F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan or Wagner Intercooler
GetBMWParts

08-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
spicyalgebra
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i M sport

Dinan or Wagner Intercooler

Hey so I've been doing some research and reading a ton of threads about intercoolers. However, I wanted to see what you guys would do in my situation.

I'm currently running a stage 1 tune and I plan on putting in a CL DP and FMIC so I can bump it up to stage 2. I daily my car and I may do some autocross in the future. (I don't plan on upgrading my turbo or run methanol)

I was originally set on getting a Wagner EVO competition II intercooler based on all the reviews but I recently got a really good deal on a Dinan intercooler which I couldn't pass up. However, I'm hesitant about installing it since larger intercoolers typically cause increased turbo lag. On the other hand, Dinan reports "Charge Air Pressure drop: 0.80 PSI (25% improvement over stock)". At the same time, the Wagner unit is much lighter and easier to install than the dinan since it does not require me to remove my bumper or do any cutting.

I was wondering if anyone running the Dinan intercooler has noticed any increased turbo lag?

Are there been any comparisons between the Dinan vs Wagner Competition intercoolers?

Basically, if you were in my situation would you keep the Dinan intercooler or sell it and get a Wagner Comp instead?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #2
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

just want to throw it out there too.

does Wagner require modification? i know for Dinan you need to cut something.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:47 PM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyalgebra View Post
Hey so I've been doing some research and reading a ton of threads about intercoolers. However, I wanted to see what you guys would do in my situation.

I'm currently running a stage 1 tune and I plan on putting in a CL DP and FMIC so I can bump it up to stage 2. I daily my car and I may do some autocross in the future. (I don't plan on upgrading my turbo or run methanol)

I was originally set on getting a Wagner EVO competition II intercooler based on all the reviews but I recently got a really good deal on a Dinan intercooler which I couldn't pass up. However, I'm hesitant about installing it since larger intercoolers typically cause increased turbo lag. On the other hand, Dinan reports "Charge Air Pressure drop: 0.80 PSI (25% improvement over stock)". At the same time, the Wagner unit is much lighter and easier to install than the dinan since it does not require me to remove my bumper or do any cutting.

I was wondering if anyone running the Dinan intercooler has noticed any increased turbo lag?

Are there been any comparisons between the Dinan vs Wagner Competition intercoolers?

Basically, if you were in my situation would you keep the Dinan intercooler or sell it and get a Wagner Comp instead?

Thanks
I initially considered the Dinan and got a Wagner Competition. Wasn't going to cut up my car to fit a Dinan. Wagner slides right in and fits perfectly. Once I did more research I understood that Dinan is a big heavy bar & plate designed for high revving track use. Wagner is a high flow tube & fin design which is more expensive to manufacture. It's designed to have less intake pressure drop so minimum turbo lag.

Turbo lag is most obvious in daily driving. Starting from a start at a green light, accelerating onto an on-ramp, etc. track cars don't worry about it because revs are always high. I've got BM3 Stage2 93 Octane with the new transmission tune & Wagner Competition. It's an awesome daily driver with no lag issue.

Sell the Dinan and buy a Wagner Competition. Read the posts from Mike at X-PH. He's a guru on FMICs. He also has great prices and stocks them.

Replace the two o-rings on the FMIC Input & output pipes. Install them in the correct direction so they don't leak.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Judging for the size of the Dinan cooler and the dual core design they use, it has to be double the weight of the Wagner FMIC

Im very interested in seeing a direct comparison between the 2 intercoolers on the street and track. without any data, and if i have to predict i see it going like this

Dinan does slightly better in temp control but its going to lack when it comes to weight, recovery time and pressure air drop.

I would pick the Wagner EVO II Competition

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      08-19-2019, 02:12 AM   #5
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

try CSF intercooler from mike extreme powerhouse, good price and works exceptionally well

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
13blk335ix
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 N55 335ix 6mt

Garage List
2013 BMW 335ix  [0.00]
i have wagner evo 2 comp and it fits like stock. i also have the er chargepipe. just ordered the tic to complete the system.

go wagner
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:51 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
try CSF intercooler from mike extreme powerhouse, good price and works exceptionally well
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13blk335ix View Post
i have wagner evo 2 comp and it fits like stock. i also have the er chargepipe. just ordered the tic to complete the system.

go wagner
Congrats!

