F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > BMW M Pricing
ARMA SPEED

11-28-2021, 06:07 AM   #67
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M_Sport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
You're paying 8p/kWh for your electricity ?

You're going to be in for a shock (excuse the pun) at some point.
My 12 month fixed tariff with Scottish Power comes to an end 31 Jan 2022 - I currently pay £215pm for gas & electric.

Their best dual fuel fixed rate tariff is £466 per month from 1 Feb 2022

£466 pcm holy moly!!
      12-01-2021, 04:49 PM   #68
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Anyway, we'll be having the battery and solar going 'live' on the 4th December. I'll promise to put up the first 12 months data when it comes through, along with the 12 months prior to that as a fair comparison.
If it's any help of comparison, I've had a 4kw solar PV rig since 2012. I've already had my £7.5k investment paid back in tariff payments, plus loads of free electricity that we use. Up to today it's been completely reliable, and without any maintenance cost. But I guess that the inverter will fail in the next few years.

I get paid approx 26p per kw generated and have been paid £8.5k in those 9 years. The rig has generated 33900 kw (10kw per day) in that time.
But in the UK, for about 4 months of the year, it generates very little. On a cloudy day you get 25% of a sunny day if you're lucky. How this would help charge an EV I'm not sure, as the most it can output to the mains is about 3kw/h, which it does for short periods mostly in the summer.

I've no plans to get an EV - infact I'm seriously thinking about swapping my 7 year old 330d for a newish M4.
      12-01-2021, 05:11 PM   #69
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I agree that for most people the M Lite is perfect. I wouldn't buy a M car for just more performance, rather the improved overall performance driving characteristics. The steering, brakes, body control are in a different league. That often comes at a compromise to everyday benefits such as ride, refinement, economy, which makes them the wrong car for many folk who buy them, but the badge is compelling for many.
I have been telling myself that you only live once, so might as well have a proper set of wheels with an M badge. It's not for the pure performance that I want one - I don't have the ability to start to work a really powerful car on the track, never mind on our pubic roads.

Like yourself, the draw for me is for the driving experience that comes with it. The M4 looks just fabulous - the styling is so attractive. I plan after Christmas to visit the dealers and check out their stock - but last time I showed any interest in buying an M4 they tried to sell me a 440i, and I changed my mind on upgrading.

I feel that I need a day or two with one and see if it's worth the money to me - I'd go for a 2018 ish LCI model if I make that change.