F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Jaguar Land Rover makes loss as sales slide 13%
Extreme Powerhouse

11-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #23
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

In today's news, they're talking about a £2.5bn plan to reduce costs. Cant see how that wont effect jobs, unless they're grossly inefficient to start with, which is highly unlikely. They employ 40,000 workers in the UK. Its a crying shame but they've got their long-term strategy wrong and you cant do much about that in a hurry, IMO
      11-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #24
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
If you look at the i Pace against the rest of the market. Such as Tesla. i think it could do well.
Good point. They've got ahead of the mainstream game a little bit there.

Hope they do well. As said above, huge employer in this country. We need the likes of JLR, Honda, Toyota, Nissan to do well.
But is what's still a relatively niche vehicle going to generate the revenues needed for the massive investment the car industry needs?

Like I you I really hope they can pull through this and reinvent themselves. We had a Freelander 2 HSE which was a great car and then that got replaced by a first generation XF which was a fantastic car. It was a stunning metallic blue and drove so nicely with the 3.0d engine. When my partner saw it he was like I want that car, don't care how much it costs I want it.

Recently we were in a Jag/LR dealership and saw nothing we liked apart from a top of the range Velar for ridiculous money. Walked out saying oh well..
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #25
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
JLR also has not been helping itself by employing huge numbers of contract staff some on 2/3x that of a fixed position salary all well and good but no where near a sustainable business model. That's before adding non premium build quality cars at premium prices with often woeful aftercare & above average servicing/repair costs. It's a bubble which is only going to burst. But as its such a small part of TATA will they actually give a shit what happens to their pet project who knows.
I'm pretty sure any of company given the choice would employ staff if you could find staff with the experience and niche skill - if you can't find that quickly you'll need to employ contractors that have that experience. You only employ contractors for the short term or can't fill that skill set so I don't think it's primarily by choice!.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #26
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
With Land Rover the Evoque is old now and coming to the end of its life. The Range Rover is getting old now. RR Sport has had its face lift so that's getting towards the end of its life. I think they've fucked up royally with the new Disco. The Velar is very spec dependant in terms of colour and big wheels etc.

There isn't a single Jaguar I'd consider. They've made a major mistake with the XE and XF in how conservative (dull) they are. The E-Pace looks strangely proportioned. The F-Pace is also starting to look old and again needs big wheels, body kit etc to look half decent. The F-Type is way too heavy and expensive.

Doesn't bode well for them I think
Aye, hard to argue with any of this. I would have an F Pace if it was that market of car I was after, it's just gorgeous...but totally agree on the weight I had to check about 5 times it wasn't a type-o. For some reason, never really seemed to come down in price or have better PCP deals.
      11-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #27
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Mini thread jack, but how bad could that news at Bentley be? £137M loss over 9 months isn't great but they are small figures in the car industry...aren't they? Can't keep that up though, pretty certain the new Conti will sell like hot cakes.
      11-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #28
takumichinoku
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Im getting rid of the M3 and have now placed a order for a velar with the full works, dec/jan delivery.

Will let you know how I get on! Won’t be enjoying the infotainment and will miss the M but needs must. It’s just not a comfortable car to be taking my 5 month old around in.

Good spec with the big Diesel engine. Fingers crossed I don’t get reliability issues!
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2018, 02:01 AM   #29
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Mini thread jack, but how bad could that news at Bentley be? £137M loss over 9 months isn't great but they are small figures in the car industry...aren't they? Can't keep that up though, pretty certain the new Conti will sell like hot cakes.
From what I've read Bentley aren't doing great at all. The CEO was fired not long ago and they brought in that guy from JLR to turn it around.

Sales of the Bentayga are on the slide already, which isn't great given its only 2 years old, and the new Continental has had production issues which has really impacted its launch sales.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 03:18 AM   #30
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Quote:
From what I've read Bentley aren't doing great at all. The CEO was fired not long ago and they brought in that guy from JLR to turn it around.

Sales of the Bentayga are on the slide already, which isn't great given its only 2 years old, and the new Continental has had production issues which has really impacted its launch sales.
I'm not a £150-200k car buyer. But if I was, and if I bought into the general image of the car, I could not get past the name. Does anyone actually want to walk into their crowd of peers and say 'Yh, I have a bentayga'. It must kill a percentage of sales stone dead, surely?

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 03:26 AM   #31
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by takumichinoku View Post
Im getting rid of the M3 and have now placed a order for a velar with the full works, dec/jan delivery.

Will let you know how I get on! Won’t be enjoying the infotainment and will miss the M but needs must. It’s just not a comfortable car to be taking my 5 month old around in.

Good spec with the big Diesel engine. Fingers crossed I don’t get reliability issues!
Nice one it's a lovely car, enjoy.
      11-02-2018, 03:27 AM   #32
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Quote:

Agee's. hmm bro in law works there and he's just relocated to be nearer work. Sure he will be fine.

