F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > AFE B58 Momentum Pro air intake
proTUNING Freaks

12-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #1
Ads4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MPPSK 340i with MP Bodykit

AFE B58 Momentum Pro air intake

Any 40i owner tried one of these yet? Expensive mod, was wondering if anyone had fitted one and could comment as to changes with noise and throttle response?
      12-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
Ads4
Lieutenant
Rep

So down to me to trial then??!! 😂😂😂
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13294.50
      12-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Think so pal - fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 04:07 AM   #4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

£550 is a lot and the price for a remap almost which gives considerably more power and torque. Appreciate remap may be able to utilise the extra airflow it gives so I imagine the two would work well.

Still it's a lot of dosh and an obvious mod come service time at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
Ads4
Lieutenant
Rep

Pricey yes but worth a try IMO. I’ve usually upgraded air intakes in previous petrol cars and always found the throttle slightly more responsive so would hope to find the same with this one. Just wondered on intake noise really but probably won’t hear it over the MPPSK tbh 😂 With the reduced back pressure in the new exhaust and a decent air intake there should see some good numbers if I go for the DMS remap in a few months months when it’s available....think I’m going to click buy on the intake and give it a shot. Never worried about intake changes before at service, they usually just note intake filter not changed or cleaned due to customer upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 05:44 AM   #6
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Have a look on the B58 section of this forum. Lots of the Americans are playing around with intakes, and all seem to be having problems (lots of heat soak etc).
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335Xd, E81 130i

BMW win engine of the year for decades going, they're not going to leave mpg on the table in the current tax-crazy world we live.

The intakes will be absolutely top notch.

Ok they'll be 'cheap' made (no need for exotic materials as they're after good enough, not Bugatti 'wow') but the design and volume costs will mean an aftermarket will have to spend millions just to develop something better.

It's just not going to happen.

Save your money.

Unless you just want it to be different, which is fine. But don't fool yourself into thinking it'll be better imo.
Appreciate 1
dizzy619446.50
      12-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
Ads4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whippy View Post
BMW win engine of the year for decades going, they're not going to leave mpg on the table in the current tax-crazy world we live.

The intakes will be absolutely top notch.

Ok they'll be 'cheap' made (no need for exotic materials as they're after good enough, not Bugatti 'wow') but the design and volume costs will mean an aftermarket will have to spend millions just to develop something better.

It's just not going to happen.

Save your money.

Unless you just want it to be different, which is fine. But don't fool yourself into thinking it'll be better imo.
I don’t think that there would be much of a tuning market if we all believed that manufacturers made engines and components as good as you could get! Exhausts, air intakes, remaps...all available upgrades for Prsche, Ferrari, Mercedes, Lamborghini etc without spending millions to develop. Why do BMW offer MPPK and MPPSK performance additions?! The majority of components are enough for their task but easily upgradable for more power, freer flowing exhausts with less back pressure (like the MPPSK one!) and intakes that are less restrictive than standard.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 04:26 PM   #9
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335Xd, E81 130i

Do BMW do MPPSK air intake?

Exhaust end is noisy. That's what you're 90% paying for.
They could make a free flow quiet but it'd be heavier too.

If the air intake costs pumping losses (which it doesn't because of the ram air system all cars since the late 90s used to reduce valuable intake losses), it's literally 'CO2s' on the table.

Ok at very high intake requirements it's going to become limited.

So if there is a case for it then great.

But I'd want to see intake pressures as standard at pre filter, post filter, and turbo intake, at various rpm and road speeds.
Then afterwards, showing a clear benefit which would allow you to conclude it was better.

But even then it may be irrelevant until say 450bhp+

I'm all for modding. But you need proof.

If you're happy without it then again that's fine but there is every chance you're just flushing money down the air intake ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #10
Ads4
Lieutenant
Rep

Still thinking about biting the bullet on one of these, for the sake of research and another trip to the rolling road....also to maximise gains when DMS finally sort out a 340i map....

Thoughts on whether to get the dry or oiled filter?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 02:51 PM   #11
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ads4 View Post
Any 40i owner tried one of these yet? Expensive mod, was wondering if anyone had fitted one and could comment as to changes with noise and throttle response?
A pedal box would make a lot more difference to your throttle response and it's half the price and guaranteed to work.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #12
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

What Mr Whippy said.

You might get a different sound, due to different resonance characteristics, but a turbo charged engine that gets fed by a 60hp fan is going to laugh at your ever so slightly *less restrictive £500 upgrade.

