F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Got pulled over today
Studio RSR

11-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #1
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

Got pulled over today

I was driving through a tunnel this morning with double lines (no switching lanes). I was in the right lane, and immediately outside the tunnel had to take a left exit. As there was a gap between the cars I accelerated ahead of the car in the opposite lane and took the exit. Crossed the double lines a couple of meters before they ended and got pulled over by police behind me. We rolled down the windows and he had a go at me saying something about losing my drivers license. We were blocking two lanes of traffic on a busy road so I was really distracted. He sent me off, I'm hoping with what was just a warning - I assume I'm on camera though. Any idea if cops have to issue the fines on spot or do you think I will be contacted later?

Last edited by winther1; 11-29-2021 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #2
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
I was driving through a tunnel this morning with double lines (no switching lanes). I was in the right lane, and immediately outside the tunnel had to take a left exit. As there was a gap between the cars I accelerated ahead of the car in the opposite lane and took the exit. Crossed the double lines a couple of meters before they ended and got pulled over by police behind me. We rolled down the windows and he had a go at me saying something about losing my drivers license. We were blocking two lanes of traffic on a busy road so I was really distracted. He sent me off, I'm hoping with what was just a warning - I assume I'm on camera though. Any idea if cops have to issue the fines on spot or do you think I will be contacted later?
If it was a traffic car I wouldn't put it past them to get the camera footage - but unlikely given the circumstances.
If it was a patrol car then you'd be fine, they've usually not got cameras and also have actual police work to get on with.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #3
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
If it was a traffic car I wouldn't put it past them to get the camera footage - but unlikely given the circumstances.
If it was a patrol car then you'd be fine, they've usually not got cameras and also have actual police work to get on with.
You dont think traffic cars deal with stuff like cars with drugs markers, cars crossing county lines, cars without insurance, people without licences etc etc

All of which sounds like real police work to me...

(and when I did my driving test a long time ago, solid white line meant no crossing... and I guess their view was "if he doesnt think that rule applies to him, what else does he not bother about?" so they would pull for the misdemeanour and be running checks on car and driver whilst he pulled up. Job jobbed)
Appreciate 3
      11-29-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
You dont think traffic cars deal with stuff like cars with drugs markers, cars crossing county lines, cars without insurance, people without licences etc etc

All of which sounds like real police work to me...

(and when I did my driving test a long time ago, solid white line meant no crossing... and I guess their view was "if he doesnt think that rule applies to him, what else does he not bother about?" so they would pull for the misdemeanour and be running checks on car and driver whilst he pulled up. Job jobbed)
It does. Spending an hour obtaining the camera footage from your car, then using the clunky and not fit for purpose system to issue said ticket alongside your notebook and other paperwork however, does not. Most people would say it's entirely disproportionate to do so, but it is something traffic probably do gleefully.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 10:53 AM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It does. Spending an hour obtaining the camera footage from your car, then using the clunky and not fit for purpose system to issue said ticket alongside your notebook and other paperwork however, does not. Most people would say it's entirely disproportionate to do so, but it is something traffic probably do gleefully.
I must have been lucky then as in my younger days I got pulled twice by "traffic" for doing speeds that were not appropriate given the laws of the land and the worst I got was a fixed penalty (and at least 2 occasions I was doing more like 50% over the limit...)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #6
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
I must have been lucky then as in my younger days I got pulled twice by "traffic" for doing speeds that were not appropriate given the laws of the land and the worst I got was a fixed penalty (and at least 2 occasions I was doing more like 50% over the limit...)
You were 'lucky' to get a ticket? Or do you mean to not get something more serious? Most of the time as long as you weren't driving like a loon and then don't fail the subsequent attitude test, they won't go overboard.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:12 AM   #7
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

just checked the dashcam - it was a dog section car, so guess I'm off the hook.

First time I've been stopped and never got a speeding fine. 3 seconds of knob driving, can be enough though
      11-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #8
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

Was this the Blackwall Tunnel Northbound? That part of the tunnel has a solid SINGLE white line in between the two carriageways. The Southbound has the usual solid double white line.

