F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car Comparison - 328i vs 330d
GetBMWParts

10-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #45
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apl000? View Post
Me too
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #46
siross
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:
??
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #47
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siross View Post
??
Sorry.

Can't comment.

I'm being censored
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #48
Moleeuk
From the dark side...
Wales
Rep
Drives: M240i Convertible

Had a 328i for 3 years loved it.

Had an extended test drive in a 330d that I was looking at. Nice with similar performance.

330d better 90% of the time in real world driving (torque and economy). 328i an absolute blast 10% of the time.

Test drove a 335d - Decision made, Game over........
2017 - M240i Vert EBII. Memory Seats, Black Leather, Pro Nav Pack, PDC, Cruise, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, Heated Steering Wheel, Harman Kardon, High Gloss/Pearl Chrome Trim, Convertible Comfort Pack, Speed Limit Display, EBT, Load Through, M Performance Exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #49
Apl440i or 335d?
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

330d X drive. In my opinion, which you have asked for, is a bad car.

Owners of that type of car will obviously defend it.

My 335d X drive was not good. A 330d X drive will have the same problems, only it will be slower.

My advice would be to find s 330d s drive.

If it must be one of these two, I think the 328i is the better choice, even though the engine is dull.

This is all based on my opinion and experience.

I could easily post "go for the 330d X drive, the suspension is not that bad, and I once did 50mpg" but that would be misleading you to make myself feel better about the obvious shortcomings of my car.

I drive a focus st......
      10-27-2015, 04:24 PM   #50
siross
Captain
Rep

Quote:
330d X drive. In my opinion, which you have asked for, is a bad car.

Owners of that type of car will obviously defend it.

My 335d X drive was not good. A 330d X drive will have the same problems, only it will be slower.

My advice would be to find s 330d s drive.

If it must be one of these two, I think the 328i is the better choice, even though the engine is dull.

This is all based on my opinion and experience.

I could easily post "go for the 330d X drive, the suspension is not that bad, and I once did 50mpg" but that would be misleading you to make myself feel better about the obvious shortcomings of my car.

I drive a focus st......
I appreciate the advice, it's a difficult decision to make!

What, in particular, were the negatives of the X Drive system?

Also, surely those who bought an X Drive did so after test driving?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #51
Apl440i or 335d?
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

I'm not going to say any more as to not piss off too many more people.

But for clarity X drive has a terrible chassis, numb steering and dimwitted handling which kills any driving enjoyment. It wollows like a barge, and can make some feel sick.

In return, it will help you apply more power on a slippery surface and allow you to drive with your brain turned off. It will allow you to win nearly every traffic light Grand Prix however.
      10-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #52
Drisser
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d/Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

+1

I actually went out to buy a 330d x drive but when I found out it couldn't have m sport suspension I then test drove a non x drive and immediately preferred it..

Yes you don't have 4wd but the s drive in my view has a more balanced chassis and taught feeling. Winter tyres will get me round the argument over traction. 90% of the time you won't lack grip with the s drive, it just feels more sweet handling to me..

He added benefit is I think it's also cheaper insurance than he x drive, more economical and sits that bit lower. Yes you can fit aftermarket springs but I'm buggered if I'm spending 35k on a car then changing the springs..

Comes down to your preference, for me the handling and lower sitting ride height and economy gains were worth the compromise for the 5-10% of the time the extra traction is needed. Some people will say in the UK you need it with wet roads etc but I've never had an issue with rwd cars.
      10-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #53
FOAD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d Msport MG

Quote:

But for clarity X drive has a terrible chassis, numb steering and dimwitted handling which kills any driving enjoyment. It wollows like a barge, and can make some feel sick.

In return, it will help you apply more power on a slippery surface and allow you to drive with your brain turned off. It will allow you to win nearly every traffic light Grand Prix however.
This is excellent! Say what you think!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #54
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
What negatives of Xdrive?