* tuners may tell lies to sell their product, always look both ways when crossing the road, your house is at risk if you do not maintain your payments, £580 buys a lot of placebo.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 05:49 PM   #13
Ads4
Lieutenant
Rep

So regardless of whether it is a waste or not, whether it gets me 2 or 10 more bhp, whether just because it satisfies me as a person modding my car and getting a nice new intake because I also like the look of it....regardless of whether I am the only person in the world interested in doing this mod and everyone thinks I’m mental....

....should I go for a dry or an oil air filter??!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 05:51 PM   #14
Ads4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
A pedal box would make a lot more difference to your throttle response and it's half the price and guaranteed to work.
Already got one!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 05:59 PM   #15
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
So regardless of whether it is a waste or not, whether it gets me 2 or 10 more bhp, whether just because it satisfies me as a person modding my car and getting a nice new intake because I also like the look of it....regardless of whether I am the only person in the world interested in doing this mod and everyone thinks I’m mental....

....should I go for a dry or an oil air filter??!!
Dry. Oiled can cause problems with intake air sensors.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 06:23 PM   #16
UltimateDream
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would go for the Dry one:

https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/prod...240i-340i-440i
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 01:33 AM   #17
Southern Jay
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i MSport GC

I've swapped out my air filter for a Pipercross direct replacement, and there is a notable difference in the sound when under load. I'm looking a new intake as my next mod, will be keen to see your feedback if you do go for it.

I've been watching a three on the US forums and there is a lot of positive noise for the AP intake,
Current mods: Mperformance rear spoiler, diffuser, side vinyls and front grille, non OEM carbon mirror caps, Remus cat back exhaust, Eibach springs, TPI spacers 15mm rear and 12mm front, Maxton side blades and v2 front splitter, Pipercross direct replacement air filter, Remus Powerizer.

Current:
F36 440i M Sport GC STORMTROOPER

Previous:
F30 320d M Sport Xdrive STORMTROOPER
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #18
Ads4
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I bit the bullet! Couldn’t stop thinking about giving this a try and so gave in to the evil voices and ordered a few weeks ago. I ordered the dry version however the oiled one came in it’s place. After numerous emails to ML Performance and directly with Afe I decided to keep the oiled filter and give it a go. They don’t seem to have had issues with them and have committed to replace with a dry filter should there be any problems. Considering the oiled does outperform the dry version I thought I’d give it a go. Fitted it with the air scoop this morning so will see how it performs. Definitely a better throttle response, very little induction noise and looks great Will get it on the rolling road when the temperature is a little closer to when it was last on
Attached Images

07-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #19
Southern Jay
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well I bit the bullet! Couldn’t stop thinking about giving this a try and so gave in to the evil voices and ordered a few weeks ago. I ordered the dry version however the oiled one came in it’s place. After numerous emails to ML Performance and directly with Afe I decided to keep the oiled filter and give it a go. They don’t seem to have had issues with them and have committed to replace with a dry filter should there be any problems. Considering the oiled does outperform the dry version I thought I’d give it a go. Fitted it with the air scoop this morning so will see how it performs. Definitely a better throttle response, very little induction noise and looks great Will get it on the rolling road when the temperature is a little closer to when it was last on
Looks good mate. Keen to see your review.

How much did it cost ?
Current mods: Mperformance rear spoiler, diffuser, side vinyls and front grille, non OEM carbon mirror caps, Remus cat back exhaust, Eibach springs, TPI spacers 15mm rear and 12mm front, Maxton side blades and v2 front splitter, Pipercross direct replacement air filter, Remus Powerizer.

Current:

Previous:
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #20
Ads4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Jay View Post

How much did it cost ?
Not cheap! But then I didn’t want a cheap air filter so I’m more than happy with the quality of what I paid for. This was £610 IIRC and £80 for the air scoop. Interestingly once I took the front off and the drivers side grill out to fit the scoop, according to the literature and photos the American cars come with a cut out and perforated removable grille panel on the inside left so the scoop directs air through it, our cars have a blanking panel that is solid and lets no air through at all? Mine is now removed lol.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #21
Southern Jay
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Jay View Post

How much did it cost ?
Not cheap! But then I didn’t want a cheap air filter so I’m more than happy with the quality of what I paid for. This was £610 IIRC and £80 for the air scoop. Interestingly once I took the front off and the drivers side grill out to fit the scoop, according to the literature and photos the American cars come with a cut out and perforated removable grille panel on the inside left so the scoop directs air through it, our cars have a blanking panel that is solid and lets no air through at all? Mine is now removed lol.
I'm of the same mind when it comes to mods.

Thanks for the info mate. Where do you go for dyno'ing?

Current:

Previous:
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #22
Ads4
Lieutenant
Rep

I always go to see Charlie at Surrey Rolling Road 👍🏻
Appreciate 0