F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Switching from 335i M-sport to an ///M
Studio RSR

03-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #23
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Did you compare cost of insurance? I assume a M would be markedly more expensive to insure.
      03-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #24
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MW F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by daberlin View Post
So as a bit of background, I purchased this 997.2 (911 Carrera) in 2011 as a CPO car sight unseen from a private seller out of state. The 991's had not yet come out. Seller was a Surgeon waiting to take delivery of a new S Class Merc and was sad that his Porsche simply wasn't being used. Low mileage, great price point, hundreds of images, and documentation to boot. I know people talk horror stories of private sales - but this one was as honest and upfront as they come. DME checked out with only a few hundred Rev range 1's which certainly showed a well taken care of vehicle - at least engine wise. The car's exterior condition was perfect 9.5/10.

The car has been super reliable. Porsche dealer (Auto Gallery) performed just about anything I wanted prior to the CPO expiration last year. Adjustments, PDK and Nav Firmware updates, TPMS replacements, etc. Only two things ever needed to be done on the car - HPFP recall, and some A/C vent flap that was 'beginning to show signs of failing'. That's it. 7 year old car. I've had the F30 in the shop for rattles, shakes, and minor issues more times in the first 6 months of ownership than the nearly 5 years I've owned this P-Car.

To answer your question, I would absolutely consider a 991 (or 991.2 now). Same bullet proof reliability as the 997.2 and with an upgraded cabin. Some of the purists don't like how luxurious the 991 cabin is - and I do see their point, but it's the way Porsche is going, so you have to move along. I would absolutely be unafraid of a CPO 991 off-lease or otherwise. The 3.6L and 3.8L engines mated to a 6 speed or PDK have been amazingly reliable. No IMS issues like in the 996's that's for sure.

As a fair assessment, I drove the M3 and M4 and loved them. The only reason why I didn't purchase either over the 335, was because I already owned my 'sports car', and just wanted something with some punch as my DD. I think the key point however, is I would still buy a CPO 991 over a new M3 or M4 any day of the week.

Some would argue that BMWs are great as Porsche, but IMHO, Porsche are in a different league of their own. Although they are two different animals, one just known be better than the other, even compared pound for pound. I would take your 991 over the M3/4 any day of the week.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #25
RacrX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Did you compare cost of insurance? I assume a M would be markedly more expensive to insure.

I did...$140 a year more. Not bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #26
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I am doing this right now. I sold my 335i M Sport in November when I realized I could get stupid good money for my RWD 6 speed (way above book/market value). I ordered a manual M3 which I'll be picking up in Munich in a little less than 3 weeks. I did well enough with the F30 that I could have covered quite a bit of the gap in cost, but that went out the window when I opted for Individual composition.

If you're in a position to do, then DO IT! F80s are outstanding and are in short supply to boot. I think they're going to hold their value very well in the coming years.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #27
daberlin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EBII MPPK/BBK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoua2u View Post
Some would argue that BMWs are great as Porsche, but IMHO, Porsche are in a different league of their own. Although they are two different animals, one just known be better than the other, even compared pound for pound. I would take your 991 over the M3/4 any day of the week.
Absolutely. I would also say BMW's are great. I've had E39's, E46's, now an F30. That E39 I had was a wonderful car, I mean super nice. I'm a big fan of the Werks for sure. However, all being equal, I never had posters of M3's on my bedroom walls wishing one day I'd own one. Can't say the same for the products from Zuffenhausen.
1986 BMW 325e
1971 VW Super Beetle
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #28
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by daberlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoua2u View Post
Absolutely. I would also say BMW's are great. I've had E39's, E46's, now an F30. That E39 I had was a wonderful car, I mean super nice. I'm a big fan of the Werks for sure. However, all being equal, I never had posters of M3's on my bedroom walls wishing one day I'd own one. Can't say the same for the products from Zuffenhausen.
Bingo

http://dizinga.net/products/dreaming...FZQjgQod_SYCMg

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #29
P-Bass
The Ox
Rep
Drives: 2009 Porsche Carrera S Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by daberlin View Post
So as a bit of background, I purchased this 997.2 (911 Carrera) in 2011 as a CPO car sight unseen from a private seller out of state. The 991's had not yet come out. Seller was a Surgeon waiting to take delivery of a new S Class Merc and was sad that his Porsche simply wasn't being used. Low mileage, great price point, hundreds of images, and documentation to boot. I know people talk horror stories of private sales - but this one was as honest and upfront as they come. DME checked out with only a few hundred Rev range 1's which certainly showed a well taken care of vehicle - at least engine wise. The car's exterior condition was perfect 9.5/10.

The car has been super reliable. Porsche dealer (Auto Gallery) performed just about anything I wanted prior to the CPO expiration last year. Adjustments, PDK and Nav Firmware updates, TPMS replacements, etc. Only two things ever needed to be done on the car - HPFP recall, and some A/C vent flap that was 'beginning to show signs of failing'. That's it. 7 year old car. I've had the F30 in the shop for rattles, shakes, and minor issues more times in the first 6 months of ownership than the nearly 5 years I've owned this P-Car.

To answer your question, I would absolutely consider a 991 (or 991.2 now). Same bullet proof reliability as the 997.2 and with an upgraded cabin. Some of the purists don't like how luxurious the 991 cabin is - and I do see their point, but it's the way Porsche is going, so you have to move along. I would absolutely be unafraid of a CPO 991 off-lease or otherwise. The 3.6L and 3.8L engines mated to a 6 speed or PDK have been amazingly reliable. No IMS issues like in the 996's that's for sure.

As a fair assessment, I drove the M3 and M4 and loved them. The only reason why I didn't purchase either over the 335, was because I already owned my 'sports car', and just wanted something with some punch as my DD. I think the key point however, is I would still buy a CPO 991 over a new M3 or M4 any day of the week.

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. They are very well built, and I'll go CPO. I've been searching for a low mileage 991 coupe, manual, PASM. At the current rate of depreciation I think I'll be able to pick one up for around $60K, close to a new M2. I also like the 2012, 997 Black Editions, they're all great cars. I've always wanted one, I think a lot of car guys do, and it's time. I'll test drive the M2 around May and make a decision. Right now it's the 911.
Appreciate 0