F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > On tonight’s episode of "The best car you can buy on CarMax" - Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Studio RSR

01-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

On tonight’s episode of "The best car you can buy on CarMax" - Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Link: http://apexcorner.tumblr.com/post/13...ar-you-can-buy

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Except you can buy a new 15 for that price.

That said, an absolutely bomb-ass car to drive. Unbelievable grip levels.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Except you can buy a new 15 for that price.
No new Z28 model, but I believe I remember reading that the new SS essentially matches it on track. Plus, yeah, it'd be hard to put money in the old model knowing the new one shed so much weight. A new Z28 would be killer, if they build one (it'll almost surely be FI if they do though).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
No new Z28 model, but I believe I remember reading that the new SS essentially matches it on track. Plus, yeah, it'd be hard to put money in the old model knowing the new one shed so much weight. A new Z28 would be killer, if they build one (it'll almost surely be FI if they do though).
you can still find NEW 2015 Z28s for like $20k discounts.....at least you could a few months ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 2015 Sierra HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
you can still find NEW 2015 Z28s for like $20k discounts.....at least you could a few months ago.
Theres two on my local dealers lot marked down 20%
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Idk, z28 is a hell of a tuned chassis, brakes, wheels, tires, suspension, etc... Does a SS really come close?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I work at a GM store, I know there is no 6th Gen Z/28 at the moment. I'm talking about left over 15 MY cars. The right cars could be had for low 50's. Incentives are a little worse now, I believe, but mid-upper 50's is still doable.

And while the new 6th Gen SS is vastly improved, it won't come close to matching the Z on a track.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 10:37 PM   #8
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Idk, z28 is a hell of a tuned chassis, brakes, wheels, tires, suspension, etc... Does a SS really come close?
IMO being a Gen 5 SS owner, the Z28 is a beast. Even if the new Gen 6 Camaro matches or out does the Gen 5 Z28 it cannot out due the fact the Z28 did what it did on a Chassis from pre-2010.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 10:43 PM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I work at a GM store, I know there is no 6th Gen Z/28 at the moment. I'm talking about left over 15 MY cars.
Sorry, I completely misread your post as "16" rather than "15".

Quote:
And while the new 6th Gen SS is vastly improved, it won't come close to matching the Z on a track.
Perhaps not. It may have been a reference instead to the ZL1 - I honestly don't remember.

In any case, as good a car as the Z28 is, even with a $20k discount on an unmolested example, at this point it would still be tough to jump in knowing how good the new chassis is and the potential there waiting to be tapped.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 12:04 AM   #10
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I completely misread your post as "16" rather than "15".

Perhaps not. It may have been a reference instead to the ZL1 - I honestly don't remember.

In any case, as good a car as the Z28 is, even with a $20k discount on an unmolested example, at this point it would still be tough to jump in knowing how good the new chassis is and the potential there waiting to be tapped.
Yeah, the Z28 isn't even close to an SS, in fact, the Z28 has a lower top speed, because it's 100% tuned for the track, downforce, braking, acceleration, etc. Doesn't it have 305s or 315s all around or something like that? Magnetic shocks and super-stiff ant-sways on a super stiff chassis. It also shaves weight everywhere, so it's not like the ZL1 or other incarnations. It was just a tick slower than the GT350R, which is a brand new car and not on the same level as the run-of-the-mill SS.

This isn't meant to diss on the SS, it's a great car, but the Z/28 is to the SS what the Porsche GT3 RS is to the 911. Not for everyone, not that bad as a DD, but meant to squeeze out every bit of performance out of the chassis. This may be a good time to pick one up and it's going to be a competitive car for years to come.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 02:31 AM   #11
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep
Drives: You Insane

Quote:
Yeah, the Z28 isn't even close to an SS, in fact, the Z28 has a lower top speed, because it's 100% tuned for the track, downforce, braking, acceleration, etc. Doesn't it have 305s or 315s all around or something like that? Magnetic shocks and super-stiff ant-sways on a super stiff chassis. It also shaves weight everywhere, so it's not like the ZL1 or other incarnations. It was just a tick slower than the GT350R, which is a brand new car and not on the same level as the run-of-the-mill SS.

This isn't meant to diss on the SS, it's a great car, but the Z/28 is to the SS what the Porsche GT3 RS is to the 911. Not for everyone, not that bad as a DD, but meant to squeeze out every bit of performance out of the chassis. This may be a good time to pick one up and it's going to be a competitive car for years to come.
Z28 doesn't have magnetic shocks, it has inverted spool valve dampers and stiff springs! But ditto on Z28 being solely track focused

This is in Buena Park? Test driving tomorrow
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 07:04 AM   #12
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savory View Post
Z28 doesn't have magnetic shocks, it has inverted spool valve dampers and stiff springs! But ditto on Z28 being solely track focused

This is in Buena Park? Test driving tomorrow
Buy it!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #13
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep

The new SS is coming close to what the 5th gen ZL1 did, yes.

