F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > any f30/320d owners with stage 1 remap for over a year?
Studio RSR

05-27-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
gelogelo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M SPORT

Post any f30/320d owners with stage 1 remap for over a year?

Hello guys been looking into geting my 320d 2013 msport remaped, just wondering what are peoples thought on having their car remapped after a year of use, was it worth it and if there was any extra issues that i should be worry about.

My car currently has around 68k miles and will be doing atleast 380 miles motorway mileage everyweek to get to work and back.

also been thinking about getting it done by JCremaps does anyone have any expirience with this company?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
Jonny853
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320i

I've a 2014 320i and had mine tuned by BW chiptune, this was the second time I had used them, they tune the car individually so not just a generic map

I had mine done about 10months ago and have had no problems, done approx 14k miles and currently sitting on 90k. A mixture of motorway and spirited A roads.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

My 62 plate F30 320D ED (same engine as the standard 320D but 20bhp less) was remapped towards the end of summer last year. It was already on over 100k miles and this was my first remap so I was hesitant to bite the bullet but decided to go for it anyway. When they ran diagnostics beforehand there was a fault with the MAF sensor which I replaced.

I'd just had the EGR cooler recall done by BMW and the remap highlighted an EGR issue as it would jerk/skip between 1500-2000RPM. It's difficult to say whether this was there previously as I hadn't had the car long and then BMW had it for a few weeks for the recall. Pretty sure I got the remap done the day after I got the car back.

If it was there before it wasn't as noticeable but it could have even only started after the recall. After a couple months of living with it I then got the EGR deleted by the same company who did the remap (blanked and ECU reprogrammed) and haven't regretted it ever since!

Got nearly 240bhp and over 480nM on the dyno, really smooth power delivery now and no more EGR issues. Obviously the difference in power is massive, fuel economy has probably stayed around the same since I drive sensibly most of the time, plus I changed alloys from the 16s which were standard on the ED model to staggered 18s which would have effected mpg anyway and I've not had any mechanical issues since. It's not caused any DPF issues either despite me doing lots of short journeys so I'm sure you'll love it on your motorway commute everyday
      05-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #4
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelogelo View Post
Hello guys been looking into geting my 320d 2013 msport remaped, just wondering what are peoples thought on having their car remapped after a year of use, was it worth it and if there was any extra issues that i should be worry about.

My car currently has around 68k miles and will be doing atleast 380 miles motorway mileage everyweek to get to work and back.

also been thinking about getting it done by JCremaps does anyone have any expirience with this company?

Thanks in advance.

I would highly recommend getting it done. My previous E90 320d was remapped by Simon from Emaps and it completely transformed the car. I kept the car for 4 years after it was remapped and it didn’t miss a beat.

My current car (F30 330d) has been remapped for 2 years now and I’ve had no issues at all since getting it done.

The cars actual rolling performance increase is greater on a 320d than it is on the 6 pots as well, so you’ll really notice it if its a decent remap.

Do your research first and go with a tuner with a good rep who knows what he’s doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:14 AM   #5
gelogelo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny853 View Post
I've a 2014 320i and had mine tuned by BW chiptune, this was the second time I had used them, they tune the car individually so not just a generic map

I had mine done about 10months ago and have had no problems, done approx 14k miles and currently sitting on 90k. A mixture of motorway and spirited A roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez_7 View Post
My 62 plate F30 320D ED (same engine as the standard 320D but 20bhp less) was remapped towards the end of summer last year. It was already on over 100k miles and this was my first remap so I was hesitant to bite the bullet but decided to go for it anyway. When they ran diagnostics beforehand there was a fault with the MAF sensor which I replaced.

I'd just had the EGR cooler recall done by BMW and the remap highlighted an EGR issue as it would jerk/skip between 1500-2000RPM. It's difficult to say whether this was there previously as I hadn't had the car long and then BMW had it for a few weeks for the recall. Pretty sure I got the remap done the day after I got the car back.

If it was there before it wasn't as noticeable but it could have even only started after the recall. After a couple months of living with it I then got the EGR deleted by the same company who did the remap (blanked and ECU reprogrammed) and haven't regretted it ever since!

Got nearly 240bhp and over 480nM on the dyno, really smooth power delivery now and no more EGR issues. Obviously the difference in power is massive, fuel economy has probably stayed around the same since I drive sensibly most of the time, plus I changed alloys from the 16s which were standard on the ED model to staggered 18s which would have effected mpg anyway and I've not had any mechanical issues since. It's not caused any DPF issues either despite me doing lots of short journeys so I'm sure you'll love it on your motorway commute everyday
Just looked on the website for recall and it seems mine has a recall aswell .just called bmw and they said only get it looked at if I have egr symptons lol.

Researching now what I kind of egr symptons i need to look out for before i proceed to go for a remap
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:16 AM   #6
gelogelo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
I would highly recommend getting it done. My previous E90 320d was remapped by Simon from Emaps and it completely transformed the car. I kept the car for 4 years after it was remapped and it didn’t miss a beat.

My current car (F30 330d) has been remapped for 2 years now and I’ve had no issues at all since getting it done.

The cars actual rolling performance increase is greater on a 320d than it is on the 6 pots as well, so you’ll really notice it if its a decent remap.

Do your research first and go with a tuner with a good rep who knows what he’s doing.
Thank you, I think i'll give simon a call he is only 10 minutes away from me as per my previous comment I've just checked bmw recall and it seems mine has an egr recall so I will 100% make sure the car is healthy before i remap just incase
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 08:28 AM   #7
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelogelo View Post
Thank you, I think i'll give simon a call he is only 10 minutes away from me as per my previous comment I've just checked bmw recall and it seems mine has an egr recall so I will 100% make sure the car is healthy before i remap just incase
Yeah worth getting that check out of the way first in case they need to change anything and do a sneaky software update as well

Simon will give your car a quick once over and check stuff like the injector correctional values etc before proceeding with the remap. Good guy who knows what he’s doing
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 06:12 PM   #8
OddballJamie
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D

Also looking to remap a 320d, any idea what I should be paying?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 05:37 AM   #9
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

I and a few others on here have the TDI Tuning box and it performs very well. I always avoiding them previously as they were very crude compared to a remap but this 3 channel version is comparable to a remap.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 01:37 PM   #10
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddballJamie View Post
Also looking to remap a 320d, any idea what I should be paying?
It depends, where are you based? Any guy with a laptop will probably do it for around £150. I looked up reputable tuners in my area with a rolling road and paid £250 + VAT which I think was quite reasonable. If you want someone with the best reputation then maybe £400-£500?
      12-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #11
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

One thing I would state is that for a remapped car I certainly wouldn't be sticking to the long life service intervals and instead changing the oil out at a max of every 10k. Same with the gearbox. It's just a little bit extra engine safety when you're putting it beyond its original design spec. That said I certainly wouldn't be put off mapping anything unless it's an engine with a reputation for issues when mapped.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 06:10 PM   #12
OddballJamie
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez_7 View Post
It depends, where are you based? Any guy with a laptop will probably do it for around £150. I looked up reputable tuners in my area with a rolling road and paid £250 + VAT which I think was quite reasonable. If you want someone with the best reputation then maybe £400-£500?
Walsall in West Midlands. Car is stock so don't really need a custom remap but I would prefer to go to someone with a decent reputation.

Had a bluefin on my previous A4 and was happy with that.
Appreciate 0