F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 440i GC steering wheel off-center
proTUNING Freaks

05-04-2020, 11:20 PM   #1
gcdude440
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

440i GC steering wheel off-center

I apologize if this is a basic question, but I am new to owning a BMW (used to drive VW) and just want to ask some experts.

I am wondering if it is normal for the steering wheel of a 440i GC to be slightly to the left when driving straight. I have had the wheels aligned 3 times within the last couple of months by different mechanics. None of them seem to think the wheel is really off-center and that the alignment is perfectly fine. Am I just too picky about the position of the wheel or does it sound like something is wrong?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 04:04 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdude440 View Post
I apologize if this is a basic question, but I am new to owning a BMW (used to drive VW) and just want to ask some experts.

I am wondering if it is normal for the steering wheel of a 440i GC to be slightly to the left when driving straight. I have had the wheels aligned 3 times within the last couple of months by different mechanics. None of them seem to think the wheel is really off-center and that the alignment is perfectly fine. Am I just too picky about the position of the wheel or does it sound like something is wrong?
No it is not normal to have an off-set steering wheel, if the alignment is perfectly fine.

When you say "perfectly fine", is that from the printout, and/or when actually driving?

No steering pull, no drift when driving straight on a flat surface? If everything is fine, just the steering wheel slightly off, you can adjust the center position with a tweak to the track rod ends, a "one in, one out" adjustment, by turning identical amounts. Something like a quarter of a turn may be required.

This tweak (done correctly) does not change the geometry, simply adjusts the steering wheel 'center' position. In fact it gives more precision to the SAS (rack mounted steering angle sensor), aligns correctly with the zero position.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:09 AM   #3
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Raise and lower the steering wheel, go drive. You'll be surprised. Well documented on your VW, too.

Doesn't hurt to check tire pressure, too. But you have had alignments. They should center the wheel, and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
gcdude440
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

Do road crowns play any possible part in it? Someone suggested to me that my city's streets are so uneven that it might explain the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
GreyF30
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
No it is not normal to have an off-set steering wheel, if the alignment is perfectly fine.

When you say "perfectly fine", is that from the printout, and/or when actually driving?

No steering pull, no drift when driving straight on a flat surface? If everything is fine, just the steering wheel slightly off, you can adjust the center position with a tweak to the track rod ends, a "one in, one out" adjustment, by turning identical amounts. Something like a quarter of a turn may be required.

This tweak (done correctly) does not change the geometry, simply adjusts the steering wheel 'center' position. In fact it gives more precision to the SAS (rack mounted steering angle sensor), aligns correctly with the zero position.
+1 on this. Had my alignment done a couple of months ago, everything in green, but the wheel was not centered.

Brought mine back to the alignment place, the guy did a quick adjustment to the tie rod (x amount of turn on one side, x amount on the opposite side). Dead center now.

Try to test it in flat surface (parking lot, etc.) so you know it's the crown/imperfection, or the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

I think it's how you sit on during driving. Is your head tilted... just asking

One way to check your steering wheel is to check it with the dashboard. The speedo and tach should alight with the steering wheel... this if the alignment is good.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
I think it's how you sit on during driving. Is your head tilted... just asking

One way to check your steering wheel is to check it with the dashboard. The speedo and tach should alight with the steering wheel... this if the alignment is good.
sarcasm much? lol

Seriously, move the wheel up and down and drive. Enlightenment.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
sarcasm much? lol

Seriously, move the wheel up and down and drive. Enlightenment.
You gotta have fun a little... this quarantine is making me crazy.

I got the same issue as the OP but it is really straight... my cousin, my brother, my friend said so....but it look like 1 degree off to the left...my eyes, my neck, and my head is playing tricks on me
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I got the same issue as the OP but it is really straight... my cousin, my brother, my friend said so....but it look like 1 degree off to the left...my eyes, my neck, and my head is playing tricks on me
Yarp,

Adjust that wheel up and all should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:02 PM   #10
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Quote:

Yarp,

Adjust that wheel up and all should be fine.
I had a problem like that last November. I took advantage of a coupon from BMW of Murrieta and got my wheels aligned. The car was pulling to the right noticeably. The first time at the dealership I was told that the alignment was performed and I went on my way back home. I got on the freeway and it was pulling even more. I called the dealership and went back. They sent me back anyway telling me about road crowning and my front tires were feathering (which was not true at all). I did not receive any detailed paperwork that would explain what the toe, caster, camber and etc. values were before and after the alignment. I asked for the document and my SA told me that he would have to dig through so much but he promised me that I would be getting an email. I went back home and waited for the email and tried to contact him but I did not get a callback or anything. I knew that something was fishy and I took the car to a mechanic friend of mine and he gave me the alignment values. Unsurprisingly, they had only worked on the front axle and the values for the rear axle were out of whack. (I was promised by another dealer before I signed the financing papers that the pulling issue would be resolved free of charge since I mentioned it during the test drive. The only reason I went to another dealership was that they had a coupon online and of course I was rejected when I had taken it back to my original dealership). Long story short, I made another appointment and the SA knew what I was there for. I asked home why I didn't receive any response. He said he was busy and forgot all about it. I showed him the printout and after an hour later my vehicle was tracking dead straight. I also received the paperwork with more details that I would understand. They also suddenly replaced the drive belt tensioner which I had told them about the first time (rattling noise) because they heard the noise as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #11
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdude440 View Post

I would have not thought this, but I've recently seen first hand that tires that are worn, uneven or other issues can cause pulling to one side.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 05:49 PM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
I would have not thought this, but I've recently seen first hand that tires that are worn uneven can cause pulling to one side.
Agree if there is pull or drift, that tires need checking out. Sometimes a simple 'side to side' change will identify a tire wear issue causing a pull.

We need to eliminate any pull issue, (whatever the cause) or camber sensitivity, before making a stand alone steering wheel 'center' adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
I would have not thought this, but I've recently seen first hand that tires that are worn uneven can cause pulling to one side.
Agree if there is pull or drift, that tires need checking out. Sometimes a simple 'side to side' change will identify a tire wear issue causing a pull.

We need to eliminate any pull issue, (whatever the cause) or camber sensitivity, before making a stand alone steering wheel 'center' adjustment.
I had a severe pull to one side for the last 90 days.

Replaced front tires as the right front developed a bubble and then hole in sidewall.

Shockingly, before I even got an alignment, no pull whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 06:44 PM   #14
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I read that OP original post again... I don't think he said the car is pulling to the left like it is an alignment issue. He said the steering wheel is off a little to the left and the car is driving straight.

That's why I commented that his position like is head, body to the center of the seat and steering wheel. It's just your eye playing trick on him
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 07:13 PM   #15
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I read that OP original post again... I don't think he said the car is pulling to the left like it is an alignment issue. He said the steering wheel is off a little to the left and the car is driving straight.

That's why I commented that his position like is head, body to the center of the seat and steering wheel. It's just your eye playing trick on him
If the steering wheel needs to be "left", the car may be pulling to the "right".

Easy check on the steering wheel adjustment, again, common on these german cars for some reason. Maybe even US cars, but I really haven't dabbled there.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:24 PM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So was mine until tires changed.

And fwiw, BMW Dealership said it was an alignment issue during a Fall Tune Up event.
Appreciate 0