This is an anomaly, as the Highway Code does not mention this type of road marking, so there would actually appear to be no rule. I think it is used to make you think that you must stay in lane, but given the shape of this tunnel, larger vehicles sometimes do have to change lane to avoid collision with the structure.

I used to use it frequently and always wondered what the rules actually were

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.50...4!8i8192?hl=en

Not mentioned here:
https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/road-markings.html

Anyway you really won't get a ticket. That was just a warning I reckon!

Last edited by DougMcL; 11-29-2021 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:43 AM   #9
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

No lmao they just gave you a slap on the wrist.

You’d know if you were getting prosecuted.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 12:55 PM   #10
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Bloody police officers.

ACAB.
Appreciate 1
simon.922.00
      11-29-2021, 01:18 PM   #11
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Sounds like a telling off.

Just check your mirrors for plod next time you do something like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 01:24 PM   #12
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
just checked the dashcam - it was a dog section car, so guess I'm off the hook.

First time I've been stopped and never got a speeding fine. 3 seconds of knob driving, can be enough though
Dog unit ..must have been some quality driving to rattle him .
You know those times when you see bad driving and you think I just wish I had a blue light...well he did and you know the rest. Probably felt he couldn't ignore it.

You'll be fine.
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      11-29-2021, 02:18 PM   #13
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Bloody police officers.

ACAB.
Blimey that's a blast from the past and only you can actually say that!
I wish there were more police in general so more people could be pulled over and told to stop driving like a n0b as I think that works just as well as points.
Appreciate 3
winther11819.50
      11-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #14
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You were 'lucky' to get a ticket? Or do you mean to not get something more serious? Most of the time as long as you weren't driving like a loon and then don't fail the subsequent attitude test, they won't go overboard.
Yep. He could have argued the first time that I was racing him.... and the second time I was late for a flight and frankly it was obvious!

Lets just say the first one got recorded as 99.8mph and I considered that a win...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:20 PM   #15
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Blimey that's a blast from the past and only you can actually say that!
I wish there were more police in general so more people could be pulled over and told to stop driving like a n0b as I think that works just as well as points.
Indeed - I know I did a naughty pull and don't blame the police for telling me off.
More police can only be a good thing, not just on the roads - people spouting the acab nonsense are all c*nts. Here and in the US
      11-30-2021, 04:19 AM   #16
RatPC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI

That livery also looks like its a BTP Unit rather than a Met unit
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 09:48 AM   #17
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Absolutely - I'd swap camera vans for traffic officers in unmarked cars any day of the week! Trouble is, the former are self-financing courtesy of the fines they generate whereas the latter would probably represent an increase in costs; therefore, it won't happen...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 12:32 PM   #18
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Bloody police officers.

ACAB.
Dog just checking for sausages....
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #19
Samir72
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i

To be honest I really grinds me when people do that move in the black wall tunnel, want to be in the right lane as it moves faster on the approach to the tunnel then move over last sec to make the exit.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 02:08 AM   #20
RatPC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir72 View Post
To be honest I really grinds me when people do that move in the black wall tunnel, want to be in the right lane as it moves faster on the approach to the tunnel then move over last sec to make the exit.
It has been a while since i worked there, but as i recall going Northbound like the OP it used to be solid white line all the way through the tunnel (So Do not Cross / Imagine i am a brick wall) until you come out of the tunnel, just before the entrance to the control room there, where it goes to a broken white line that you can cross, making the exit from lane 2 off towards Canary Wharf technically legal, but not necessarily safe to do as you mention.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 04:58 AM   #21
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir72 View Post
Oh, it wasn't the Blackwall tunnel - it's the underpass just as you arrive at Canary Wharf at the end of A13. Kinda same situation though
      12-01-2021, 05:30 AM   #22
Troopa340i
Troopa
Rep
Drives: F30 340i Shadow Edition

You'll be fine mate, it was just a quick telling off that's all. I've had it happened to me in the past and had all sorts of threats thrown at me.