330d Xdrive will do 51mpg - fact.
It changes how you drive, bends, corners and roundabouts, you take advantage of the Xdrive system.
Ignoring bad weather (torrential rain), just a bog standard damp morning gives much better traction (it is a tractor after all).
So pulling away at junctions on typical UK damp dingy roads give you excellent grip, none of this wheel spin shit you get with old technology, no flickering lights on the dash.
This

Wet or dry from standstill there is VERY little if at all wheel spin. Not yet had anything touch me in a traffic light gp(but not been next to a 335d ). you can hoof it right angle out of a junction and the car just fooks off, my old 330d would just sit there spinning with the traction light going mental.

I got 54.5 mpg round the m25 to pboro in Eco pro (albeit self harming) but all the managed motorway sections were 50 mph most of the way........
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #55
siross
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Like I said, I don't want it to turn into an argument between different owners, that's certainly not my intention.
I'm sure those who bought an X Drive did so for certain reasons, as did those who bought an S Drive, I'm just trying to find out which is best for me.

The suspension wouldn't worry me too much as I wouldn't be too bothered about changing the springs should I not get on with it. However, the chassis and steering comments are interesting. Is the steering an issue because of the added weight of the AWD system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drisser View Post
+1

I actually went out to buy a 330d x drive but when I found out it couldn't have m sport suspension I then test drove a non x drive and immediately preferred it..

Yes you don't have 4wd but the s drive in my view has a more balanced chassis and taught feeling. Winter tyres will get me round the argument over traction. 90% of the time you won't lack grip with the s drive, it just feels more sweet handling to me..

He added benefit is I think it's also cheaper insurance than he x drive, more economical and sits that bit lower. Yes you can fit aftermarket springs but I'm buggered if I'm spending 35k on a car then changing the springs..

Comes down to your preference, for me the handling and lower sitting ride height and economy gains were worth the compromise for the 5-10% of the time the extra traction is needed. Some people will say in the UK you need it with wet roads etc but I've never had an issue with rwd cars.
Thanks mate, appreciate the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
This

Wet or dry from standstill there is VERY little if at all wheel spin. Not yet had anything touch me in a traffic light gp(but not been next to a 335d ). you can hoof it right angle out of a junction and the car just fooks off, my old 330d would just sit there spinning with the traction light going mental.

I got 54.5 mpg round the m25 to pboro in Eco pro (albeit self harming) but all the managed motorway sections were 50 mph most of the way........
I'm not hugely worried about the mpg difference, if I could afford a 335i or 340i I'd be looking at those. Unfortunately I can't so I'm trying to ge the most for my money

From an X Drive owner, what are your thoughts on the chassis and steering?

Thanks,

Simon
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #56
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

I'm not a racing driver mate, and most of the time my car is used in traffic and I rarely get to use its capabilities, that's why I went 330 over 335, se England is sooooo overcrowded on the roads. That said most journeys I'll get to exploit the fook off down the road or out of junctions it gives.

I had an e92 with 18s and rft's and I think the ride with 19s on my 330 is better than that was but its equal to when I'd changed to non rft on that.

Chassis and suspension wise (I do have adaptive which does make a difference but drive 80% of the time in comfort) it's absolutely fine for me, only once have I found the front end wash out (being a plonker on a tight roundabout lol) due to 4wd and heavy front end, but then 4wd is understeery by nature and you drive round it. Found the same in my old Impreza.

I've been through a 205 gti (still have one), 306gti, Impreza turbo, 200sx, supra tt, Nissan r33 gtr, focus st (which I might add had shit suspension until you fitted eibach springs which then became a ford approved option!), Leon Cupra, 3.0 Z4 and e92 330d and now the current car. Things change and games move on, all have had their positives and negatives, just like my current car, but I've driven enough types to know for 90% of the time it's just the job with the way our roads our now.

That said I won't be needing such a big car soon so will change to something smaller and more agile, but for its size it's great.

