F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Intercooler and CP Recommendations
European Auto Source

06-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #45
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I put black anodized fmic and charge pipes (both sides) from ER on my F30 335. I already had a Dinan cae, full Akra exhaust and M Performance Power Kit at that time. To tell the truth I think the ER fmic was too large for this setup. I actually lost low end power.

Because of this (and my addiction to modifying cars) I brought it over to Enzo to layer a custom tune onto the Power Kit and add a catless downpipe. This made all the difference. Power at all rpm is now markedly better than it ever was. My only regret is now I'm spoiled. The car runs like a champ!

The moral of the story is be careful you don't put too large of an intake tract on your little oem charging system, or you may need to improve that too.

Don't doubt what you say, yet am curious.... maybe the DP helped to 'balance' the increase of incoming air? Reason for asking is; just received a Fabspeed HJS catted DP and will install next week.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #46
XxThe_RemedyXx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Holy cow. No way it takes a dealer 4+ hours to install a CP and FMIC.

I bet a good tech can install both in 1 hour. Super simple.

If either of you have a garage, you should give install a shot and save the money.
Dude I wish I had a lift, I'm sure I could do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #47
glennQNYC
Space Force Door Gunner
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Quote:
I put black anodized fmic and charge pipes (both sides) from ER on my F30 335. I already had a Dinan cae, full Akra exhaust and M Performance Power Kit at that time. To tell the truth I think the ER fmic was too large for this setup. I actually lost low end power.

Because of this (and my addiction to modifying cars) I brought it over to Enzo to layer a custom tune onto the Power Kit and add a catless downpipe. This made all the difference. Power at all rpm is now markedly better than it ever was. My only regret is now I'm spoiled. The car runs like a champ!

The moral of the story is be careful you don't put too large of an intake tract on your little oem charging system, or you may need to improve that too.

Don't doubt what you say, yet am curious.... maybe the DP helped to 'balance' the increase of incoming air? Reason for asking is; just received a Fabspeed HJS catted DP and will install next week.
I wasn't getting proper boost pressure until Enzo cracked open my ECU and uploaded his custom tune. Initially I thought I had a leak. After proving to myself I had a sealed intake tract it became obvious the sheer size of the ER fmic was the issue. Enzo confirmed this after he did the tune. The ER fmic and charge pipes is a lot of volume to pressurize with the stock turbo and just MPPK.
      06-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #48
MacklinUSOB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
Quote:

If either of you have a garage, you should give install a shot and save the money.
I did my FMIC with a couple jack stands and it was a breeze, done in an hour. The charge pipe clips aren't even a hassle if you use zip ties and something to keep them stuck open, otherwise there is just two screws and some wiggling to do.

328i sDrive | Sportline | Coral Red on MW | 6MT | JB+ | MPE | GPlus FMIC | KW V2 | F80 LCA | APEX SM-10 | Michelin PS4S | EBC RedStuff | RBF600 |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2018, 02:27 PM   #49
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep

Quote:
...The ER fmic and charge pipes is a lot of volume to pressurize with the stock turbo and just MPPK.
Ahhhh, many thanks and makes sense. The stock turbo simply can't properly provide ongoing pressure it seems with that setup. Afterall, this is a 'system' of bits.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #50
glennQNYC
Space Force Door Gunner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Quote:
...The ER fmic and charge pipes is a lot of volume to pressurize with the stock turbo and just MPPK.
Ahhhh, many thanks and makes sense. The stock turbo simply can't properly provide ongoing pressure it seems with that setup. Afterall, this is a 'system' of bits.
Just to further clarify... The issue was the MPPK tune wasn't aggressive enough in ramping up pressure. The result was low boost pressure at low rpm. I ultimately had good pressure at high rpm, but I lost low-end torque until Enzo tuned the ECU to ramp up pressure more aggressively.
      06-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #51
sspade
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I did my FMIC with a couple jack stands and it was a breeze, done in an hour. The charge pipe clips aren't even a hassle if you use zip ties and something to keep them stuck open, otherwise there is just two screws and some wiggling to do.
Same. Took me a bit longer (admittedly) but I also installed a TIC and DV+ at the same time. DV+ was a bitch due to tight access but other than that, very easy and quick install.

