F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 3 Series Fob lost! Suggestions
Extreme Powerhouse

09-06-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
deuscovrigus
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 xi 2016

3 Series Fob lost! Suggestions

Hey there! I currently drive a BMW 320 xi sedan from 2016. I have lost one of my key fobs ( dropped out of pocket while wearing noise cancelling headphones - smart right?)
and the dealer is charging $150 to wipe my backup fob and reprogram it. Is there a way I can do this personally and avoid paying that fee?

Also, ideally I would like to get another fob but again, the price is $330. Is there a way to get a generic one online and program it myself? Any leads on where and how to do this?

Thank you collective brain.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
F80_BK
M3MBER
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 -Yas Marina/Silverstone

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you can find a place online for cheap, its easy to program. The only problem is it can't be a used fob thats been programmed to another car previously. It must be a wiped new/unlocked fob. Then of course you will have to decide if you can live without the spare key inside unless you can find somewhere that can cut it. I researched this all last week because I ran into the same problem, but luckily for me I ended up retracing my steps and somehow ended up finding mine so I never had to go through this.

This is one of the places that sells them and cuts the internal key based on your VIN, but the cost isnt any better than what you were quoted.

http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...bmw-p-329.html
      09-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
F80_BK
M3MBER
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Here's a couple cheaper ones if you can find out how trustworthy this company is. It says they are unlocked so they should be wiped and ready to go

http://www.keylessremotewarehouse.co...2b_c_p1467.htm

http://www.keylessremotewarehouse.co...f2_c_p2184.htm
      09-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
deuscovrigus
Registered
Rep

Hmm thank you for the reply and the links! temporarily, I would like to unprogram my current backup fob and then re-program it such that my lost key doesn't work anymore ( in case it gets into the wrong hands). Is that possible to do on my own? Again, the dealership can do this un-programming and re-programming for the cost of $150.
And how does this "cutting " work? is this physically cutting or is it a term for reprogramming the fob?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
F80_BK
M3MBER
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuscovrigus View Post
Hmm thank you for the reply and the links! temporarily, I would like to unprogram my current backup fob and then re-program it such that my lost key doesn't work anymore ( in case it gets into the wrong hands). Is that possible to do on my own? Again, the dealership can do this un-programming and re-programming for the cost of $150.
And how does this "cutting " work? is this physically cutting or is it a term for reprogramming the fob?
Sorry I don't know of any way to unprogram it yourself. Doesn't mean it cant be done though! And I meant cutting as in physically cutting the metal key thats hidden inside the fob that slides out the bottom, so it still works with your front drivers door lock and your glove box. Just like any other blank key you would need to get cut for a house and what not. This thing...

09-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
deuscovrigus
Registered
Rep

Right i see it now! So the website you suggested asks for the FCC part ID. Is there a video on how to obtain it from the bmw fob I currently have?

Hm even if I get a new key either 3rd party or from the dealership, I wouldn't be comfortable without wiping my current key fob first, since someone could potentially have my lost key.
Appreciate 0