F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Rattle help
Extreme Powerhouse

11-30-2021, 02:56 PM   #1
Bmwerspeed123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320ixdrive

Rattle help

I have this rattle noise coming from center dash/passenger side. Sometimes its just hard to tell.
It happens when idle or when slowly down or reversing out. Not on acceleration
Its not the brakes, brakes are new and this noise was before new brakes
Its not the exhaust. Had the exahust checked out and the heatshields are fine and also i glt exhaust welded on now before it was clamped.
Its also not the a/c, this sound happens when a/c is off as well.

While searching i found that the windshield fluid washer reservoir can rattle, anyone expierence this?

Also, I saw that the flapper/pin of wastegate is rusted. Can it be really that loud noise of a wastegate flapper rust being alittle loose?
If anyone had this happen before to their f30 let me know!![IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 10:31 PM   #2
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

Mount for the transfer case can cause it.

Need to replace the rubber mount in that case.

Tcase is also located in that area
      12-05-2021, 03:58 AM   #3
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post

Might be on to something - I too have a this strange metallic rattle that I can't track down, but I remember when I changed out my T case fluid the rubber mount was split and not supporting it as well as it should.

For the OP, you will hear wastegate rattle more when first starting the car. It's a very distinctive sound and will come from in front of you.

The noise I refer to above can be heard from the left had side with the window open, but yours may be worse. The TCase is likely by the glove box on the underside. So if the sound is coming from there it could be it.

Let me know if you ever find it as mine too has this rattle, but mostly on going over very bumpy roads at low speeds 20-30 mph
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 07:44 AM   #4
Bmwerspeed123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320ixdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG330 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post

Might be on to something - I too have a this strange metallic rattle that I can't track down, but I remember when I changed out my T case fluid the rubber mount was split and not supporting it as well as it should.

For the OP, you will hear wastegate rattle more when first starting the car. It's a very distinctive sound and will come from in front of you.

The noise I refer to above can be heard from the left had side with the window open, but yours may be worse. The TCase is likely by the glove box on the underside. So if the sound is coming from there it could be it.

Let me know if you ever find it as mine too has this rattle, but mostly on going over very bumpy roads at low speeds 20-30 mph
My noise is random, sometimes i dont even hear it and sometimes i do even on bump roads sometimes i dont hear it .
Appreciate 0