F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 2016 LED Headlights retrofit.
GetBMWParts

12-31-2023, 04:40 AM   #287
grahams
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 135i, Clio 172

thanks for all the community support on this. Headlights are in and I was able to code FEM_Body, REM, FLE [43] and FLE [44] with updated VO 552.

As a reminder, my 11/16 United Kingdom build F31 car came with base 5A2 LED headlights which I upgraded to adaptive LED. Real OEM shows the same part number between base and adpative LED which is misleading as this is the replacement part and not what's fitted at factory. I originally intended to use my existing FEM modules but was not able to due to differing HWEL numbers.

I sourced two modules with HW numbers 2FE1 03.01.00, part number was 7444686.
2B8F 03.01.00 would also work as a newer version, part number 7429125

Based LEDs have HW 2FE0 03.01.00 Part number 9477748

Interestingly the weight of the two modules is different indidicating a true difference in hardware.

Couple of issues to log and report
At first one of the new modules wasn't recognised and only FLE 44 would show. I ended up coding FEM REM and FLE 44. Then I switched the modules between left and right headlights and FLE 43 showed, coded. Not sure what happened there but solved.

Second issue was well known "High beam headlight right faliure" followed by adaptive headlight failure. I reseated the connector on top of the highbeam lense, accessible under the round top cap and the issue has now gone. Same as here. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2030492

Now to re-assemble the car!
      01-17-2024, 05:56 AM   #288
grahams
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 135i, Clio 172

Thought I would update this following install and use on mixed country roads and motorway.
Car was originally LED headlight, non-adaptive.
The retrofit was implemented with physical install and update CAFD files put into the FLEs, FEM and REM.

Results were good and a significant improvement over base LED but not perfect.

Occasionally I would be flashed by oncoming traffic and when following cars the high beam would be on and appeared to be partially or completely illuminating the rear of the vehicle in front. The high beam on HBA would be on a lot of the time.
These anti-dazzle high beam (ADHB/AGHB) features looked to not be working perfectly.

At the weekend I did an Istep update on the FEM_body, FEM_GW, REM and FLA. The FLE didn't have an update available.
I-step was updated from 16-11-502 to 23-07-530, taking about 9 minutes.

I-step update has transformed the lights with all anti-dazzle features working perfectly. HBA is used less but when used operates exceptionally well with both ADHB/AGHB and vehicle tunnelling working perfectly.

Summary is that I-step update is a mandatory part of this retro-fit.