F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Help! - N55 - New Plugs - Missfiring **RESOLVED**
GetBMWParts

07-18-2021, 07:57 PM   #1
RedlineF30
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (F30-N55)

Help! - N55 - New Plugs - Missfiring **RESOLVED**

***ISSUE RESOLVED ***

Update: Ordered the NGK 97506, installed with gap of .022 and everything is running amazing, no more miss-fires or anything. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions given, much appreciated!!

Hello everyone,

Vehicle: 2013 335i F30 - N55 Engine
Mods: BM3 - Stage 1 Flash, BMS Intake, CP

Prior Status: Vehicle was running absolutely great with no problems.

Issue Now: Idles fine but step on the gas it throws a code, INSTA-D shows miss-fire on CYL1-2-4.

Details: Preventive maintenance, replaced plugs from Parts Avatar and they listed the ZR5TPP33 as the replacement. I installed them with default gap and now I have all kinds of issues. I'm reading that plugs should have been ZR5TPP33S instead for the N55 but should it cause that much of an issue right from the start? If I rev slowly through RPM range no issue but floor it and it just choques up and throws code.

Troubleshooting Done: Put factory plugs back in and now even those are making the car even worst then the ZR5TPP33. I don't understand what has changed and why the originals now are even worst. The gap is ok on the used plugs they were just sitting on my bench. Idles fine no problem only under heavy load again. I have reseated and re-tightened everything the ignition connections are all the way in and clipped properly. I have tried swapping coils and problem stays on the same cylinders. I've swapped spark plugs around and some problem seems to always hit 1-2-4 or sometimes just 2-4. I have tried gapping the ZR5TPP33 with 28, 26, 24 and 22 very carefully and nothing has resolved my issue.

I understand there are some differences in the ZR5TPP33S plugs that should have been correct but what is troubling me the most is how the originals that had absolutely no problem what so ever are now not working either.

I'm thinking of picking up the NGK 97506 plugs or maybe just getting them from BMW directly but before I spend more money I'm looking for some help here from anyone that might have any suggestions. I'm really stumped how the factory are not working and the job is very simple.

Thank you,
Rui

Last edited by RedlineF30; 07-22-2021 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 08:49 PM   #2
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineF30 View Post
Hello everyone,

Issue Now: Idles fine but step on the gas it throws a code, INSTA-D shows miss-fire on CYL1-2-4.

Details: Preventive maintenance, replaced plugs from Parts Avatar and they listed the ZR5TPP33 as the replacement. I installed them with default gap and now I have all kinds of issues. I'm reading that plugs should have been ZR5TPP33S instead for the N55 but should it cause that much of an issue right from the start? If I rev slowly through RPM range no issue but floor it and it just choques up and throws code.

Troubleshooting Done: Put factory plugs back in and now even those are making the car even worst then the ZR5TPP33. I don't understand what has changed and why the originals now are even worst. The gap is ok on the used plugs they were just sitting on my bench. Idles fine no problem only under heavy load again. I have reseated and re-tightened everything the ignition connections are all the way in and clipped properly. I have tried swapping coils and problem stays on the same cylinders. I've swapped spark plugs around and some problem seems to always hit 1-2-4 or sometimes just 2-4. I have tried gapping the ZR5TPP33 with 28, 26, 24 and 22 very carefully and nothing has resolved my issue.

I understand there are some differences in the ZR5TPP33S plugs that should have been correct but what is troubling me the most is how the originals that had absolutely no problem what so ever are now not working either.

I'm thinking of picking up the NGK 97506 plugs or maybe just getting them from BMW directly but before I spend more money I'm looking for some help here from anyone that might have any suggestions. I'm really stumped how the factory are not working and the job is very simple.

Thank you,
Rui

if its still happening with the old plugs you've done something.. check the coil to plug connects etc
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 12:29 AM   #3
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thank you,
Rui

if its still happening with the old plugs you've done something.. check the coil to plug connects etc
Check connections as stated, either the coil isn't seated correctly or you swapped the connectors around somewhere, would make more sense for 1/2 and 3/4 or 4/5 if you swapped connectors but anything is possible
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #4
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Concur with previous comments. First time I changed plugs on my 13 F30 335i, I had a similar issue. Found that I did not fully seat one of the electrical connectors before closing the latch. Also, if you applied any more than very minimal dielectric grease inside the boot, it may be slipping up off the plug and breaking contact.

