F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Autoplay from Bluetooth device
Extreme Powerhouse

09-07-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
mfullmer
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX X-Drive50

Autoplay from Bluetooth device

It has been exasperating trying to search for other people who have my exact problem in other forums and I'm wondering if anyone has it on other 2018 models.

Please read my problem carefully as it's not the same as any I've seen out there:
I have my 2nd 2018 440xic (first one was ordered incorrectly but, MMI wise, exactly the same) that I picked up 12/2017. I had the one before it for 5 months.

I never listen to music from my iPhone (X). I never even open the app. I have the phone on Bluetooth and sometimes plugged into the USB (for charging). I always listen to Sirius/XM through the vehicle system. Not always, but 90% of the time, between 1 and 2 minutes after starting the car, the system switches from Sirius/XM to Bluetooth/USB AND starts playing the song list from my Music app. WEIRDER still, if I pick up my phone and scroll through apps the Music app isn't even open.

I've done everything that I've seen on the iPhone as far as turning every AutoPlay off and disabling autoplay and the Music App in Restrictions. It still does it.

BTW: I did not order my vehicle with CarPlay. This never happened in my last 2018 or any other vehicle I have or have had. I'm at my wits end!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
alistairk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport, 6MT

I don't have your specific problem, but my car likes to switch the audio input similar to yours, though it's more often switching from USB flash drive to radio. I use the phone mount in the center console and on occasion it will switch to either pandora or amazon music through the bmw connected app on my phone.

Don't have a solution or anything constructive to add though, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 11:25 PM   #3
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Bmw 435xi M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfullmer View Post
It has been exasperating trying to search for other people who have my exact problem in other forums and I'm wondering if anyone has it on other 2018 models.

Please read my problem carefully as it's not the same as any I've seen out there:
I have my 2nd 2018 440xic (first one was ordered incorrectly but, MMI wise, exactly the same) that I picked up 12/2017. I had the one before it for 5 months.

I never listen to music from my iPhone (X). I never even open the app. I have the phone on Bluetooth and sometimes plugged into the USB (for charging). I always listen to Sirius/XM through the vehicle system. Not always, but 90% of the time, between 1 and 2 minutes after starting the car, the system switches from Sirius/XM to Bluetooth/USB AND starts playing the song list from my Music app. WEIRDER still, if I pick up my phone and scroll through apps the Music app isn't even open.

I've done everything that I've seen on the iPhone as far as turning every AutoPlay off and disabling autoplay and the Music App in Restrictions. It still does it.

BTW: I did not order my vehicle with CarPlay. This never happened in my last 2018 or any other vehicle I have or have had. I'm at my wits end!
Unpair your iPhone
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
335inDe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i

This is an iPhone deal not bmw. iPhone started as an iPod and for some stupid reason they still thing we are getting on our car to go for a run. There is no way to fix it other than inserting a blank track of silence which still cuts off SiriusXM or delete all music. Your next issue will be BMW s fault which is the usb will connect and disconnect every second over and over. A new cord fixes it for a day or 2 then back to the same annoying issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Poon Stick
Two many diffs
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 340xi MPPSK 6MT

I don't know if I see the exact same thing as you but I did read it carefully.

Whenever I plug my phone into the USB port, the car will automatically switch to the phone and try to start playing music. The music app does not need to be open, the car is drawing the music from the phone directly.

I also find that the car will lose/regain connectivity with the phone through USB at random which
a. makes listening to anything over the USB connection incredibly annoying as it keeps cutting out
b. makes it annoying to plug the phone in, switch to Sirius and try to keep the phone charging as each time it thinks it reconnects it will switch back to the phone.

Mine is to the point where I don't even plug my phone is ever because no matter what I want to listen to, it'll mess everything up.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Your car is automatically playing the first track in your phone's library. Yes you could delete every song from your phone's library; or unpair your phone completely, but those are drastic options. Just download the track "Aaaaa Very Good Song" by Samir Mezrahi and put it in your phone. This track contains dead silence for 10 min or so. This track will be the first in your library and provide you with silence until you get a moment to change sources.

Attached Images

09-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
Digital_83
OO=[][]=OO
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F36 430xD M Sport/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Your car is automatically playing the first track in your phone's library. Yes you could delete every song from your phone's library; or unpair your phone completely, but those are drastic options. Just download the track "Aaaaa Very Good Song" by Samir Mezrahi and put it in your phone. This track contains dead silence for 10 min or so. This track will be the first in your library and provide you with silence until you get a moment to change sources.

^ This !

Freakin' saved me from a complete nerves breakdown ...

p.s. - Surprisingly, I've noticed this happening only with BMW and Lexus cars thus far.
Was driving VW Polo in EU, and my phone's [iPhone X] music library was completely normal It always continued playing from the last track played before it got connected to the car's Bluetooth, or shuffling across my entire collection. But not the GODDAMNED SAME FK TRACK every time !!