As for the Z/28, if you had a separate set up of rolling stock, you could totally DD it. It's not hard to drive at all. Aside from a stiff ride, and that trademark poor visibility, there's nothing about it that preclude it from being used on the street regularly. Besides, you get used to the (lack of) visibility. I'd love to have one. When used one's come down comfortably into the 40's, I may snatch one up.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #14
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The new SS is coming close to what the 5th gen ZL1 did, yes.
I hope you aren't basing this on 0-60 or some other basic performance stat, because that's not how the Z/28 is "fast". The ZL1 was fast too, an amazing handler for the weight, but much more of a high power GT type than an all out track racer. The new SS is looking amazing, for sure, I've got to keep myself concentrated on buying an airplane and not another car...

Last edited by RM7; 01-09-2016 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right - I know the Z28 is a completely different beast, setup specifically for the track in every way one would think. I also know the new Camaro has been over-achieving in a big way. Sometimes the new generation of a car really amps things up, yielding new performance (if not necessarily driving experience) in surprising ways, like a 991.2 S compared to a 997 GT3. But yeah, I'm sure it must have been the old ZL1 that I had seen mentioned in comparison to the new SS.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #16
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Everything View Post
Buy it!
I'm currently looking for F80s but this is a good bit cheaper. Will report back after the drive!
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #17
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Mark Ruess said if you like the ZL1 you will love the 16 SS. I have the Z/28 and the ZL1. The Z/28 is king.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #18
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
and that trademark poor visibility,
This. I thought the last generation Mustangs were bad, then I sat in a Camaro. It's like looking through tank slits. Turned me off completely.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #19
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hope you aren't basing this on 0-60 or some other basic performance stat, because that's not how the Z/28 is "fast". The ZL1 was fast too, an amazing handler for the weight, but much more of a high power GT type than an all out track racer. The new SS is looking amazing, for sure, I've got to keep myself concentrated on buying an airplane and not another car...
I'm basing on both handling/cornering performance, and it's well-roundedness. And this is in comparison to the ZL1, not the Z/28, which is an altogether different beast.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #20
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep

Just got back from Carmax, again a hassle free experience. Greeted by the friendliest associate who was equally enthusiastic about the Z/28 as I was. Took a step outside and boy was this thing clean. There were scuff marks on the front left between the bumper and fender but otherwise crazy clean. We both commented that the Toyo R888 is probably way cheaper to replace than Trofeo Rs so that's why the car has non-OEM tires. Car even had the wicker bill aero update

Pros: The LS7 sounds godly. The induction noise is mental and the exhaust crackles every time you downshift. The clutch/shifter are well matched and both perfectly weighted. Clutch engagement could be lower but awesome feel. Didn't get to test the handling but the ride was surprisingly compliant (Buena Park has sh*tty roads) and the turn in heading on the on-ramp was crazy. Prodigious grip up front. The powerband, especially in third, is delicious. Torque everywhere. Leftover torque even lol
Cons: Visibility stinks. The brakes are a tad touchy and the braking force when cold was slightly inconsistent. Interior switchgear and fit/finish are rental-grade and the infotainment is laughably old. No HIDs. The car also feels humongous. If I were another 100 lbs heavier it still would not have fit like a glove lol. Overall exceptional car and I was thoroughly impressed. If I find a decent one in black, I think the F80 will have to wait lol.
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #21
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savory View Post
Just got back from Carmax, again a hassle free experience. Greeted by the friendliest associate who was equally enthusiastic about the Z/28 as I was. Took a step outside and boy was this thing clean. There were scuff marks on the front left between the bumper and fender but otherwise crazy clean. We both commented that the Toyo R888 is probably way cheaper to replace than Trofeo Rs so that's why the car has non-OEM tires. Car even had the wicker bill aero update

Pros: The LS7 sounds godly. The induction noise is mental and the exhaust crackles every time you downshift. The clutch/shifter are well matched and both perfectly weighted. Clutch engagement could be lower but awesome feel. Didn't get to test the handling but the ride was surprisingly compliant (Buena Park has sh*tty roads) and the turn in heading on the on-ramp was crazy. Prodigious grip up front. The powerband, especially in third, is delicious. Torque everywhere. Leftover torque even lol
Cons: Visibility stinks. The brakes are a tad touchy and the braking force when cold was slightly inconsistent. Interior switchgear and fit/finish are rental-grade and the infotainment is laughably old. No HIDs. The car also feels humongous. If I were another 100 lbs heavier it still would not have fit like a glove lol. Overall exceptional car and I was thoroughly impressed. If I find a decent one in black, I think the F80 will have to wait lol.
Haha I am going to take ownership of getting someone to go to CarMax!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #22
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Sorry, but I could not live with the looks and that shitty interior -- regardless of how it rides. I just can't get past the looks. I actually think the GT350 looks better.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0