F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Apple car play, BMW trying it on?
ARMA SPEED

02-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #23
apex_crisis_
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

So I got my car last September, didn't bother asking for CarPlay as I didn't have an iPhone and didn't think I will but here we are, 6 months later and I have an iPhone and no option for CarPlay in iDrive.

ConnectedDrive store says it's not available for my car either, will the retrofit work for me?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #24
Abbot26
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

So I purchased from eBay, loaded via usb, all seemed to go well, then I hit a problem, it keeps saying "Apple CarPlay is supported. To use, delete device/vehicle connection and pair again"

I've done that a few times and am getting nowhere, anyone have any ideas or seen this before ?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #25
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbot26 View Post
So I purchased from eBay, loaded via usb, all seemed to go well, then I hit a problem, it keeps saying "Apple CarPlay is supported. To use, delete device/vehicle connection and pair again"

I've done that a few times and am getting nowhere, anyone have any ideas or seen this before ?
At a guess you may need a wifi antenna? Otherwise it must be trying it over BT.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #26
dawal6
Rep
Drives: bmw 340i

i bought off eBay, couldn't get to work, then deleted everything including my phone which was connected before, so the car had 0 phones linked to it, then re-loaded car play and worked fine, not sure if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #27
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Quote:

Delete the phone from the car, then go into carplay in the settings on your phone, it will detect the car from there and follow the instructions.
      02-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #28
Abbot26
Private First Class
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawal6 View Post
i bought off eBay, couldn't get to work, then deleted everything including my phone which was connected before, so the car had 0 phones linked to it, then re-loaded car play and worked fine, not sure if that helps.
Tried that a few times, still same result
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #29
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
At a guess you may need a wifi antenna? Otherwise it must be trying it over BT.
Wireless CarPlay uses BT to start the initial paring/handshake. Once that's done, it's all via the WiFi. I've heard it sometimes works over BT but it's more stable via WiFi.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #30
Abbot26
Private First Class
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzynthe View Post
Delete the phone from the car, then go into carplay in the settings on your phone, it will detect the car from there and follow the instructions.
Nope this didn't work either, this time it said "unable to establish connection"

Perhaps it's all to do with the wi-fi antenna
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #31
Abbot26
Private First Class
Wales
Rep

Guess the parts of the dash need to come out to fit a wifi antenna then ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Wireless CarPlay uses BT to start the initial paring/handshake. Once that's done, it's all via the WiFi. I've heard it sometimes works over BT but it's more stable via WiFi.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #32
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Guess the parts of the dash need to come out to fit a wifi antenna then ?

Quote:
It'll be a £10 eBay WiFi antenna that plugs into the back of your NBT.

Are you sure you don't have one? It'll take less than 10 minutes to pull out the NBT.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:31 AM   #33
Abbot26
Private First Class
Wales
Rep

Quote:
It'll be a £10 eBay WiFi antenna that plugs into the back of your NBT.

Are you sure you don't have one? It'll take less than 10 minutes to pull out the NBT.
I take it NBT is the centre part of the dash ? does the battery need to be disconnected to do this ?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #34
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I take it NBT is the centre part of the dash ? does the battery need to be disconnected to do this ?
No need to disconnect the battery.

The NBT sits behind the radio/heat controls.

You only need Torx screwdriver (sorry can't remember the size). The rest just pulls off.

1. Just pull off the top trim (central vent), be careful as the trim extends to the glovebox + disconnect the 2 cables.
2. Remove the screws that are holding the central controls in place.
3. The NBT will just slide out. Take a look behind. IRRC, the WiFi connector is Burgundy.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #35
Abbot26
Private First Class
Wales
Rep

Quote:
No need to disconnect the battery.

The NBT sits behind the radio/heat controls.

You only need Torx screwdriver (sorry can't remember the size). The rest just pulls off.

1. Just pull off the top trim (central vent), be careful as the trim extends to the glovebox + disconnect the 2 cables.
2. Remove the screws that are holding the central controls in place.
3. The NBT will just slide out. Take a look behind. IRRC, the WiFi connector is Burgundy.
Cheers Kitster, I’ll buy an antenna and give it a shot
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #36
Abbot26
Private First Class
Wales
Rep

Update, bought a WiFi antenna from BMW (£18), fitted and all Woking as it should.

