F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Uniden R3 vs R7 radar detectors?
Studio RSR

10-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Uniden R3 vs R7 radar detectors?

Any opinions on the R3 vs the newer R7?

Any suggestions on where to buy them at a good price? Can't do suction cup windshield mount in my state. Are there visor mounts or rear view mirror mounts that are good?

I sometimes travel through Virginia which bans radar detectors. Are either R3 or R7 considered invisible to police radar detector detection? Anyone have experience on this subject?

I've seen wiring kits from $20-$50 advertised to connect R3/R7 to power in the rear view mirror. Are these kits all the same or is one better than another? I did see one claiming to have a 2A fuse built-in, but not sure if that's a common feature with all of them.

Thanks! Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

I believe one of the major changes to the new R7 is its ability to detect directionality from front to back. I've been using an R3 for a while personally with Blend Mount, and it has been great. And I've been using it in California, and recently did a one way road trip quite literally across the country to NH. I didn't tap into the mirror as it was pretty easy to route the power cable through the trim to the cigarette lighter port in the passenger side footwell. With R7 being a couple hundred more, you really need to decide whether that extra ability to detect whether the signal is coming from.

As for radar detector detectors, Uniden R3 and R7, I believe R3 was shown to be one of the better "stealth detectors" but with R7, I'm not too sure.

I think even if R7 were out when I was buying radar detectors, I don't think I would've shelled out over $500 for an R7.

That being said, I'll end this with a shameless plug that I'm selling off my Uniden R3+BlendMount over in classified section, so feel free to check that out and make an offer if you feel price is too high.
johnung4525.00
      10-16-2019, 02:45 AM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
I believe one of the major changes to the new R7 is its ability to detect directionality from front to back. I've been using an R3 for a while personally with Blend Mount, and it has been great. And I've been using it in California, and recently did a one way road trip quite literally across the country to NH. I didn't tap into the mirror as it was pretty easy to route the power cable through the trim to the cigarette lighter port in the passenger side footwell. With R7 being a couple hundred more, you really need to decide whether that extra ability to detect whether the signal is coming from.

As for radar detector detectors, Uniden R3 and R7, I believe R3 was shown to be one of the better "stealth detectors" but with R7, I'm not too sure.

I think even if R7 were out when I was buying radar detectors, I don't think I would've shelled out over $500 for an R7.

That being said, I'll end this with a shameless plug that I'm selling off my Uniden R3+BlendMount over in classified section, so feel free to check that out and make an offer if you feel price is too high.
Thanks for your response. Good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Here is how my Uniden R3 is mounted. I used a mirror power tap and a stick on instead of suction type holder. It fit just above the rear view mirror and it does not obstruct the sun visor operation. The R3 is barely visible from the outside and most people do not notice its presence while in the car. The R7 is too big to fit in the same location.

The R3 is very very sensitive, I always operate it in city mode with reduced sensitivity and it still gives me plenty of advance notice.

My mirror tap does not have a fuse. The space is tight there, you should go with one without a fuse.
Attached Images

Last edited by montr; 10-17-2019 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 2
johnung4525.00