To be honest there is only so much people on a forum can tell you. Everyone will defend their car, but the only way to know for sure is drive the different specs and types, and make your own mind up and go with the one that suits you and only you, not what some strangers on a forum think
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #57
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Siross, tell us more about your car history and I particular which cars your really liked and why, what kind of driving you do, your driving style, and I'd be happy to give you my tuppence worth, but otherwise I think you'll just get the preferences of other people and the their personal buying decisions, which of course they feel the need to justify....which actually isn't always that helpful.

Xdrive itself is Fantastic for what BMW want to market it as which is more security and confidence in poorer conditions. The issue is that it's not set up to be the outright best handling car in the range, which disappointed many buyers. It can be rectified, or else if xdrive isn't something you're fussed about then I'd do without it.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #58
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:

Come on, let's not get selective, what the fuck has driving any car got to do with turning your brain off?

That's the person not the car.

Yes I admit the Xdrive suspension is not great, however the E9x Msport was not great in the too firm area.

Also, it's not traffic lights that it matters, it's busy junctions etc.

Yes the Sdrive is the better summer driving car and yes you can put winters on it.

For the other 10 months I prefer the difference that the Xdrive gives.

There is also the nice bit of actually having a car where it can actually handle the power, unlike some other cars...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #59
WeaverBeaver
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d xDrive M Sport

Siross after all the posts above I can't help but think that it's more detrimental than helpful.

The best thing you can do is test drive both yourself and make up your own mind, pls don't accept as gospel some of the comments on here.

It would be a shame if a load of biased forum members dissuaded you from getting the car you will actually enjoy the most in your own mind.

Many people are pro petrol or diesel, or pro rwd vs 4wd. No one is right or wrong, just personal opinion.

However, some of the comments about xdrive are absolute bollocks - no, the steering is not noticeably different from experience to sdrive. The suspension is absolutely acceptable for the large majority of people even without changing the springs, unless you're a real enthusiast. Mpg is hardly affected. The security, stability and cornering grip it provides is awesome, while remaining rear biased most of the time.

That said, I totally understand the appeal of a rwd setup for other reasons cited.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 07:33 PM   #60
Canary_Yellow
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport + LCI MG

This thread just goes to show that really it's a matter of personal preference and there's no substitute for a test drive.

My choice would be (and is in fact) the 330d - albeit s drive over x drive. That said, I had a 435d vert for a bit which was xdrive and the traction from a standing start is just addictively brilliant.

The 330d suits my needs and driving style better. I'm not one for high revving hooning around country roads, which would suit a petrol, but more about effortless wafting and rapid bursts of power from low revs away from junctions or overtaking. I like the unfussy nature of the 330d.

Try both, you probably won't notice what people are talking about in the comments above. This is especially true if you're not driving a high performance premium car of any type at the moment.

I very much doubt you'd be disappointed with either.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #61
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlees View Post
damn I only got 50mpg doing well north of 70 when I could ...
If anyone can say that getting 50mpg from a 3.0 cyl diesel is a negative, that person clearly has a half empty glass.

Clearly a 330d Sdrive will easily give 60mpg.
Ive had over 60mpg in my 330d rwd. I think you could edge towards 70mpg on a long very slow journey.
      10-28-2015, 02:14 AM   #62
Andy30D
Captain
British Antarctic Territory
Rep
Drives: 330D M sport fully loaded

Well this thread has gone BAM!

Honestly, OP... Find your local dealer and ask for a test drive in X drive and s drive, petrol and diesel. I know you're not thinking of buying, but you could push them to try and match the pricing with their own stock etc.

This is the only way you will find out which you prefer.

These are all peoples opinions.

What counts is YOUR opinion. It's your hard earnt cash, not anyone else's on here...unless, like some, you have been giving favours of a sexual kind to NTG?

Anyway...go find out for yourself! I drive a 330d s drive and love it, and yes it has a slippery back end, but I also won 99% of all Grand Prix on the road etc, I lost to a Porsche once, that was it.

I also own a focus ST, and LOVE driving it, but for the mileage I do I would be crippled in about 10 mins.

My 330d gives me power, fun, and comfort. Spot on really.

Go test drive some, it's a shame you're not in Essex as I would let you jump in mine to see how it drives.

