F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Got rear ended approx 15 mph
Studio RSR

10-03-2021, 04:16 PM   #1
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Got rear ended approx 15 mph

I was at a red light and saw a lady rolling up and not slowing down appropriately so I let off the brake and rolled forward and absorbed the hit, she was doing approx 20mph and I rolled about 5.
Her insurance accepted 100% claim, I took the car to their network approved body shop locally for a quick "visual inspection".

I'm still waiting for the estimate to post but they should be calling by mid next week. I will be repairing this myself but want to get an idea from anyone here on what an estimated damage total would be before accepting a check, as I've never been in a accident, my dad used to own a body shop and does auto body on side as a hobby, side cash type thing for people he knows, and we will be doing this ourself with everything oem.

Just want to know what to expect and not be hit with some super low offer unknowingly.

Bumper has a few holes from the license plate screws, etc, only visible damage to bumper cover, no other panel. Has some creases on upper part and deformed in a few places, repairing the existing cover is not acceptable to me and hopefully not acceptable to the body shop providing the estimate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Glad you are OK. These minor collisions do happen with drivers increasingly distracted by everything from cell phones to touch-only controls.

The bumper will be replaced and repainted, together with any mounting hardware behind the bumper.

The final bill will most likely range between $2K and $2.5K.

Keep us updated about the repair progress.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #3
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Glad you are OK. These minor collisions do happen with drivers increasingly distracted by everything from cell phones to touch-only controls.

The bumper will be replaced and repainted, together with any mounting hardware behind the bumper.

The final bill will most likely range between $2K and $2.5K.

Keep us updated about the repair progress.
Yup it's one those sh*t happens moments, everyone was ok which is what matters most, thank you for the response and I'll be sure to update
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #4
Oli_e90
Rep
Drives: E90 318d SE Business Edition

were you in neutral or drive when rolling? could be worth taking it to get your gearbox checked if in drive?
'10 - E90 318d SE Business Edition
'06 - E60 530d M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #5
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 435i

Posted this in your other thread but it seems like this is the main one so I'll copy it here:

I would reach out to a dealer's parts department and find out what a replacement bumper cover costs. Labor costs can range anywhere from $70/hr to over $200/hr depending on the shop. I'm not sure how long it would take to replace a bumper cover but I wouldn't expect more than 2.

Given that the speed of the impact is higher than the FMVSS bumper regulations, you'll want to make sure the underlying bumper structure itself is not damaged, not just the bumper cover.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2021, 11:42 PM   #6
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli_e90 View Post
were you in neutral or drive when rolling? could be worth taking it to get your gearbox checked if in drive?
I was in drive, thankfully I reacted to absorb it, the gearbox seems to be just fine, but it's worth looking into or noting.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 11:43 PM   #7
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itogliano View Post
Posted this in your other thread but it seems like this is the main one so I'll copy it here:

I would reach out to a dealer's parts department and find out what a replacement bumper cover costs. Labor costs can range anywhere from $70/hr to over $200/hr depending on the shop. I'm not sure how long it would take to replace a bumper cover but I wouldn't expect more than 2.

Given that the speed of the impact is higher than the FMVSS bumper regulations, you'll want to make sure the underlying bumper structure itself is not damaged, not just the bumper cover.
I'm going to make some phone calls and I'll be out of town with the car this weekend, I may stop in a bmw collision center in the area for an inspection and estimate.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 08:09 AM   #8
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
While the bumper itself might be the only damage, you can't forget the foam material inside the bumper itself which is part of the bumper structure and the impact absorption. If it's cracked or damaged, you'll want to replace that too.

My daughter was re-ended at low speed while sitting at a stop sign in a parking lot. The damage wasn't bad either, but it did crack that styrofoam material and drove up the cost of the repair and made it much more complicated.