F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Loose knocking/rattle when shifting!
ARMA SPEED

08-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
ncrodelle
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i

Loose knocking/rattle when shifting!

I've never had any issues with weird noises or anything on my f32 until yesterday my car started making a weird knocking/rattle sound when shifting and sometimes when depressing the clutch.

The noise sounds like some kind of loose metal part knocking around during shifts. It sounds like the noise is coming from under the shifter or under the passenger seat. The more I drive the more I feel like it's a loose component in maybe the transmission or shift boot.

The car is completely stock (exhaust, clutch etc.)

The noise mostly happens shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. Sometimes other gears and sometimes when depressing the clutch. I can avoid the noise sometimes by shifting very very slowly (way slower than a normal shift) and letting the shifter rest in neutral between shits before putting it into the next gear

The knock only happens when vehicle is in motion and entering gear. I can't replicate the sound by shifting through each gear while at a standstill.

The noise does not affect performance and the car still enters each gear perfectly fine. It just annoys the crap out of me.

If anybody knows what the issue may be I would love to know.
Appreciate 0