Andy
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 02:18 AM   #63
Andy30D
Captain
British Antarctic Territory
Rep
Drives: 330D M sport fully loaded

Oh and mpg...

I'm getting 40 and I don't pay for diesel, so don't care. So I drive how I want and not for the mpg.

Diesel will give you better mpg. Fact.

If you're planning on getting 50/60/70...why on earth would people get a 30d. You won't be able to use the power and get those figures, not all day every day.
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 03:10 AM   #64
siross
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Siross, tell us more about your car history and I particular which cars your really liked and why, what kind of driving you do, your driving style, and I'd be happy to give you my tuppence worth, but otherwise I think you'll just get the preferences of other people and the their personal buying decisions, which of course they feel the need to justify....which actually isn't always that helpful.

Xdrive itself is Fantastic for what BMW want to market it as which is more security and confidence in poorer conditions. The issue is that it's not set up to be the outright best handling car in the range, which disappointed many buyers. It can be rectified, or else if xdrive isn't something you're fussed about then I'd do without it.
Hi mate, my driving history is very limited to be honest. I've only ever owned 3 cars:

Ford Ka - too long ago to really remember but I hated how small it was!
Rover 25 - felt much bigger compared to the Ford but it was slow, unrefined and the interior looked like it was moulded from old yoghurt pots.
Vectra - I've had this car for nearly 9 years now, I bought it when I first got a salaried job (21) and loved it.

Things I like about the Vectra; Comfy driving position, interior is nice albeit now dated, comfortable to drive
Things I don't like; It's slow, when trying to apply any type of power the front wheels spin, the suspension is soft and doesn't give any confidence in cornering, the gearbox is clunky.

I've driven a fair few other cars as well including a Mini Cooper S (2007) which felt like a go kart, it was fun to drive for short periods but after driving it home from work one day I couldn't wait to get out of it, it felt like a chore. I felt every bump in the road, the clutch was heavy, the steering was heavy! I could imagine it being a blast around winding country roads but on my 30/40mph commute home it was horrible! Power was nice though

Also driven an Astra 1.9 CDti at length with a tuning box. Much more powerful than my Vectra, suspension seemed much better and cornering improved, not sure whether this was because it's a smaller car. I also love the power delivery, effortless power is definitely my preference over high revs, especially as my preference is an auto. The driving position of the Astra is terrible though, it's not a tiny car and I'm not exactly a massive guy but I just couldn't get comfortable, and it didn't have an arm rest wtf!?

Not sure whether any of that helps give a better idea?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 03:15 AM   #65
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by siross
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post

Hi mate, my driving history is very limited to be honest. I've only ever owned 3 cars:

Ford Ka - too long ago to really remember but I hated how small it was!
Rover 25 - felt much bigger compared to the Ford but it was slow, unrefined and the interior looked like it was moulded from old yoghurt pots.
Vectra - I've had this car for nearly 9 years now, I bought it when I first got a salaried job (21) and loved it.

Things I like about the Vectra; Comfy driving position, interior is nice albeit now dated, comfortable to drive
Things I don't like; It's slow, when trying to apply any type of power the front wheels spin, the suspension is soft and doesn't give any confidence in cornering, the gearbox is clunky.

I've driven a fair few other cars as well including a Mini Cooper S (2007) which felt like a go kart, it was fun to drive for short periods but after driving it home from work one day I couldn't wait to get out of it, it felt like a chore. I felt every bump in the road, the clutch was heavy, the steering was heavy! I could imagine it being a blast around winding country roads but on my 30/40mph commute home it was horrible! Power was nice though

Also driven an Astra 1.9 CDti at length with a tuning box. Much more powerful than my Vectra, suspension seemed much better and cornering improved, not sure whether this was because it's a smaller car. I also love the power delivery, effortless power is definitely my preference over high revs, especially as my preference is an auto. The driving position of the Astra is terrible though, it's not a tiny car and I'm not exactly a massive guy but I just couldn't get comfortable, and it didn't have an arm rest wtf!?

