F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Premium Bonds
Studio RSR

12-03-2021, 11:30 AM   #45
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post
Hmm, I'm no FA, but the fund I've been investing in has done 10% growth a year averaged over 10 years.

If you'd put your £50k in there right at the start of the pandemic when the stock market dipped, March 2020, it would be worth 75k now.
True, though apples and oranges really. Anyone holding £50k worth of cash is likely doing so because it's needed in the short term rather than being able to invest and forget for 5 years plus. And with interest rates so poor currently Premium Bonds are as good a place as any to stash it away.
Sure, but Steve has had the money in for 2021 and is looking to keep it in for 2022. Theres a good chance of £5k a year growth there in a good fund.

You won't win a million, but just use £500 of that £10k of growth to buy lottery tickets!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      12-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #46
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Quote:
Sure, but Steve has had the money in for 2021 and is looking to keep it in for 2022. Theres a good chance of £5k a year growth there in a good fund.

You won't win a million, but just use £500 of that £10k of growth to buy lottery tickets!
There's a good chance of it going down £5k in a good fund too! Whilst stocks and shares go up most years, they don't go up all years.

As a general rule, if you're going to need the money within the next 5 years hold in cash. If you can put it away for 5 years plus, invest and forget! Otherwise the volatility can bite you.
Appreciate 3
JustChris17485.50
isleaiw18759.00
      12-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #47
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Hmm, I'm no FA, but the fund I've been investing in has done 10% growth a year averaged over 10 years.

If you'd put your £50k in there right at the start of the pandemic when the stock market dipped, March 2020, it would be worth 75k now.
Perfect 20:20 hindsight must be a wonderful thing. If you'd invested a week before your 'example date', then you'd not be up by 50%, but down by 5-10%

What is it they say about not putting all your eggs in one basket though ?

My overall portfolio includes 2 properties, a considerable amount in major stocks and shares, gilts, corporate bonds, smaller holdings in AIM. Even some in precious metals. One of the most important things is to have diversification in your portfolio.

About the only thing I don't have exposure to is BTC and others - I think they are an absolute ponzi scheme, and a recipe for disaster. When one or two 'influencers' can ramp up or crash the value of an asset with a couple of tweets, then the 'asset' has no real underlying value

The premium bonds are a small part (considerably less than 5%) of my overall long-term finances.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      12-05-2021, 07:52 AM   #48
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Perfect 20:20 hindsight must be a wonderful thing. If you'd invested a week before your 'example date', then you'd not be up by 50%, but down by 5-10%

What is it they say about not putting all your eggs in one basket though ?

My overall portfolio includes 2 properties, a considerable amount in major stocks and shares, gilts, corporate bonds, smaller holdings in AIM. Even some in precious metals. One of the most important things is to have diversification in your portfolio.

About the only thing I don't have exposure to is BTC and others - I think they are an absolute ponzi scheme, and a recipe for disaster. When one or two 'influencers' can ramp up or crash the value of an asset with a couple of tweets, then the 'asset' has no real underlying value

The premium bonds are a small part (considerably less than 5%) of my overall long-term finances.
That is diverse, makes mine sound very backward...... 7 properties, Gold Sovereigns and a 25% share in a small Butchers!!!
Appreciate 0