F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Charge Pipe question......
Extreme Powerhouse

08-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
47Straight
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i Sportline

Charge Pipe question......

So, I have a 2013 335i and I've read several threads about the factory charge pipe and it's tendency to fail. I put it on the list of required upgrades that I would get to before long. It sounds like most people think the evolution raceworks charge pipe is a good solution.

So, today my car decided that I needed to make the upgrade sooner rather than later

I was leaving work and stepped on the gas to get into traffic and suddenly I had a car that had no boost, was shuddering a bit, wouldn't idle quite right, and threw a CEL. I went back to the office and ran codes. There were several codes but the one that seemed to make most sense was related to the MAF. So, I limped to autozone and bought some MAF cleaner then limped home (neither were very far). I got home, cleared the codes again, did diagnostics and came up with several different codes.

At that point I opened the hood and, right before my eyes was a charge pipe that was disconnected from the intake manifold and I could tell that the flange on the pipe was broken. I'm actually fairly relieved because it was an upgrade that I planned on doing anyway, and it's a relatively easy and inexpensive fix.

So, although I missed the chance to make a long story short, my question is: Is there anything else I need to be aware of regarding the charge pipe replacement. I know how to do it, but is there anything I need to consider regarding the upgrade. Any other parts or recommendations that might relate to future upgrades. I don't have any immediate plans to do a JB4 module or anything like that, but I wouldn't rule it out either. I haven't read anything that makes me think I need to do anything other than the upgrade kit, but I'd love to hear any considerations that might affect the choice of parts, kits or other items.

Much thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #2
rphz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435xi

I'd recommend upgrading your intercooler and turbo to intercooler pipe (TIC) while you are changing out the chargepipe. Even if you don't plan any other upgrades, you will notice improved throttle response, slightly less turbo lag, and more pull at higher speeds if you go this route. FTP has a great chargepipe and TIC combo on BavAuto or Ebay including the C-clip and o-rings (at no charge) for less than the typical competition with equivalent (and arguably better) quality.

There are several "entry level" aftermarket intercoolers that would be ideal for you such as VRSF 5" or Active Autowerke. Do not get a huge intercooler such as the ER, Wagner Evo 2, CSF, or other "race" models as you will lose low end power without the appropriate supporting mods.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 11:06 PM   #3
47Straight
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i Sportline

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not really looking to spend that much money at the moment. If I go with the FTP charge pipe now, will that work with the TIC and intercooler if I do those later, or do I need a different charge pipe for the upgraded intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

CP change only should be fine, never seen anyone destroy a stock TIC. Just make sure the o-ring and clip are installed tight to avoid leaks.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Most people, myself included, change out the intercooler at the same time since it comes out to swap the chargepipe. I went with the street intercooler from VRSF and it was a perfect fit with the VRSF CP i picked up from Mike over at X-ph. He wont steer you wrong.
      08-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Most people, myself included, change out the intercooler at the same time since it comes out to swap the chargepipe. I went with the street intercooler from VRSF and it was a perfect fit with the VRSF CP i picked up from Mike over at X-ph. He wont steer you wrong.
Yep. When I changed my CP I did the IC as well. Do it, you won't regret it.
      08-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #7
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Skip the TIC, it's a waste of money. Someone is selling a brand new ER CP in the classifieds. It's one of the best options for an aftermarket CP.
      08-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

As others have said, no need to replace the TIC, do the CP and you'll be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

I'm gonna echo again, forget about the TIC unless you're upgrading your turbo... it's a waste of money. But yeah if you have the extra cash you're literally dropping the IC and might as well add an upgraded one.

But if you want to save the cash an upgraded IC isnt really necessary unless you're pushing stage 2 in a warm climate.

All about money my friend! And make sure your CP fits with your IC
      08-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Straight View Post
So, I have a 2013 335i and I've read several threads about the factory charge pipe and it's tendency to fail. I put it on the list of required upgrades that I would get to before long. It sounds like most people think the evolution raceworks charge pipe is a good solution.

So, today my car decided that I needed to make the upgrade sooner rather than later

I was leaving work and stepped on the gas to get into traffic and suddenly I had a car that had no boost, was shuddering a bit, wouldn't idle quite right, and threw a CEL. I went back to the office and ran codes. There were several codes but the one that seemed to make most sense was related to the MAF. So, I limped to autozone and bought some MAF cleaner then limped home (neither were very far). I got home, cleared the codes again, did diagnostics and came up with several different codes.

At that point I opened the hood and, right before my eyes was a charge pipe that was disconnected from the intake manifold and I could tell that the flange on the pipe was broken. I'm actually fairly relieved because it was an upgrade that I planned on doing anyway, and it's a relatively easy and inexpensive fix.

So, although I missed the chance to make a long story short, my question is: Is there anything else I need to be aware of regarding the charge pipe replacement. I know how to do it, but is there anything I need to consider regarding the upgrade. Any other parts or recommendations that might relate to future upgrades. I don't have any immediate plans to do a JB4 module or anything like that, but I wouldn't rule it out either. I haven't read anything that makes me think I need to do anything other than the upgrade kit, but I'd love to hear any considerations that might affect the choice of parts, kits or other items.