BMW ZR5TPP33 Spark Plug - Bosch 0242145515 is the correct spark-plug for your car. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ch-12120037580
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #5
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

I have been an auto technician for over 20 years now. I have yet to ever see a single car that runs good on Bosch plugs. Not a single one. In fact Bosch plugs are just a no-no in the independent shop world.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 06:01 PM   #6
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
I have been an auto technician for over 20 years now. I have yet to ever see a single car that runs good on Bosch plugs. Not a single one. In fact Bosch plugs are just a no-no in the independent shop world.

Maybe so, but from my experience with all the BMW's I have had since 2001, I've used the recommended Bosch Plugs with no issues. Guess I'm just lucky.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 06:08 PM   #7
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Quote:

Maybe so, but from my experience with all the BMW's I have had since 2001, I've used the recommended Bosch Plugs with no issues. Guess I'm just lucky.
Same
Just did a swap recently with the revised Bosch with zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 11:25 PM   #8
kickthecan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46

Quote:
Yeah, no. Bosch has been fine for me for the past ten years or so so let's not go with the anecdotal stuff
Appreciate 1
harkes1077.00
      07-20-2021, 01:12 AM   #9
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of your ignition coils went bad.

Start the engine and let it catch a normal idle speed, while running unplug one ignition coil connector at a time and see if the idle speed changes. If it does react, move onto the next cylinder. If you find one that doesn’t cause an engine idle speed change, turn the engine off and swap that coil with one that did drop engine speed (known good coil) and see if the misfire follows the coil.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 06:12 AM   #10
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

ZR5TPP33 is the correct replacement plug. I have them on my 435i.

fwiw Bosch stopped selling the ZR5TPP33(S). almost 2 yrs ago.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 10:55 AM   #11
RedlineF30
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the responses. I think over-all I re-installed plugs 4-5 times between factory and stock plugs.

I was very careful to make sure the coils are pushed as far as they can go, I only ever did one coil at a time so no chance of mixing up connectors and I also tried swapping coils from cylinder 5 & 6 to 1 & 2 where I had the miss-fires and problem did not move so doesn't seem to be the coil.

The coils are sitting in the grooves and connectors seem to be snapped in all the way into the coil as far as they go. With the new plugs only have any issues on hard acceleration other then that it runs fine but putting the old plugs multiple times through my testing the revving in neutral you can feel some of the hesitation.

I'm kind of stumped, I've checked it so many times and make sure everything was pushed in properly on both coil and plugs.

I've ordered the recommended NGK plugs just to have something else to try here but after speaking with bosh I coincidentally got a former BMW mechanic of 40 years who was telling me to try doing an adaptation reset on the computer, mentioned that I should test with the stock intake in it and wondering if something may have been disconnected like some vacuum line. He mentioned if I had the ability to check the adaptive fuel mixture values when highway travelling but this part is getting over my head. He even mentioned checking the oil filler cap if not seated properly and not enough vacuum or something could give me some issues as well.

I'll recheck everything again today after work and see if I spot anything off. I did try one thing yesterday and replaced the miss-firing cylinder spark plugs with the new bosch instead of the factory BMW plugs and the neutral revving issue goes away but still miss-fires under heavy acceleration.

I'd hate to think that I could mess up such an easy job especially being as careful as I man in nature but I agree something had to have changed.
      07-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #12
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the responses. I think over-all I re-installed plugs 4-5 times between factory and stock plugs.

I was very careful to make sure the coils are pushed as far as they can go, I only ever did one coil at a time so no chance of mixing up connectors and I also tried swapping coils from cylinder 5 & 6 to 1 & 2 where I had the miss-fires and problem did not move so doesn't seem to be the coil.

The coils are sitting in the grooves and connectors seem to be snapped in all the way into the coil as far as they go. With the new plugs only have any issues on hard acceleration other then that it runs fine but putting the old plugs multiple times through my testing the revving in neutral you can feel some of the hesitation.

I'm kind of stumped, I've checked it so many times and make sure everything was pushed in properly on both coil and plugs.

