F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Help interpreting log and rattle noise
proTUNING Freaks

11-23-2021, 08:14 AM   #1
SuperLomi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Help interpreting log and rattle noise

I finally picked up my MHD license the other day, and took a couple datalogs.

I've been trying to get the car maintained before putting any mods on/tuning.

Disclaimer: this was done in sport mode, with the nannies on. I didn't think to turn those off. Not sure how much that mattered though.

2013 335i M-sport (PWG). Car is basically stock to the best of my knowledge (m-perf. muffler). I've owned the car for about a year. Bought at 45k now at 52k.

93 octane fuel

There are 2 logs. First is a 1-3 pull from a stop, 2nd is a 1-4 pull from a stop.

datazap

Things I am seeing:
1) Boost pressure erratic, not meeting target, and spiking - I did hear my boost control solenoid buzzing the other day. I'm wondering if that could be on the way out, and causing this - at least in part? I have checked for boost leaks and found none.

2) Significant Throttle closures, especially at the tail end of 3rd gear. A few coincide with the overboost, but I'm not sure about this one. 4th gears seems ok?

3) Timing - The log is indicating 15+ degrees advanced timing . MHD app does show a flash count of 3, so maybe someone put a tune on this to advance timing? I'm reading that was a thing at one point? I'm now worried my rattle problem (see below) may be rod bearings from too much timing? No timing corrections during the pulls. I'm wondering if I should flash stage 0 just to be safe.

4) Fuel pressure - Are spikes and dips in fuel pressure at the shift point normal? Otherwise seems on target.

I've been trying to diagnose a rattle noise I hear. I was starting to think this may be wastegate, but now not so sure. More pronounced when the engine is warm. I can get it consistently at very slight throttle at low RPM, and it also seems to come on at high RPM when WOT, or just before shifting with a more aggressive pedal position. Here's a couple videos of the low RPM condition (it's faint, but it's a ra-da-da type noise. It is different from injector noise I'm familiar with):

I am planning an oil change soon, and will inspect and send for analysis. Just waiting for FCP to ship it... Maybe I shouldn't wait, and just save that for the next change.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLomi View Post
I finally picked up my MHD license the other day, and took a couple datalogs.

I've been trying to get the car maintained before putting any mods on/tuning.

Disclaimer: this was done in sport mode, with the nannies on. I didn't think to turn those off. Not sure how much that mattered though.

2013 335i M-sport (PWG). Car is basically stock to the best of my knowledge (m-perf. muffler). I've owned the car for about a year. Bought at 45k now at 52k.

93 octane fuel

There are 2 logs. First is a 1-3 pull from a stop, 2nd is a 1-4 pull from a stop.

datazap

Things I am seeing:
1) Boost pressure erratic, not meeting target, and spiking - I did hear my boost control solenoid buzzing the other day. I'm wondering if that could be on the way out, and causing this - at least in part? I have checked for boost leaks and found none.

2) Significant Throttle closures, especially at the tail end of 3rd gear. A few coincide with the overboost, but I'm not sure about this one. 4th gears seems ok?

3) Timing - The log is indicating 15+ degrees advanced timing . MHD app does show a flash count of 3, so maybe someone put a tune on this to advance timing? I'm reading that was a thing at one point? I'm now worried my rattle problem (see below) may be rod bearings from too much timing? No timing corrections during the pulls. I'm wondering if I should flash stage 0 just to be safe.

4) Fuel pressure - Are spikes and dips in fuel pressure at the shift point normal? Otherwise seems on target.

