F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Muffler delete and j pipe impressions
ARMA SPEED

08-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
Min2max
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 m2

Muffler delete and j pipe impressions

So I recently pulled the trigger on a muffler delete, it sounds great at wot but I had a decent amount of drone inside the car, it was kinda annoying on the highway when in eco mode especially when your in between 1k-2k anyways I had it on for a week and I was thinking of putting a resonator on, I called the shop that installed it and he said that most resonators wouldn’t cancel out that low frequency, he suggested a j pipe that he would weld on for 85. Well after the j pipe I noticed a a lot less drone in that same range, it makes cruising on the highway so much better since it isn’t that low ass drone that feels like it shakes the seat, there is still some drone but I would say it got rid of at least 75% of the drone, so I’m very happy with it, anyone with a muffler delete should consider this.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
TSA8151
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min2max View Post
So I recently pulled the trigger on a muffler delete, it sounds great at wot but I had a decent amount of drone inside the car, it was kinda annoying on the highway when in eco mode especially when your in between 1k-2k anyways I had it on for a week and I was thinking of putting a resonator on, I called the shop that installed it and he said that most resonators wouldn’t cancel out that low frequency, he suggested a j pipe that he would weld on for 85. Well after the j pipe I noticed a a lot less drone in that same range, it makes cruising on the highway so much better since it isn’t that low ass drone that feels like it shakes the seat, there is still some drone but I would say it got rid of at least 75% of the drone, so I’m very happy with it, anyone with a muffler delete should consider this.
My muffler delete had a bit of drone, in my case a catless dp fixed that.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
Min2max
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA8151 View Post
Oh damn nice
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 01:14 AM   #4
Jadenkid22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min2max View Post
Nice! Any pics of the J pipe?

Quote:
This doesn't even make sense, a LOUDER exhaust made your drone go away?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

He probably can't hear the drone over the louder tone
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
Min2max
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadenkid22 View Post
Nice! Any pics of the J pipe?

I can take a pic later, I had my resonator deleted a while back so he placed it where the resonator was
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
TF3090
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadenkid22 View Post
Hearing damage?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 12:45 AM   #8
TEST DRYVER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Yeah dude, I don't understand that either. Essentially, you're straight piped, unless you still have your resonator, but even then, you'd be 1 resonator away from being 100% straight piped. Maybe you don't hear drone because your car is so loud that the sounds are no longer distinct enough to separate..? I'm not knocking you bud, I'm just curious to hear what your car sounds like. I would love to hear a sound clip, if it's not too much trouble...
Appreciate 0