F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Any fleet management bods?
Studio RSR

09-13-2018, 03:50 AM   #1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Any fleet management bods?

I am looking to do some work with a fleet management company and have been doing some research. I am particularly interested in current and future business challenges, wltp,tax etc and what IT technical solutions, inovations would help.

Any pointers appreciated.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
Abdul Karim
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Get out of diesel would be my advice. The way taxation is going the residuals will be hammered.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 03:46 AM   #3
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Son in law has done fleet management so will ask him when back home. Whole life costs are everything. Move to hybrids giving some fleet managers challenges - drivers want them to keep BIK down but running costs can be higher.

Also remember that a large portion of any fleet can be vans where weight limits, suspension options, load space size and usability can be very important - along with comfort and convenience for drivers who spend hours in them.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Son in law has done fleet management so will ask him when back home. Whole life costs are everything. Move to hybrids giving some fleet managers challenges - drivers want them to keep BIK down but running costs can be higher.

Also remember that a large portion of any fleet can be vans where weight limits, suspension options, load space size and usability can be very important - along with comfort and convenience for drivers who spend hours in them.
Nice one cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #5
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Fleets are dying most businesses want out of them and prefer allowances for obvious reasons.

I don't agree with the move as it moves the financial obligation on to the employee but it's the direction of travel.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:19 AM   #6
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Fleets are dying most businesses want out of them and prefer allowances for obvious reasons.

I don't agree with the move as it moves the financial obligation on to the employee but it's the direction of travel.
Still a good few companies with very large fleets - not all fleet management is about private cars. Think BTs is the biggest in total.

My previous employer had a fleet of 800 and 600 or so were cars, and that was increasing. Partly due to growth, partly due to low BIK rates on hybrids attracting people back in and partly because the firm were expecting more people in the office more days - meaning more commute / private miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 04:05 AM   #7
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Still a good few companies with very large fleets - not all fleet management is about private cars. Think BTs is the biggest in total.

My previous employer had a fleet of 800 and 600 or so were cars, and that was increasing. Partly due to growth, partly due to low BIK rates on hybrids attracting people back in and partly because the firm were expecting more people in the office more days - meaning more commute / private miles.
Still a few left but the company car is going away, the company van isn't but I wouldn't put it past the bean counters to try it on.

I really don't agree with it as large businesses are clearing their balance sheets and dumping the risk onto their employees.

I work for a FTSE 100 business and we have closed the company car scheme to new entrants and you're forced off it when your car comes up for renewal and it's causing hardship for some people.
      09-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
Brigadier General
Rep

I think the market is moving towards short term business hire/lease and towards usership from ownership so still a role toplay just different.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:

Yep, my bro in law works for Beaverbrooks and they have now switched from buying company cars to giving staff an allowance to get a lease car. It has changed the way staff choose the cars, he was going to get a Mondeo next time to save money but now a 3 Series would be the same or cheaper due to how leases work. Also no need to worry about BIK with this method I believe.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #10
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Yep, my bro in law works for Beaverbrooks and they have now switched from buying company cars to giving staff an allowance to get a lease car. It has changed the way staff choose the cars, he was going to get a Mondeo next time to save money but now a 3 Series would be the same or cheaper due to how leases work. Also no need to worry about BIK with this method I believe.
No BIK as you're taxed on the allowance and renting the car yourself however you also have the debt against you for me if your job needs you to travel day to day on company business and isn't just a perk then you should have the option to have a company car.
      09-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #11
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No BIK as you're taxed on the allowance and renting the car yourself however you also have the debt against you for me if your job needs you to travel day to day on company business and isn't just a perk then you should have the option to have a company car.
I don’t think there is any debt against your name on a lease is there?

They do get all their fuel paid for, including all personal use, so they get a quite a perk.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #12
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I don’t think there is any debt against your name on a lease is there?

They do get all their fuel paid for, including all personal use, so they get a quite a perk.
If you sign the paperwork then yes.
      09-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #13
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If you sign the paperwork then yes.
Strange, I had my 330d on PCH when we got our mortgage and were told that the car didn’t count towards our current debt, we just had to declare the monthly payment as outgoings.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #14
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Strange, I had my 330d on PCH when we got our mortgage and were told that the car didn’t count towards our current debt, we just had to declare the monthly payment as outgoings.
The debt in a lease is the commitment under the lease rather than the cost of the car.

The attractiveness of company cars is always down to the tax environment, the govt could make them more attractive overnight by changing the rules. As it stands they are pushing personal financing, but if they want to change how and what we buy they just need to change the rules..

Private fuel seems to be growing in popularity again for non company cars - no scale charge, you just pay 20/40/45% of amount spent as your tax bill.

I am trying to get my car allowance changed to salary so it’s pensionable (and bonusable - but it’s the pension contribution I want..)
Appreciate 2
teaston10994.50
sahajesh2294.00
      09-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #15
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what that has to do with being responsible for the payments on a lease agreement? You sign the lease you're responsible for paying the lease cost over the term.

If you take a lease on a 3+23 agreement at £500 a month your credit file will show a commitment to the balance of that operating lease at the start of £11500 and then reducing from there.

It's an outstanding debt commitment, what your mortgage provider does or doesn't count as part of their affordability test is neither here nor there.
      09-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #16
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what that has to do with being responsible for the payments on a lease agreement? You sign the lease you're responsible for paying the lease cost over the term.

If you take a lease on a 3+23 agreement at £500 a month your credit file will show a commitment to the balance of that operating lease at the start of £11500 and then reducing from there.

It's an outstanding debt commitment, what your mortgage provider does or doesn't count as part of their affordability test is neither here nor there.
There was definitely nothing on my credit file when I had the lease, I check my credit file regularly.
Appreciate 0