328 . DP . FMIC . CP/TIC . DV
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #52
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

I recommend Active Autowerke, Wagner EVO I or VRSF 5" for your mods OP.

For the charge pipe, VRSF or Active Autowerke
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #53
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

VRSF's new HD Street FMIC is hard to beat. Mate it with a VRSF CP for easier install and great value.

|NEW! HPB 6 LED Side Marker Modules! | |CTS| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Fabspeed| |Injen| Fall Sales Up to 10% OFF!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #54
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

Garage List
Quote:
Did they fix the recent issue with the bracket being off due to a faulty jig?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #55
FastF30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Quote:

I'd do it in a heart beat but here in the city there is no where to work on it... can't work on your car in the parking garage I'm in... plus being on warranty still just want them to do it... but haven't received the estimate yet... so we'll see... They gave me an X1 28i to tool around in... now I can go to costco this weekend and not worry about the parking lot .... lol..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 09:45 PM   #56
XxThe_RemedyXx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
Quote:

I'd do it in a heart beat but here in the city there is no where to work on it... can't work on your car in the parking garage I'm in... plus being on warranty still just want them to do it... but haven't received the estimate yet... so we'll see... They gave me an X1 28i to tool around in... now I can go to costco this weekend and not worry about the parking lot .... lol..
LOL!!! I'm in Westchester. You ever need some space to work on your car feel free to come up, just bring some of those hard seltzers (I'm on a diet).

06-29-2018, 06:25 AM   #57
XxThe_RemedyXx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I recommend Active Autowerke, Wagner EVO I or VRSF 5" for your mods OP.

For the charge pipe, VRSF or Active Autowerke
Thanks Mike, I'll look into these.
      06-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #58
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

Quote:
Thanks Mike, I'll look into these.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 04:40 PM   #59
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Did they fix the recent issue with the bracket being off due to a faulty jig?
Hope so, will know more once installed (hopefully this week). Ordered it about a month ago and just got it.

Steven
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #60
FastF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm just doing it with the dealer because it's still on warranty... should be around 4hrs or $500 I'm hoping...

Bayside BMW Dealership just called... $540...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #61
sspade
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm just doing it with the dealer because it's still on warranty... should be around 4hrs or $500 I'm hoping...

Dude. You're going to pay $540 for a CP and FMIC install?!

Im not trying to be cool when I say they were VERY easy and straightforward to do... on my back in the garage. Even easier with a proper lift.

Simple hand tools and a pair of ramps from Walmart is all you need. I promise you could you it on your own without a doubt.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 01:54 PM   #62
FastF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Im not trying to be cool when I say they were VERY easy and straightforward to do... on my back in the garage. Even easier with a proper lift.

Simple hand tools and a pair of ramps from Walmart is all you need. I promise you could you it on your own without a doubt.
Yes it is pretty straight forward... if you have a garage... tools... time... $500 is reasonable to me and my wallet for a dealer quote... plus car is under warranty and this just makes it easier if something happens when installed at the dealership...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #63
glennQNYC
Space Force Door Gunner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It may be easy and straightforward, but you can't accurately put a value on his time and effort. I've had many occasions where I said "I can't afford my own time" and paid someone to do something for me when I could do it myself.
      07-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #64
sspade
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It may be easy and straightforward, but you can't accurately put a value on his time and effort. I've had many occasions where I said "I can't afford my own time" and paid someone to do something for me when I could do it myself.
Fair enough...

For two hours time, we can assume he makes $250+ per hour. That seems realistic.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #65
glennQNYC
Space Force Door Gunner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fair enough...

For two hours time, we can assume he makes $250+ per hour. That seems realistic.
It might not be a direct monetary correlation. He might rather spend time with one of his kids, or bang 3 hookers for all I know. Some things are priceless.

07-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #66
sspade
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fair enough...

It might not be a direct monetary correlation. He might rather spend time with one of his kids, or bang 3 hookers for all I know. Some things are priceless.
Haha, very true

At the end of the day - you're right. I just hate seeing people blow money at the stealership. Certain things, you absolutely need their expertise for but others can be done with a bit of effort.

I may be the odd person that actually enjoys working on their car once in a while.

Appreciate 0