F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Passenger heater/blower direction?
Extreme Powerhouse

04-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
Mottok
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d Xdrive

Passenger heater/blower direction?

Hi, strange question but you know how you can set your heater’s direction to face, body, feet or a combination - today I set the direction to ‘face’ for the drivers side but no matter what I did for the passenger side it only went to body and or feet? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mottok View Post
Hi, strange question but you know how you can set your heater’s direction to face, body, feet or a combination - today I set the direction to ‘face’ for the drivers side but no matter what I did for the passenger side it only went to body and or feet? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Could be as simple as the different parameters for the driver. Driver does get priority in some settings.

Central vent thumbwheel blender position can also make a difference to air flow priority.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
kwak24
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 330D XD M Sport

Quote:

Thanks
That's the way they are.... think it's because the top one is the windscreen de-mist which only the driver needs?
Appreciate 2
dizzy619446.50
      04-02-2018, 03:09 AM   #4
Mottok
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak24 View Post
That's the way they are.... think it's because the top one is the windscreen de-mist which only the driver needs?
May well be the case but never seen that in any other car or previous BM's I don't think? Also, on each button it shows all three blower positions?

I have deleted my profile and played with the dials and nothing changes this, would it be possible for someone to test on their car and let me know what they get please? Maybe worrying for nothing.

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 04:05 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
May well be the case but never seen that in any other car or previous BM's I don't think? Also, on each button it shows all three blower positions?

I have deleted my profile and played with the dials and nothing changes this, would it be possible for someone to test on their car and let me know what they get please? Maybe worrying for nothing.

Many thanks
The driver's side does control the screen venting, so both sides won't ever be equal, how ever you use it, even if you do have buttons with the same pictographs.

Good idea to see what other drivers have experience of in the same model.

By the way, how is it in auto?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 04:15 AM   #6
Mottok
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The driver's side does control the screen venting, so both sides won't ever be equal, how ever you use it, even if you do have buttons with the same pictographs.

Good idea to see what other drivers have experience of in the same model.

By the way, how is it in auto?
Sorry, not sure what you mean by "how is it in auto"? Interested to know what happens for other folks, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 04:20 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, not sure what you mean by "how is it in auto"? Interested to know what happens for other folks, thanks.
When running Auto mode. I've always found climate control works far better in Auto mode and you just let it do its job. Set the temperature to your preference (~20C) and just tune the face vents (thumbwheel) to the desired face flow temperature. Then leave alone.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 04:26 AM   #8
Mottok
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When running Auto mode. I've always found climate control works far better in Auto mode and you just let it do its job. Set the temperature to your preference (~20C) and just tune the face vents (thumbwheel) to the desired face flow temperature. Then leave alone.
Oh I see, yeh that works fine, it did that right after I reset my profile/ I'm just really curious as to if this is an issue or normal now, I'm sure in every other BM I've had I had the option to set the passenger side to clear the screen. For some reason this car does tend to get it's windows steamed up and not in a fun way..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 04:47 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Oh I see, yeh that works fine, it did that right after I reset my profile/ I'm just really curious as to if this is an issue or normal now, I'm sure in every other BM I've had I had the option to set the passenger side to clear the screen. For some reason this car does tend to get it's windows steamed up and not in a fun way..
I take it you are trying to keep the screens clear without the A/C dehumidifying. The HVAC control strategies will do all sorts of strange things with airflows, in an attempt to demist the cabin if you are not in Auto mode. Some functions are still in semi auto mode when using manual settings.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 05:14 AM   #10
Mottok
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I take it you are trying to keep the screens clear without the A/C dehumidifying. The HVAC control strategies will do all sorts of strange things with airflows, in an attempt to demist the cabin if you are not in Auto mode. Some functions are still in semi auto mode when using manual settings.
Yeh I have never switched AC on yet (apart from earlier after I deleted my profile). Just wanted to have gentle airflow to the screen and that's when I noticed the difference between the driver and passenger directional controls..hopefully someone will try it out and let me know what they get..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #11
kwak24
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 330D XD M Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Many thanks
Yes me neither.

You've got me thinking now.... I'm pretty sure my passenger side doesn't have the "up" arrow.... will need to check that but I definitely know you can't have all 3 on at the same time like you can the drivers side.

I know this because it used to bug the life out of me too!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 07:54 AM   #12
Mottok
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes me neither.

You've got me thinking now.... I'm pretty sure my passenger side doesn't have the "up" arrow.... will need to check that but I definitely know you can't have all 3 on at the same time like you can the drivers side.

I know this because it used to bug the life out of me too!
haha - such a stupid thing but it's bugging the hell out of me! Anyone out there, please let us know what yours does! thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #13
savgeax
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport

Passenger side only does face and feet, it does not do windscreen. I can confirm.
Appreciate 1
Mottok54.00
      04-03-2018, 03:09 AM   #14
Mottok
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by savgeax View Post
Passenger side only does face and feet, it does not do windscreen. I can confirm.
Brilliant mate thanks very much for doing that, panic over
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 03:35 AM   #15
Mottok
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hopefully just one last thing on this boring topic, but when you switch the car back on isn't it meant to remember your last heater settings (direction, fan speed etc)? Or has this to be set somewhere? Or coded (hopefully not)?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #16
Mottok
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully just one last thing on this boring topic, but when you switch the car back on isn't it meant to remember your last heater settings (direction, fan speed etc)? Or has this to be set somewhere? Or coded (hopefully not)?

Thanks
Anyone know answer to above? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #17
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

Mine remembers temp, not sure about the fan though.

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #18
Mottok
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdok View Post
Mine remembers temp, not sure about the fan though.
Cheers, yeh think it's the same for me, haven't checked fan but direction sets itself back which is a pain in the ar*e as every time I get in it takes 6 presses to get it back to where I want it!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #19
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

About to go out, ill check and report back in 30mins...

Evdok

Appreciate 1
Mottok54.00
      04-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #20
Mottok
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdok View Post
About to go out, ill check and report back in 30mins...
Cheers, much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #21
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I can confirm all settings stay the same after a 10 min restart.

Evdok

Appreciate 1
Mottok54.00
      04-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #22
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

After a longer period my driver settings always revert to face and feet
Appreciate 0