Much thanks for any input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
Someone is selling a brand new ER CP in the classifieds. It's one of the best options for an aftermarket CP.
And the seller, whoever he might be, is willing to express ship it out as well if you need it fast.

Seller must be a great guy
Appreciate 1
Korvo368.00
      08-18-2018, 01:20 AM   #11
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Straight View Post

It sounds like most people think the evolution raceworks charge pipe is a good solution.

I know how to do it, but is there anything I need to consider regarding the upgrade. Any other parts or recommendations that might relate to future upgrades. I don't have any immediate plans to do a JB4 module or anything like that, but I wouldn't rule it out either. I haven't read anything that makes me think I need to do anything other than the upgrade kit, but I'd love to hear any considerations that might affect the choice of parts...
I spent 15 minutes writing a detailed response only to have it wiped out at the 11PM PT Website Backup.

I’ll sum it up again quickly.

ER Chargepipes are the best for at least 2 reasons people do not bring up.

1) Unlike many cheaper brands (VSRF) ER has separate models for RWD and AWD/XDrive. The OEM (and cheaper brands) are used by both RWD & AWD. ER’s RWD Model is larger than the OEM. Larger = more air into turbos which translates to more power and cooler air.

2) ER’s build quality is second to none. There is a thread on the forum showing parts inside the VSRF that impede smooth airflow. While some who do not know what they are talking about claimed this was no big deal, it is and I will give you first hand experience.

The original Vipers (V-10 no turbo) had a two 6” ridged flexible pipe from the front grill forcing air into the engine. While the ridged pipe made it easy to install, it set up severe turbulence in the short pipes. By replacing with rigid, solid pipe, I was able to gain an additional 10HP and smoother performance. Now if it was 10HP on a short 6” straight pipe, imagine the turbulence set up in a pipe where there is a 90 degree bend and an object blocking the flow on a 18” or so pipe.

Think about what Steve Jobs said and did that drove his Techs nuts. He insisted the inside that people didn’t see should be as beautiful as the outside parts.

ER has it right Yes, you can cheap out. But it’s smarter to buy quality.
Attached Images

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 08-18-2018 at 01:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #12
rphz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435xi

My recommendation for changing out the TIC is based on rigidity (rubber hose vs solid metal) and the diameter difference at the smallest point of the OEM TIC, which is about 10% smaller in diameter than aftermarket. My experience with an aftermarket TIC has been positive and I feel that it has further reduced turbo lag and increased throttle response on my car. Never mentioned anything about these failing and am not suggesting that OP consider one based on that.

I tested both the FTP and ER TICs, and ended up sticking with the FTP due to it fitting and clearing much better than the ER. It's also physically built better. I posted quite awhile back about this in another thread, so if you are looking for additional details they are out there, but here's a picture again of the difference between the three TICs (from left to right: FTP, ER, OEM):

When comparing charge pipes, I would agree that between VRSF and ER, the ER is superior (I returned the VRSF I purchased due to poor fit and finish). However, there are other charge pipes out there, and I would challenge that ER is "the best". I ended up with FTP, which others on here who have purchased would agree, it is a well built charge pipe and an excellent alternative to the competition. Additionally, ER charge pipes don't fit all after market intercoolers, and this should be considered up front, even if the FMIC purchase is down the road, as you may end up having to purchase a second CP or find a compatible FMIC.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
I spent 15 minutes writing a detailed response only to have it wiped out at the 11PM PT Website Backup.

I’ll sum it up again quickly.

ER Chargepipes are the best for at least 2 reasons people do not bring up.

1) Unlike many cheaper brands (VSRF) ER has separate models for RWD and AWD/XDrive. The OEM (and cheaper brands) are used by both RWD & AWD. ER’s RWD Model is larger than the OEM. Larger = more air into turbos which translates to more power and cooler air.

2) ER’s build quality is second to none. There is a thread on the forum showing parts inside the VSRF that impede smooth airflow. While some who do not know what they are talking about claimed this was no big deal, it is and I will give you first hand experience.

The original Vipers (V-10 no turbo) had a two 6” ridged flexible pipe from the front grill forcing air into the engine. While the ridged pipe made it easy to install, it set up severe turbulence in the short pipes. By replacing with rigid, solid pipe, I was able to gain an additional 10HP and smoother performance. Now if it was 10HP on a short 6” straight pipe, imagine the turbulence set up in a pipe where there is a 90 degree bend and an object blocking the flow on a 18” or so pipe.

Think about what Steve Jobs said and did that drove his Techs nuts. He insisted the inside that people didn’t see should be as beautiful as the outside parts.

ER has it right Yes, you can cheap out. But it’s smarter to buy quality.
VRSF has different RWD and AWD Versions actually.
Appreciate 1
n55david1295.50