I've been trying to diagnose a rattle noise I hear. I was starting to think this may be wastegate, but now not so sure. More pronounced when the engine is warm. I can get it consistently at very slight throttle at low RPM, and it also seems to come on at high RPM when WOT, or just before shifting with a more aggressive pedal position. Here's a couple videos of the low RPM condition (it's faint, but it's a ra-da-da type noise. It is different from injector noise I'm familiar with):

I am planning an oil change soon, and will inspect and send for analysis. Just waiting for FCP to ship it... Maybe I shouldn't wait, and just save that for the next change.
1. That's normal when you do a multi gear pull. The reason you are seeing spikes is because you are looking at pre throttle boost and you need to be looking at MAP. I have no idea what you mean by boost control buzzing but i think you are just trying to associate something you heard with what you see in the log.

2. Throttle closures are normal, especially on stock tune, when you are reaching/exceeding boost and load targets. Since you dont have MAP in your logs, you should be looking at load vs target. As you can see, throttle closes to regulate boost (and therefore power/load) when you get to target. Basically, the throttle doesnt need to be open 100% to meet the target load in this case.

3. That's because your boost is low and this is also totally normal on stock tune. As you increase boost you need to decrease timing (especially on pump gas), so tunes running nearly twice as much boost are going to have much lower timing.

4. Normal.

Basically, nothing looks wrong in the log i skimmed though. That's all normal behavior on stock tune. Highly recommend you read my thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732327
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #3
SuperLomi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. I appreciate it the evaluation.

For #1) I heard a constant high pitch noise coming from the solenoid, and google seems to say it may be on the way out. Not consistent, which it why I was suspicious.

Nice to know this looks normal for stock tune. I did see that thread and have been reading through referencing it. It’s a great thread, thank you for putting it together.

Unfortunately I think the noise I’m hearing is rod knock. Decided to go ahead and change the oil today, found some nice sparkly copper pieces in the filter, along with a couple larger shavings. Looks like bearings are in my future. Crossing my fingers the crank isn’t fubar. I’ll probably take it to a shop to formally diagnose before I tear into it.

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by SuperLomi; 11-23-2021 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLomi View Post
Thanks. I appreciate it the evaluation.

For #1) I heard a constant high pitch noise coming from the solenoid, and google seems to say it may be on the way out. Not consistent, which it why I was suspicious.

Nice to know this looks normal for stock tune. I did see that thread and have been reading through referencing it. It’s a great thread, thank you for putting it together.

Unfortunately I think the noise I’m hearing is rod knock. Decided to go ahead and change the oil today, found some nice sparkly copper pieces in the filter, along with a couple larger shavings. Looks like bearings are in my future. Crossing my fingers the crank isn’t fubar. I’ll probably take it to a shop to formally diagnose before I tear into it.

View post on imgur.com
Definitely send a sample in to BlackStone and yeah, don't drive it anymore until diagnosed. Unfortunately you are in the PWG club so its possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 06:23 AM   #5
SuperLomi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Putting this on here mostly just to document my progression on this.

Update: Yesterday I took it to a shop down the street that specializes in BMW, and the owner (I think) and two technicians came out to have a look. Their analysis from listening to it is it's most likely rod knock from a bearing failure.

Discussing the history with them, the technician thinks the most likely cause is botched oil filter housing gasket, where the oil pump was not primed correctly after the install. He specifically pointed to a wire connector on the drivers side of the engine that he indicated at least visually looks to have not ever been touched, and which needs to be unplugged as part of the priming process (fuel injector connection?). I'll need to follow up with the shop to try and find out what procedure they followed.

FWIW the original shop also stripped the oil drain when they did this repair, and a few months after the repair I discovered it was leaking oil from this (thanks for hiding this engine under cover....) and took it back. They repaired with an oversized plug and put fresh oil in. The larger shaving in the image may be aluminum, and possible a shaving from the stripped oil pan (?).

Also sent the oil sample out to Blackstone yesterday.

This repair was done under Carvana warranty, and it seems to have a 12 month/12,000 mile guarantee on the work, so I will be calling up the warranty company after the Holiday, since I'm getting close to the 12 month time frame.

Last edited by SuperLomi; 11-25-2021 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:28 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Dang, well keep us posted.
Appreciate 0