F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Wireless charger
Extreme Powerhouse

09-27-2019, 05:52 AM   #1
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D F34 Gran Turismo

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know about a product I purchased.

I have been looking for a wireless charger solution for a while for my F31 and finally found one. It's a fair price, the product is reliable and shipping was fast! Came from China to DK in 5 work days ... they are also willing to declare low value so fortunately no extra import costs ...

Link to the website for the 3-series below:

https://www.carqiwireless.com/collec...3207591.8ba46e

If any questions, feel free to ask
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 06:27 AM   #2
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

I'm sure it's been done before but please let us know how the installation goes, with photos if possible!
Mick
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

The only issue I have found with this is you can’t use a thick case due to the lack of space where this is mounted. So if you have a nice protective case it won’t charge.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
Zorn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F36 430i xDrive

My main issue with it is it just seems to be a thick pad on top of the existing car trim, I would love to find one that replaces the existing tray piece and looks more original.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Will be doing the install this weekend so I'll make sure to supply you with additional info as well as photos ...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #6
Skiwil
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i

Did find this the other day.

Really like the look of it, just seems really expnsive for a wireless charger!!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb201603_53
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #7
Zorn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiwil View Post

The one OP posted is much better than this, that one makes it really look like you just stuck some huge aftermarket thing there, not to mention the price.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2019, 04:28 AM   #8
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiwil View Post

I do admit that the price is higher than other units out there but honestly I would rather spend a little more and get something that actually works and doesn't end up frying my phone or worst case creates a complete meltdown that ends up damaging the the wires in the car ...

But I can definitely understand why others would go the cheaper route and the above mentioned risks as it's probably like one in a million odds of that even happening ...

However I'd still recommend this
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 12:50 AM   #9
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Pictures of the installed charger ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 07:43 AM   #10
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorn View Post
My main issue with it is it just seems to be a thick pad on top of the existing car trim, I would love to find one that replaces the existing tray piece and looks more original.

FYI ... this doesn't sit on top of the existing tray - you pull out the tray and clip this unit into the center console, sitting firm in place.
Appreciate 1
Zorn19.50
      09-30-2019, 07:51 AM   #11
Zorn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSTryk View Post
FYI ... this doesn't sit on top of the existing tray - you pull out the tray and clip this unit into the center console, sitting firm in place.
Thank you, and the post-install photos look great! This is a pretty nice solution.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 12:41 AM   #12
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Is it plug-and-play?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #13
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Is it plug-and-play?
Yep.. no coding required.

Power is taken straight from the 12V outlet in the center console between the cup holders .. so it's a matter of unplugging the cable and inserting the harness that comes with the kit ...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #14
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

I should say that if you decide to order this product I actually receive a minor commission if you purchase through this link ...

https://www.carqiwireless.com/?rfsn=3207591.8ba46e
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #15
jkstyle834
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 330e M Package

Wanted to do this, ordered it off ebay for like $30 bucks two months ago. It never came. Got my money back and never looked at it again. But thats a good price for it at that site. Good job.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #16
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstyle834 View Post
Wanted to do this, ordered it off ebay for like $30 bucks two months ago. It never came. Got my money back and never looked at it again. But thats a good price for it at that site. Good job.
I received mine after about a week.. I think it was 6 work days ... I live in Denmark so I'd reckon that's a fair amount from China ...

In comparison I just received an item today that I ordered from China over a month ago ... and tracking on it still says it's in China ... 🥴
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #17
Zorn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not really the same thing..this seems to actually be an online shop that specializes in these mods. When I bought it, they actually emailed me to have me take a quick photo of my console to ensure I was buying the right thing that would fit my car. Had tracking the next day.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 07:20 AM   #18
jkstyle834
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorn View Post
Quote:
Not really the same thing..this seems to actually be an online shop that specializes in these mods. When I bought it, they actually emailed me to have me take a quick photo of my console to ensure I was buying the right thing that would fit my car. Had tracking the next day.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F174005797173

Looks same to me... same brand...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #19
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 428i M-Sport

Quote:
I do admit that the price is higher than other units out there but honestly I would rather spend a little more and get something that actually works and doesn't end up frying my phone or worst case creates a complete meltdown that ends up damaging the the wires in the car ...

But I can definitely understand why others would go the cheaper route and the above mentioned risks as it's probably like one in a million odds of that even happening ...

You are totally right about this, I'm pretty disappointed about OP charger, I bought the same one a few months ago from AliExpress and it is a mess, my iPhone X gets pretty hot using it, so hot that iOS won't charge after 80% when is that hot to protect it, I talk with the seller and he said this is a known issue with the iPhone X (and maybe with all iPhone models?), he said Android devices should work fine.

I wonder if anyone else have the same issue like me? I thought I got a faulty charger but it turns out it is a known issue with all chargers, also my charger use a green light as stand by and orange light when is charging instead of the blue light as stand by and green when is charging from the pictures, I wonder if that is a different version?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #20
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovaciones View Post
Quote:

You are totally right about this, I'm pretty disappointed about OP charger, I bought the same one a few months ago from AliExpress and it is a mess, my iPhone X gets pretty hot using it, so hot that iOS won't charge after 80% when is that hot to protect it, I talk with the seller and he said this is a known issue with the iPhone X (and maybe with all iPhone models?), he said Android devices should work fine.

I wonder if anyone else have the same issue like me? I thought I got a faulty charger but it turns out it is a known issue with all chargers, also my charger use a green light as stand by and orange light when is charging instead of the blue light as stand by and green when is charging from the pictures, I wonder if that is a different version?
Sounds like they be identical in terms of looks but maybe not the hardware inside the charger ? I mean there's only so many ways you can design something that's intended for one spot in the car ... mine has blue Standby light, green when charging and flashing green/red indicating if the phone is placed in a less than ideal way ...

I don't have any issues with neither warmth nor device not charging up to a full 100% ....

I'm guessing that's the difference between buying the cheaper ones off of eBay or AliExpress compared to ones where they have used more reliable components maybe ?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #21
jkstyle834
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovaciones View Post
Quote:

Sounds like they be identical in terms of looks but maybe not the hardware inside the charger ? I mean there's only so many ways you can design something that's intended for one spot in the car ... mine has blue Standby light, green when charging and flashing green/red indicating if the phone is placed in a less than ideal way ...

I don't have any issues with neither warmth nor device not charging up to a full 100% ....

I'm guessing that's the difference between buying the cheaper ones off of eBay or AliExpress compared to ones where they have used more reliable components maybe ?
Im pretty sure the item is the same from the site and ebay. These are oem products, not bmw oem but oem of their own where anyone can buy the rights to sell these with their name on it if they really wanted to. Unless they have exclusivity. I think site is probably just more reliable seller than ebay. Cause i never received my charger. Lol. Price isnt that far off for someone to buy it off the site which looks legit than some random guy from hong kong that you cant communicate with.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #22
Steve67
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3 Series M Sport Shadow

Wireless Chargers

Been using this one. Works well and looks like OEM. Admittedly expensive https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0