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #8
spicyalgebra
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I initially considered the Dinan and got a Wagner Competition. Wasn't going to cut up my car to fit a Dinan. Wagner slides right in and fits perfectly. Once I did more research I understood that Dinan is a big heavy bar & plate designed for high revving track use. Wagner is a high flow tube & fin design which is more expensive to manufacture. It's designed to have less intake pressure drop so minimum turbo lag.

Turbo lag is most obvious in daily driving. Starting from a start at a green light, accelerating onto an on-ramp, etc. track cars don't worry about it because revs are always high. I've got BM3 Stage2 93 Octane with the new transmission tune & Wagner Competition. It's an awesome daily driver with no lag issue.

Sell the Dinan and buy a Wagner Competition. Read the posts from Mike at X-PH. He's a guru on FMICs. He also has great prices and stocks them.

Replace the two o-rings on the FMIC Input & output pipes. Install them in the correct direction so they don't leak.

Hope this helps!
Hey thanks for your input, this definitely helps a lot. And yes the Wagner definitely seems to be a much easier DIY job vs the Dinan. Did you get the Wagner Comp I or Comp II? And how have you IAT been with the stage 2 tune?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #9
spicyalgebra
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Judging for the size of the Dinan cooler and the dual core design they use, it has to be double the weight of the Wagner FMIC

Im very interested in seeing a direct comparison between the 2 intercoolers on the street and track. without any data, and if i have to predict i see it going like this

Dinan does slightly better in temp control but its going to lack when it comes to weight, recovery time and pressure air drop.

I would pick the Wagner EVO II Competition
Hey thanks Mike,

Ya I'm surprised how there isn't a lot of independent/customer reviews for the dinan intercooler.

It seems like the consensus is that the Wagner Comp II may be a better for daily/street use compared to the Dinan.

Can you let me know if you have any sales coming up for the Wagner Comp II?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 09:03 PM   #10
spicyalgebra
Rep

Quote:

go wagner
Hey this is good to know since I am running the ER chargepipe as well. Just out of curiosity, what tune are you running with your Wagner Comp 2?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 06:04 AM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

go wagner
Hey this is good to know since I am running the ER chargepipe as well. Just out of curiosity, what tune are you running with your Wagner Comp 2?
FYI- I've got a Wagner Competition EVO1 and am running BootMod3 Stage2 93 Octane. Quick response and no sign of the heat soak I was getting with the stock intercooler and the standard MPPK tune.

I got the Competition EVO1 rather than the Competition EVO2 at Mike's recommendation because he asked me the right questions and listened to my priority which was to have the absolute minimum of turbo lag on my daily driver. I didn't see myself upgrading my turbo or really tracking the car. Bigger isn't always the better solution depending on priorities.

I'm impressed with the latest revision of the BM3 tune and their automatic transmission tune. Comfort mode is perfect for traffic. In Sport mode the pedal response seems much better and initial boost seems quicker. I'll have to take logs and learn to interpret them at some point. Right now just enjoying driving the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #12
13blk335ix
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 N55 335ix 6mt

Garage List
2013 BMW 335ix  [0.00]
im running a custom tune from ttfs. the guys that made the xdi 35 hpfp. they have a phenomenal dyno. i am uploading the tune to my car with bootmod3.

word to the wise..... ttfs said i shouldve gone with the vrsf hd. the biggest one for the f30. but for now im running the evo comp 2 by wagner. its a six incher. one of the larger intercoolers.
the only reason i have the wagner evo comp 2 is i got it for like 750 bucks. i wasnt paying 999.00 for it. so im pumped on that.
i was close to getting the ATM intercooler, it was between the wagner evo 2 and ATM. But literally as i was going to place my order at the very bottom of atm speedshop info for the f30 intercooler it said "does not fit ER chargepipes."
killed me cause i had already spent a pretty penny on the anodized black er chargepipe. im x drive so i didnt have alot of options on the chargepipe.

so i couldnt get the ATM. beats me why it wouldnt fit. i emailed them about it and they said id have to do some shaving of my er chargepipe. no thanks.

ive gone for the oem+ sleeper look and with having everything anodozed black it helps with temps and it looks more stock than silver.

get the intercooler that will fit your final build goal. i got the evo 2 comp because i am getting pure stage 2 eventually.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey thanks Mike,

Ya I'm surprised how there isn't a lot of independent/customer reviews for the dinan intercooler.

It seems like the consensus is that the Wagner Comp II may be a better for daily/street use compared to the Dinan.

Can you let me know if you have any sales coming up for the Wagner Comp II?

Thanks!
Check your inbox

Appreciate 0