Last edited by Digital_83; 09-10-2018 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #8
mfullmer
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX X-Drive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335inDe View Post
This is an iPhone deal not bmw. iPhone started as an iPod and for some stupid reason they still thing we are getting on our car to go for a run. There is no way to fix it other than inserting a blank track of silence which still cuts off SiriusXM or delete all music. Your next issue will be BMW s fault which is the usb will connect and disconnect every second over and over. A new cord fixes it for a day or 2 then back to the same annoying issue.
If this is an iPhone deal then why did it never happen with my other ('18, '16, '12, '08) convertibles? It also never has happened in any of my Range Rovers.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I have the source set to xm radio and don't have any issue with Bluetooth music playing. It should default to the last source used. Maybe try using the other keyfob to see if that works.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e CB M Sport

I had this same issue.

My solution (which i think makes the most sense):

In the Communication menu, choose your iPhone that's already paired with the car, uncheck any boxes except Bluetooth Audio (since you mentioned you do not have Carplay, the one that really needs to be unchecked would be "App"). Once the App option is unchecked, it will no longer automatically bring up the Music app in your phone and take precedence over your radio.

Let me know if this works for you.

Edit: One down side of this I believe, is that you can no longer use the Connected App on your iPhone to interact with the car, i.e. sending address preset in your phone to the Navi system in your car. But remote ventilation will still work, and I don't know why.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #11
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalien34 View Post
I had this same issue.

My solution (which i think makes the most sense):

In the Communication menu, choose your iPhone that's already paired with the car, uncheck any boxes except Bluetooth Audio (since you mentioned you do not have Carplay, the one that really needs to be unchecked would be "App"). Once the App option is unchecked, it will no longer automatically bring up the Music app in your phone and take precedence over your radio.

Let me know if this works for you.

Edit: One down side of this I believe, is that you can no longer use the Connected App on your iPhone to interact with the car, i.e. sending address preset in your phone to the Navi system in your car. But remote ventilation will still work, and I don't know why.
I really don't grasp how this solution "makes the most sense." You're disabling functionality with this proposal; where just loading a simple track into the phone's library solves the problem with zero loss of functionality.
:
      09-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #12
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I really don't grasp how this solution "makes the most sense." You're disabling functionality with this proposal; where just loading a simple track into the phone's library solves the problem with zero loss of functionality.
:
My issue wouldn't be solve using your approach. After manually switching back to radio, in another minute or two it cuts it off again and plays the musics from the phone again.

Plus I don't like switching audio sources every single time I get into my car.

The functions being disabled was optional in the first place anyways, and that's why there's options in the iDrive menu to select/deselect. Lots of people don't like Carplay, and I don't really need the ability to send an address to my car beforehand either. I mean it's sth cool and nice to have, but compared to being bugged every single time I get into my car? No brainer...

But of course it's just my personally opinion.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #13
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
:
My issue wouldn't be solve using your approach. After manually switching back to radio, in another minute or two it cuts it off again and plays the musics from the phone again.

Plus I don't like switching audio sources every single time I get into my car.

The functions being disabled was optional in the first place anyways, and that's why there's options in the iDrive menu to select/deselect. Lots of people don't like Carplay, and I don't really need the ability to send an address to my car beforehand either. I mean it's sth cool and nice to have, but compared to being bugged every single time I get into my car? No brainer...

But of course it's just my personally opinion.
In my 2014 F30 (with Technology package) the system will retain the last source. So if I were playing SiriusXM, or HD Radio when I shut the car off; it would still have that source selected when I turn the car back on.

The issue is when I have my phone as the source when I shut the car off. When I turn the car back on in this scenario, the system will play the first song in the phone's music library.

The 0-bit track provides a solution for this behavior becoming overly annoying.
      09-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In my 2014 F30 (with Technology package) the system will retain the last source. So if I were playing SiriusXM, or HD Radio when I shut the car off; it would still have that source selected when I turn the car back on.

The issue is when I have my phone as the source when I shut the car off. When I turn the car back on in this scenario, the system will play the first song in the phone's music library.

The 0-bit track provides a bandaid for this.
Well then you are not even reading OP's post correctly. OP said he doesn't even use his iPhone for music and only listens to XM/Radio in the car. How would he turn off the car with audio source set as phone then?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #15
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:

The 0-bit track provides a bandaid for this.
Well then you are not even reading OP's post correctly. OP said he doesn't even use his iPhone for music and only listens to XM/Radio in the car. How would he turn off the car with audio source set as phone then?
I guess I deserve to be lashed 20 times for such an egregious violation. There goes my chance to ever become a Supreme Court Justice.
      09-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #16
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess I deserve to be lashed 20 times for such an egregious violation. There goes my chance to ever become a Supreme Court Justice.

Realized this emoji works best here:
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #17
Digital_83
OO=[][]=OO
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F36 430xD M Sport/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfullmer View Post

Question - do you have Spotify installed on your phone ?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 10:06 PM   #18
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

I have a worse problem - despite deleting, de-syncing, etc the album from my phone, every time I plug in while driving it still scrolls through the entire U2 album on my display, despite not playing any music from it. Won't auto-jump to pandora even if the app was open - I have to manually go back into Pandora to start it playing.
Appreciate 0