I did see the chief had gone, hadn't read it was a sacking but I guess that makes sense if official or not. All eyes on the conti GT then, unless this flies off the line might be some job losses coming within the quarter.
      11-02-2018, 03:30 AM   #33
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I'm not a £150-200k car buyer. But if I was, and if I bought into the general image of the car, I could not get past the name. Does anyone actually want to walk into their crowd of peers and say 'Yh, I have a bentayga'. It must kill a percentage of sales stone dead, surely?
I think it was the dropping of diesel that has hurt sales as that outsold the petrol when it was launched but then they dropped it for some reason.

I like the Bentayga, not that it helps them sell any...
      11-02-2018, 03:40 AM   #34
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
I think it was the dropping of diesel that has hurt sales as that outsold the petrol when it was launched but then they dropped it for some reason.

I like the Bentayga, not that it helps them sell any...
Ah, I should have read properly. Hadn't realised they dropped the diesel. Yes, that will be a huge blow.

I like it too. If I was loaded AND they badged it with the original concept name (9F) then I would be very tempted with one in a subdued hue and spec. Two massive IFs there

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      11-02-2018, 04:05 AM   #35
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Ah, I should have read properly. Hadn't realised they dropped the diesel. Yes, that will be a huge blow.

I like it too. If I was loaded AND they badged it with the original concept name (9F) then I would be very tempted with one in a subdued hue and spec. Two massive IFs there
That's just in the UK though in terms of sales, they dropped the diesel version in Europe but kept it in other markets like Russia, but I doubt they offered it in the US and Middle east in the first place, it sold 400 units in its first year in the UK.

I think they (VW) are running scared with Porsche and Bentley dropping diesel when it suits the larger models in V8 form, odd decision really but I guess they are going for a petrol then petrol/hybrid then electric strategy across the board and started the cull with the premium low volume stuff first.

But I really do think that the big SUVs will struggle to sell with only petrol engines in the UK.
      12-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #36
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Looks like they’re cutting 5000 jobs next year!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...00-jobs’
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #37
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

And blaming Brexit amongst other things, I notice the Germans aren't laying anyone off....
      12-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #38
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

That's what you get for making unreliable, over-priced cars for conceited tossers. Few sales.

No offence intended to anyone on the Forum
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 3
      12-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #39
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
That's what you get for making unreliable, over-priced cars for conceited tossers. Few sales.

No offence intended to anyone on the Forum
My Dad has a Discovery sport, he’s had the heater matrix replaced twice, second time was out of warranty, and now it’s in for an oil leak between the gearbox and diff!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #40
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
That 70% GFV is a made up number that JLR will be on the hook for, it allows them to offer a cheap monthly without offering an upfront discount.

It has nothing to do with the actual value of a 4 year old velar at trade, they're not selling demand is soft but they either can't or won't offer large discounts so they are pushing that can down the road by underwriting a large GFV.
Can down the road, Theresa must be their CEO!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #41
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
My Dad has a Discovery sport, he’s had the heater matrix replaced twice, second time was out of warranty, and now it’s in for an oil leak between the gearbox and diff!
Pressures on prices and profits, combined with the relentless pace of development to meet (or drive) customer expectations - compromises in the engineering of components and less time for testing ?

My current BMW has been the most unreliable of the (5) 3-series that I've had, but manufacturers like BMW do have big customer bases to spread the losses if a model has problems, and having large numbers of each model on the roads does build brand.

I've hardly seen any XEs or Velar's (2, from memory) on the roads - they don't appear to be selling in decent numbers at all.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #42
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
My Dad has a Discovery sport, he's had the heater matrix replaced twice, second time was out of warranty, and now it's in for an oil leak between the gearbox and diff!
Pressures on prices and profits, combined with the relentless pace of development to meet (or drive) customer expectations - compromises in the engineering of components and less time for testing ?

My current BMW has been the most unreliable of the (5) 3-series that I've had, but manufacturers like BMW do have big customer bases to spread the losses if a model has problems, and having large numbers of each model on the roads does build brand.

I've hardly seen any XEs or Velar's (2, from memory) on the roads - they don't appear to be selling in decent numbers at all.
That's a coincidence, my current car is also the most unreliable of the five 3 Series' i've had too!

All minor niggles though, apart from the squeaky suspension joint I could have carried on with the other faults indefinitely.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #43
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
https://www.tatamotors.com/investors...lease-archive/

Sales up in Europe, UK and North America but down 50% in China, can't really blame that on Brexit!!!

Seriously considering a i-pace
Appreciate 1
MattRST109.50
      12-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #44
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
https://www.tatamotors.com/investors...lease-archive/

Sales up in Europe, UK and North America but down 50% in China, can't really blame that on Brexit!!!

Seriously considering a i-pace
Those are surprising figures!

The i-pace is undoubtedly the best EV available currently, mind you that’s like saying Gonorrhoea is the best VD available!
Appreciate 0