F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Driving me nuts!
Extreme Powerhouse

01-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Driving me nuts!

I have an annoying speaker based rattle from the HK centre dash speaker, it is not distortion whilst playing Megadeath, more a resonance on certain pitches, particularly Barbra Streisand and Lisa Stansfield. So Googled and removal of the centre speaker ensemble is easy, 4 x clips.

I know it is a warranty job but, BMW think the whole dash needs to come out. It appears to be impossible to explain that it doesn't, I really don't want my dash removing, as we know, there may well be 1 trillion rattles after that then I will go completely potty.
Does anyone have any experience of this issue, under warranty, what happened?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequin View Post
I have an annoying speaker based rattle from the HK centre dash speaker, it is not distortion whilst playing Megadeath, more a resonance on certain pitches, particularly Barbra Streisand and Lisa Stansfield. So Googled and removal of the centre speaker ensemble is easy, 4 x clips.

I know it is a warranty job but, BMW think the whole dash needs to come out. It appears to be impossible to explain that it doesn't, I really don't want my dash removing, as we know, there may well be 1 trillion rattles after that then I will go completely potty.
I have the same slight rattle under certain conditions and ambient temperatures.
I don't this it's regular enough to warrant BMW going at it and maybe causing more damage or problems, I've been tempted my self but then have never got around to it as I've had worse rattles in cars.
A bit peeved to have it on a BMW though.
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      01-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
I have the HK in my F31 do not have any rattle from the centre speaker. But I know from past cars when I've had rattles with speaker units they have come from the wires vibrating causing a rattling sound might be worth if you can pop the speaker out from the dash to look at the wiring and possibly add some automotive loom tape like this Tesa 15mm 25m Roll Adhesive Wiring Harness Loom Tape https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EVSD5..._fg4pCb4KBCJY9 around them or possibly to where the speaker sits to give a tighter fit by forming a type of tape gasket between the speaker and the dash to prevent rubbing or vibrating.
      01-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:

DON’T let them take the dashboard out.
I’ve only had that experience once, but the dashboard never fitted the way it did before.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
I’ve only had that experience once, but the dashboard never fitted the way it did before.
Thank you, that is my concern, apparently after a 30 minute conversation today, they "have to what the warranty says"!

I can't live with it so a little DIY is in order, thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:22 PM   #6
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I don't have an issue with mine on two cars with HK. I would suggest a DIY. Some 3M foam tape. Or even some sound deadening acoustic tape/sheet. Don't let them take your dash out. I made that mistake with my E92 once there were scratches all over the driver side as they removed it carelessly from the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:52 AM   #7
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

I have had my HK dash speaker replaced twice recently , due to a faulty amp , and it is a 5 min job.

Pop off the cover and remove four screws if both speakers need removed.

From 19:50 -

Kenny
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
Quote:

Could not agree more. The dashboard is unlikely to be same after removal. It happened to my previous 2013 BMW 335i. One rattle was fixed while multiple other rattles surfaces after dashboard reinstallation. Earlier F3x models generated more rattles. My 2017 BMW 440i GC has substantially fewer rattles at 18K miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
....it is not distortion whilst playing Megadeath, more a resonance on certain pitches, particularly Barbra Streisand and Lisa Stansfield.
I think I see your problem right there.
Appreciate 2
Pequin230.00
spansar51.50
      01-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #10
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo67 View Post
I have had my HK dash speaker replaced twice recently , due to a faulty amp , and it is a 5 min job.

Pop off the cover and remove four screws if both speakers need removed.

From 19:50 -

Kenny
Thank you, oddly and rather scarily, I have the exact same clip on my phone and e-mailed it to their service department today.
      02-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #11
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Update

Today I went to my friendly dealership and "explained" that they did not need to remove the dash and that I did not want them to remove the dash, my friendly service Manager spoke to someone behind a closed door, returned and agreed that they would not remove the dash (I will know). I then played a mix of Lisa Stansfield, Steely Dan and Peter Gabriel. I now have a rattily quarterlight tweeter. I have not played any Ariana Grande, do you think that would fix the problem?

Failing that it's booked in for Wednesday, so fingers crossed.

I will report back.

All done, centre speaker and door tweeter replaced.

Centre speaker still rattles, right tweeter is now fine, left tweeter now rattles sigh.

Last edited by Pequin; 02-28-2019 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 03:26 PM   #12
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Car in twice, noise still there, went in today to play some music to their head technician. He agreed, they want the car for a WEEK!!!! apparently they will systematically test each speaker. I can tell them where the rattle/resonance is. I guess they want to get it right, my last visit cost them a set of wipers. Sadly due to the EGR recall, they can't fit me in with a courtesy car until mid March
      03-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #13
DannyT331
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC :)

Is it not mid March now?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #14
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT331 View Post
Is it not mid March now?
It is indeed, I meant May 😦
      03-16-2019, 04:04 AM   #15
DannyT331
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC :)

Quote:
It is indeed, I meant May 😦
That’s a decent wait!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #16
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Ive got this on a few tracks, but usually it manifests itself at 50-75% volume on the knob. I have to get them to fix the squeaky brakes and rattly bootlid first, then will turn to the speakers as is less irritating than the other noises.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #17
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
Ive got this on a few tracks, but usually it manifests itself at 50-75% volume on the knob. I have to get them to fix the squeaky brakes and rattly bootlid first, then will turn to the speakers as is less irritating than the other noises.

Lol, I've had my squeaky door seals fixed this is the only annoyance left now.
      12-13-2019, 07:49 AM   #18
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

OK, after the eight visits to Dick Lovett Bristol I now have my car the way I wanted it 13 months ago,

Total work carried out:
Visit 1 - Centre speaker replaced
Visit 2 - All front speakers replaced
Visit 3 - "It is the HK system"
Visit 4 - All speakers replaced
Visit 5 - All speakers tightened and wiring checked
Visit 6 - All mids and tweeters replaced
Visit 7 - Major oil service completed - No donor car for a like for like test.
Visit 8 - Whole system replaced, along with all wiring, all impedances checked, same HU but every other part is new.

So, after 13 months I now have a system that sounds faultless. No rattles etc.

Thank you DL for never giving up and for putting up with my incessant whinging. I am still a little confused as to the weakest link but all now good - Shout out for Martyn and Steve Adolpho.
      12-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #19
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Quote:
OK, after the eight visits to Dick Lovett Bristol I now have my car the way I wanted it 13 months ago,

Total work carried out:
Visit 8 - Whole system replaced, along with all wiring, all impedances checked, same HU but every other part is new.

Thank you DL for never giving up and for putting up with my incessant whinging. I am still a little confused as to the weakest link but all now good - Shout out for Martyn and Steve Adolpho.
I have had my car nearly two years and the speakers recently seem to have come into their own and sound way way better than they did when they were new.

They say speakers are 'run in' after about 20 hours of use. I dont use my car alot lol.

So I'm sure your system will sound more than perfect in time
      12-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #20
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzynthe View Post
Quote:

Total work carried out:

I have had my car nearly two years and the speakers recently seem to have come into their own and sound way way better than they did when they were new.

They say speakers are 'run in' after about 20 hours of use. I dont use my car alot lol.

So I'm sure your system will sound more than perfect in time
Thank you. 😊