Not sure whether any of that helps give a better idea?
Yes that's pretty helpful. I suspect you'd absolutely love the 330d!
To be honest you'd love both those cars after what you've had so far, but it sounds like you'd like the easy mid range muscle of a diesel and the comfort of the xdrive suspension.
I really don't get the impression you're a wannabe rally driver on the back roads like some of us, so I doubt the handling of the sdrive v xdrive would be the most important thing to you.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 03:16 AM   #66
siross
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaverBeaver View Post
Siross after all the posts above I can't help but think that it's more detrimental than helpful.

The best thing you can do is test drive both yourself and make up your own mind, pls don't accept as gospel some of the comments on here.

It would be a shame if a load of biased forum members dissuaded you from getting the car you will actually enjoy the most in your own mind.

Many people are pro petrol or diesel, or pro rwd vs 4wd. No one is right or wrong, just personal opinion.

However, some of the comments about xdrive are absolute bollocks - no, the steering is not noticeably different from experience to sdrive. The suspension is absolutely acceptable for the large majority of people even without changing the springs, unless you're a real enthusiast. Mpg is hardly affected. The security, stability and cornering grip it provides is awesome, while remaining rear biased most of the time.

That said, I totally understand the appeal of a rwd setup for other reasons cited.
I know what you mean mate, I'm guilty of relying on information from others as I've not got a whole load of experience with cars.

I think you're right, I need to test drive both.

As I've said, I really didn't want this to get into an argument between S Drive and X Drive owners, like you say, people buy cars for different reasons, it's all horses for courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
This thread just goes to show that really it's a matter of personal preference and there's no substitute for a test drive.

My choice would be (and is in fact) the 330d - albeit s drive over x drive. That said, I had a 435d vert for a bit which was xdrive and the traction from a standing start is just addictively brilliant.

The 330d suits my needs and driving style better. I'm not one for high revving hooning around country roads, which would suit a petrol, but more about effortless wafting and rapid bursts of power from low revs away from junctions or overtaking. I like the unfussy nature of the 330d.

Try both, you probably won't notice what people are talking about in the comments above. This is especially true if you're not driving a high performance premium car of any type at the moment.

I very much doubt you'd be disappointed with either.
I drive a 2006 1.8 vvti Vauxhall Vectra, it's possibly the only rival to the M3 so it's going to be a tough decision to step down to either a 330d regardless of X Drive or S Drive

I think I'm sold on the power delivery of a diesel after loving the 320d and 520d that I test drove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy30D View Post
Well this thread has gone BAM!

Honestly, OP... Find your local dealer and ask for a test drive in X drive and s drive, petrol and diesel. I know you're not thinking of buying, but you could push them to try and match the pricing with their own stock etc.

This is the only way you will find out which you prefer.

These are all peoples opinions.

What counts is YOUR opinion. It's your hard earnt cash, not anyone else's on here...unless, like some, you have been giving favours of a sexual kind to NTG?

Anyway...go find out for yourself! I drive a 330d s drive and love it, and yes it has a slippery back end, but I also won 99% of all Grand Prix on the road etc, I lost to a Porsche once, that was it.

I also own a focus ST, and LOVE driving it, but for the mileage I do I would be crippled in about 10 mins.

My 330d gives me power, fun, and comfort. Spot on really.

Go test drive some, it's a shame you're not in Essex as I would let you jump in mine to see how it drives.

Andy
Thanks mate, would it just be a simple case of saying I'm looking at buying a UAC 330d and not sure whether to go X Drive or S Drive, have you got both for me to test drive? I suppose it's also important that the X Drive is the pre-LCI model given some anecdotal evidence of a firmer set up in the revised model?

Your quote "My 330d gives me power, fun, and comfort. Spot on really." reaffirms that the 330d is exactly the car I want!

Thanks for all the help so far chaps, I'm going to have a look into test driving a couple of cars! I work across the road from BMW Williams in Manchester so I can have a look at their used car stock online
Appreciate 0