing both errors? A guess on my part..

The control units exchange information via the bus.
An "interface error" (invalid signal) is stored when urgently required signals are only received in the form of a substitute value or as an "invalid signal".
The fault is logged when the partner control unit (=interface) transmits a substitute value or a value designated as invalid instead of the required information. In this case, a fault code should also be stored in the corresponding partner control unit.

http://bmwfault.codes/

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #4
VAF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Man thanks for the link!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 10:26 PM   #5
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pongkin View Post
hey guys
so as of yesterday I got this code pop up on me, at the time I was running the car hard
got home cleared the code after a couple miles it came back again so cleared again
Today I was in eco mode cruising and the check light popped up again so I figured it has nothing to do from running the car hard

I've searched but found no conclusion fix

my car is a 14 335i n55 and I do have the dinan intake, I've had the intake since the beginning of the year with no issues
I cleared it again unplug and replug sensors on intake and chargepipe see if the light come back, if it does I guess I'll take it to the dealer

btw that climate control won't clear out any idea what that is?
Did u ever figure out the cause of that throttle code?
      03-22-2021, 09:58 PM   #6
dc_f30
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 335i MSport 6MT

Thumbs up Solved: 101F01 Intermittent Code

To add to the thread and help anyone who may have similar symptoms, this NHTSA procedure #1 worked for me:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...63029-9999.pdf

It states to disconnect the tank ventilation valve (purge valve) electrical connector and idle for 15 minutes.

I have had the 101F01 code appear intermittently for the three years I’ve owned the car. Original owner said it always ‘went away eventually’ and it does/did, but it would still show up on a code reader. However come time for emissions, I had to find away to clear it more reliably (along with reinstalling my OE cat), luckily this procedure did the trick. It has been three months, and have not had it reappear on a code reader. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #7
TOMF30N55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive 6mt

Reigniting this thread because I just had my VVT and eccentric shaft replaced and the code 101F01 would not go away.

Solution: my mechanic replaced the boost solenoid and so far so good! He also found a boost leak on the inlet pipe (MST hose from turbo to intake tube) as well as a fucking ziptie holding the charge pipe to the FMIC from the wack mechanic who worked on my car before the current mechanic (shoutout to Kings Automotive in Bloomingdale, NJ). He reset adaptations for me several times, wasnt going away. Did a smoke test and fixed said boost leaks. Installed new boost solenoid and so far no problems.

I hope this can ease some stress for people affected because my goodness I was stressing hard, especially because this is my first ever luxury car and the bill to fix the VVT and eccentric shaft as is had me wanting to sell the car.
Appreciate 0