I've ordered the recommended NGK plugs just to have something else to try here but after speaking with bosh I coincidentally got a former BMW mechanic of 40 years who was telling me to try doing an adaptation reset on the computer, mentioned that I should test with the stock intake in it and wondering if something may have been disconnected like some vacuum line. He mentioned if I had the ability to check the adaptive fuel mixture values when highway travelling but this part is getting over my head. He even mentioned checking the oil filler cap if not seated properly and not enough vacuum or something could give me some issues as well.

I'll recheck everything again today after work and see if I spot anything off. I did try one thing yesterday and replaced the miss-firing cylinder spark plugs with the new bosch instead of the factory BMW plugs and the neutral revving issue goes away but still miss-fires under heavy acceleration.

I'd hate to think that I could mess up such an easy job especially being as careful as I man in nature but I agree something had to have changed.
Did you try different plugs in different cylinders?

Perhaps damage the plugs?

Also don't forget that the torque value for installing a used plug differs from a new plug.

Let us know.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 02:02 PM   #13
RedlineF30
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post

Also don't forget that the torque value for installing a used plug differs from a new plug.

Let us know.
Hi, I definitely randomly put the spark plugs back in as I tried different times when switching from stock to new. I also tried a couple different gaps on the new plugs. I believe they come with .028 and I carefully tried .026 and .024 and even .030 with always the same results.

I was using ISTA-D and would clear all codes every time I tried something new with the plugs to get fresh readings.I have attached some pictures of top view of ignition coils. I checked them all over again today and everything seems to be clipped properly.

Thank you for your respone.

Rui

Order of images is LEFT - Cyl 2 - 1 MIDDLE - CYl 4 - 3 RIGHT - Cyl 6 -5 in that order.
Attached Images

07-21-2021, 08:42 PM   #14
SAMI1820
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post

Let us know.
Hi, I definitely randomly put the spark plugs back in as I tried different times when switching from stock to new. I also tried a couple different gaps on the new plugs. I believe they come with .028 and I carefully tried .026 and .024 and even .030 with always the same results.

I was using ISTA-D and would clear all codes every time I tried something new with the plugs to get fresh readings.I have attached some pictures of top view of ignition coils. I checked them all over again today and everything seems to be clipped properly.

Thank you for your respone.

Rui

Order of images is LEFT - Cyl 2 - 1 MIDDLE - CYl 4 - 3 RIGHT - Cyl 6 -5 in that order.
You may wanna check your fuel system It maybe your fuel pump or injectors. You say it only does it when you push it hard right.
      07-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #15
RedlineF30
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI1820 View Post
You may wanna check your fuel system It maybe your fuel pump or injectors. You say it only does it when you push it hard right.
Yes, that's right I figure when the fuel/air is at it's highest that the spark isn't good enough or something along those lines but I'm not an expert. The odd part again is that it was not doing it before switching out the plugs, it literally started immediately after. I have new NGK plugs hopefully arriving today so hoping to have some different results and I will post back once I've swapped them.
      07-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #16
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Might seem crazy but start the car and let it run and warm up fully. While in park/nuetral, disconnect the MAF sensor and let it run for 10 minutes or so. Turn the car off and reconnect the MAF. Then restart and see if you still have misfire issues.
      07-22-2021, 08:42 PM   #17
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

What was the problem???
n55david1295.50
      07-23-2021, 01:24 AM   #18
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
What was the problem???
Spark plugs according to the edit of the first post.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 04:12 AM   #19
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

So the Bosch plugs were the culprit...Like I suggested and was quickly told no.
Appreciate 3
n55david1295.50
AmuroRay2267.50
Insane435476.50
      07-23-2021, 07:39 AM   #20
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
don't worry man, none of the shops I've worked would use bosch plugs either.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 10:46 AM   #21
RedlineF30
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Yeah, I questioned everything I did, redid everything so many times over and all I had to do was put in the NGK plugs and I'm back in business without having to do anything else at all.

Once again, thank you to the community for the suggestions. I'm glad I decided to go with the recommendation of NGK plugs since nothing else made sense (special thanks to LA1Z24). Sounds like Bosch will refund me the money directly so that's a bonus.

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
don't worry man, none of the shops I've worked would use bosch plugs either.
      07-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #22
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep

Quote:
I’ve had a set of the NGKs give me trouble right out of the box and they showed zero signs of damage to the box or the plug themselves. Anything can happen.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3570.00