Thanks to all for the help ����
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2019, 03:15 PM   #37
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
It's £295 for a lifetime carplay via the connected drive store. So instead I brought lifetime carplay off eBay for £40.
Exactly, I don’t know why people pay BMW hundreds for Carplay when it’s so cheap from retrofitters!
How can I tell?

Can any of you lovely people tell me if I have a lifetime subscription form this picture please?
Attached Images

02-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #38
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It's £295 for a lifetime carplay via the connected drive store. So instead I brought lifetime carplay off eBay for £40.
Exactly, I don't know why people pay BMW hundreds for Carplay when it's so cheap from retrofitters!
How can I tell?

Can any of you lovely people tell me if I have a lifetime subscription form this picture please?
When did you buy your car out of interest?, if it's before early 2018 then I would keep an eye on that. My car showed "booked" and then changed to expire after three years of the car being registered. I'm still awaiting a reply from the customer complaint line for ConnectedDrive.

Looks like you have the lifetime subscription of CarPlay at the moment.
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      02-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #39
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly, I don't know why people pay BMW hundreds for Carplay when it's so cheap from retrofitters!
How can I tell?

When did you buy your car out of interest?, if it's before early 2018 then I would keep an eye on that. My car showed "booked" and then changed to expire after three years of the car being registered. I'm still awaiting a reply from the customer complaint line for ConnectedDrive.

Looks like you have the lifetime subscription of CarPlay at the moment.
Thank you, it's Oct 2017. I'd be very interested in the outcome.
      02-23-2019, 06:29 AM   #40
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Couple of pointers.

If you are using BimmerCode, coding the HU_NBT will fail because of the USB update, this is due to changes to the ECU signature (Info. directly from the developer).

Solution:

1. VO code the ECU back to default using esys.
2. Make changes to NBT via Bimmercode.
3. Apply Carplay USB.

Or

Buy the Carplay provisioning via ConnectedDrive for £295
I received this from BimmerCode's developer just this morning. I am about to update my existing CarPlay to widescreen and was initially concerned after reading this.

"Hi,
changing the VO will not affect BimmerCode. It is doing changes to the headunit applying USB patches."

Since I am running version P firmware on my 2019 M550i, I think I will be OK. We'll find out soon enough! Maybe it's different if you're having CarPlay activated outright. I already have it.

Last edited by VirtualGuitars; 02-23-2019 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 06:32 AM   #41
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How can I tell?

Lifetime subscriptions to CarPlay is no longer offered on BMW vehicles after model year 2018. This is when they moved to a yearly subscription-based model. I had CarPlay on my 2017 X6 that was lifetime. It's yearly now on my 2019 M550i. Not sure what the hack does as far as that's concerned.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #42
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Lifetime subscriptions to CarPlay is no longer offered on BMW vehicles after model year 2018. This is when they moved to a yearly subscription-based model. I had CarPlay on my 2017 X6 that was lifetime. It's yearly now on my 2019 M550i. Not sure what the hack does as far as that's concerned.
So MY 2017 (67) that shows "Booked" on the portal and also in the car, should mean I have it forever

Thank you
      02-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #43
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
So MY 2017 (67) that shows "Booked" on the portal and also in the car, should mean I have it forever

Thank you
The language is different here in the US, but yes if you have a 2017 it's good for 20 years.
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      02-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #44
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

So here is an update, just got off the phone with BMW complaints, second call after they didn't call back for nearly two weeks.

They say there was an expiration date on it when I was sold it(March 2017). I have read it was early 2018 the change was made, in fact it's all over the net and Bimmerpost.

They say it has always been this way, I asked why this is not on any literature or on my invoice, when all other subscription services are mentioned. They had no answer for that, but still said "you want it, you pay". I said you are miss selling to customers if this is the case and said I'm taking it further out of principle, response: "you can have it for life if you pay"

I HAD IT FOR LIFE ALREADY!

I've emailed TRL as they are blaming him for not telling me at point of sale, the thing is Tony would have told me, if it was a thing at the time, but it wasn't!!!! The paperwork reflects that too.
Appreciate 0