F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Where can I actually *buy* an M-Sport steering wheel?
ARMA SPEED

11-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #1
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 320i xDrive

Where can I actually *buy* an M-Sport steering wheel?

So bear with me, I've looked what feels like everywhere...I don't know where people get the wheel to retrofit into F30s. Seems like you'd need to source multiple parts from multiple vendors, or order a complete wheel from Latvia on eBay, which is sketchy as hell, considering there are airbags in play.

Do I need to just keep an eye on the forums? I'm not being cheap about it, I just can't find a place to waste $2k upgrading what must be the worst steering wheel I've ever used (base wheel, so skinny and doesn't have thumb-grips lol).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

I've purchased a few items from Latvian sellers on eBay without issues. Have not purchased a steering wheel though. Keep checking the classified section here & on bimmerforums. Good luck!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 02:30 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

My Sport wheel has thumb grips, and those should be easy to find. Wrap it with a Mewant cover and it's plenty fat. You would have to make sure the airbag, switches and trim all fit.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 02:35 PM   #4
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 320i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
My Sport wheel has thumb grips, and those should be easy to find. Wrap it with a Mewant cover and it's plenty fat. You would have to make sure the airbag, switches and trim all fit.
I put a Mewant wrap on my wheel, which doesn't have thumbgrips, and it's better (slightly thicker), but I want to retrofit paddles too.

But yeah, i probably need to find a complete unit.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 08:56 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

We offer the steering wheel (made in the US) w/ airbag cover .. you only need the air bag and you are set

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #6
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

FWIW, M Performance offers upgraded steering wheels for both the round and diamond shaped airbags… So if you don’t already have an M Sport wheel with the round airbag, you can avoid getting a new airbag, but get an upgraded wheel that way too..

Most any BMW Parts shop will have them, search M Performance steering wheels. Here’s one example: https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...b3J5IFBhZ2U%3D
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
You can either source all the many parts yourself by looking on realoem and then hunting them down individually (which will be both time-consuming and expensive), or you can buy a complete wheel (that definitely wasn't stolen) on eBay. It's much easier/cheaper to just buy a complete wheel (they're going for ~$1k). Just make sure it has a dual-stage airbag and the proper options for your car (vibro, heat, paddles, etc.). If you're lucky you might find one on the forum but typically I've noticed that they're usually pretty beat up and worn looking. The ones from Latvia/Lithuania are practically brand new and the leather is in near perfect condition most of the time. If you're worried about the airbag just buy everything but the airbag on ebay and then source the bag yourself elsewhere. I've bought two steering wheels on ebay from european sellers and haven't had any issues with either. Just had to change the steering wheel multi switch (buttons) to the US variant which cost me an extra $150.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2021, 06:10 PM   #8
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
You can either source all the many parts yourself by looking on realoem and then hunting them down individually (which will be both time-consuming and expensive), or you can buy a complete wheel (that definitely wasn't stolen) on eBay. It's much easier/cheaper to just buy a complete wheel (they're going for ~$1k). Just make sure it has a dual-stage airbag and the proper options for your car (vibro, heat, paddles, etc.). If you're lucky you might find one on the forum but typically I've noticed that they're usually pretty beat up and worn looking. The ones from Latvia/Lithuania are practically brand new and the leather is in near perfect condition most of the time. If you're worried about the airbag just buy everything but the airbag on ebay and then source the bag yourself elsewhere. I've bought two steering wheels on ebay from european sellers and haven't had any issues with either. Just had to change the steering wheel multi switch (buttons) to the US variant which cost me an extra $150.
I'd avoid Latvia sets that include the airbag. I bought one and had drivers restraint malfunction errors 3 times a while after pressing the horn (luckily all covered by CPO warranty somehow) before I finally sourced a local airbag and it stopped happening. It's happened to others too.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 11:44 AM   #9
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Latvian airbags. I think youre fishing in muddy waters here. There is gonna be a chance of catching smth stolen. Stick to ebay germany (https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/) - or get the wheel separate and buy airbag from the dealer.

Airbag+wheel is about 2k EUR from dealer I think, at least last time I checked.

I say this about Latvian sourced stuff is that I have a friend in Estonia who along with his 7 neighbours had his car broken in and airbag, wheel and navigation stolen (not a friend of a friend, but someone I know, I have seen pics of the damage, etc). His bill (his insurance bill) was 10k EUR. Plus the whole mess of having it happen to you while you were sound asleep. Not great.

Last edited by Tallest; 11-28-2021 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 03:58 AM   #10
boyerizm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGengarEX View Post
So bear with me, I've looked what feels like everywhere...I don't know where people get the wheel to retrofit into F30s.
I'm going to be selling mine w/o the airbag module. Even comes with CF trim. Hit me up if interested.
Appreciate 0