F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > PDC front bumper - Curb detection
proTUNING Freaks

08-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #1
Neneonline
Rep
Drives: F33 440i

PDC front bumper - Curb detection

Hi bimmers,

It strikes me that front PDC design is naive. Let me explain:

It is good that it helps you avoid hitting the car in front or a wall... but, that is something that you can see (actually, I've been parking all my life without PDC and never needed it to avoid hitting the car in front)... however, it provides no help at all in preventing that you drive over the curb and scratch all your bumper.

What's more, the f30 surround view option provides "almost" 360 view of your car but misses the front part. You can activate the two front cameras... but they also fail to help in preventing you driving over the curb.

I'd love to hear some empathy, or some advice, or some criticism (you don't know how to drive!!).

Also, anyone has thought about installing additional sensors for the lower part of the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

My PDC does detect curbs high enough to hit the bumper. If yours doesn't I bet it's possible to aim the sensors down a bit, though you can't aim them downward too much, lest they detect the ground. In any event where they're most useful is in city parking, detecting the distance to the bumper of the car in front of you, which is well below where you can see.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
Neneonline
Rep

Wow! I feel super envious Billfitz

My front PDC does definitely not detect the curb... and the lower part of the bumper has some scratches that hurt me every time I think about them.

I will try and record a video to show you guys the experience of parking and not detecting curbs.

Anyone else can comment if their front PDC also detects curbs?

**EDIT**

Adding pictures of bumper in proximity to the curb, not being detected.

Last edited by Neneonline; 08-23-2018 at 04:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

That is the reason I chose not to order my car with M Sport. The front bumper sticks out lower. Besides the curbs, sometimes I need to deal with a house in the country with a steep, rough driveway. The extra 1/2" - 3/4" is important
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8225.00
      08-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
garcijav
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neneonline View Post

My front PDC does definitely not detect the curb... and the lower part of the bumper has some scratches that hurt me every time I think about them.

I will try and record a video to show you guys the experience of parking and not detecting curbs.

Neneonline, there are some solutions in this forum. Use the search, find front camera and see the solutions

Best Regards from Lugo, in Spain.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #6
silver.f30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i - Glacier Silver

My PDC sensors will detect curbs, but once I get too close they fall out of range. That's usually how I know about where to stop
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
Neneonline
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcijav View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neneonline View Post

Neneonline, there are some solutions in this forum. Use the search, find front camera and see the solutions

Thanks garcijav for suggesting I use the search functionality.

Could you please point me to a specific post? There are quite a few posts matching "front camera" and I don't seem to find anything suitable in the first few pages.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:03 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

My 2017 BMW 440i GC does not detect curbs so I park at least one foot away from the curb. Wish BMW had an OEM solution.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2018, 04:37 AM   #9
Neneonline
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcijav View Post

Hi garcijav

I have been trying hard to find the solutions that you mention but have not been successful. I would honestly be grateful if you could share a link to the ones you mention.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0