F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Home Radiator Issue
proTUNING Freaks

02-10-2022, 03:43 AM   #1
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
Home Radiator Issue

Hi all,

We had a new combi boiler installed just before Christmas, everything working fine until the weekend. Noticed only two radiators downstairs (closet's to the boiler) would reach full heat, one pipe with the lock valve was hot the TRV out was cold.

Upstairs gets warm no issues. Tried turning off all TRVs in the house other than the one I'm having issues with, also tried spraying the TRV to loosen but noticed no pin. Also tried giving it a tap. Still nothing working.

Pump is open all the way and pressure is 1.3 bar.

Debating do I need to get the boiler company out or is it a radiator issue?
Attached Images

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 04:09 AM   #2
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Does the spring loaded pin in the middle of the valve return when you push it down ?

On mine , if the pin is down the valve is closed , if the pin is fully up then there should be max hot water flow through the rad.

How far up are the pins on the TRV`s on working rads, compared to the troublesome one.

If the valve is knackered it is not too big a job to replace it but the system may need drained down to do so.

K
Appreciate 1
RustyBitz1573.50
      02-10-2022, 04:15 AM   #3
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Have you bleed the radiator to make sure it's not full of air?
Appreciate 1
RustyBitz1573.50
      02-10-2022, 04:34 AM   #4
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
This one TRV (pictured) is the only one we have without a pin, more like a dome. Nothing moves.

All other TRVs have movement. All radiators bleed.

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 04:52 AM   #5
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBitz View Post
This one TRV (pictured) is the only one we have without a pin, more like a dome. Nothing moves.
From what you have said it looks like the "pin" has stuck in the down position , closing off the radiator.

The center pin should push down and spring back up ,they do on ours anyway.

Have you tried gently pulling up the center pin with pliers to try and free it off ?

K
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 05:08 AM   #6
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo67 View Post
Quote:
From what you have said it looks like the "pin" has stuck in the down position , closing off the radiator.

The center pin should push down and spring back up ,they do on ours anyway.

Have you tried gently pulling up the center pin with pliers to try and free it off ?

K
Thanks K,

I have tried but with no joy, gave it a few taps also no joy. Bloody typical. 🤣

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 05:24 AM   #7
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

That doesn't look like a TRV to me. Looks like you have a TRV actuator (the knob bit) on a conventional stop valve. It's difficult to see if there is a diaphragm pin.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 10:51 AM   #8
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Is the valve on the other end of the rad open? We had a similar problem, I closed the valve on every rad in the house (not the trv) then opened the ones that were not heating up by half a turn. They then got hot so I started opening up the valves on the other rads a quarter turn until everything was on.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 10:59 AM   #9
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Isn't it usual to have one rad that isn't on TRV, to help prevent system pressure problems ?

That might explain why this one rad looks different ?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 11:19 AM   #10
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep

Gerry has also got trouble with his Terrier 2 TRV.

K
Appreciate 1
RustyBitz1573.50
      02-10-2022, 11:46 AM   #11
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
That doesn't look like a TRV to me. Looks like you have a TRV actuator (the knob bit) on a conventional stop valve. It's difficult to see if there is a diaphragm pin.
That was my first reaction, but then thought surely not ?...
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 12:01 PM   #12
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
It surely wouldn't surprise me in this house. Two and a half years since we moved in, we are still finding bodge jobs by the previous owners.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 12:02 PM   #13
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Would a TRV head fit onto a standard isolating valve ?

The part the locking ring screws onto is much bigger than the one on the non TRV.

K
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 12:15 PM   #14
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Hi all,

We had a new combi boiler installed just before Christmas, everything working fine until the weekend. Noticed only two radiators downstairs (closet's to the boiler) would reach full heat, one pipe with the lock valve was hot the TRV out was cold.

Upstairs gets warm no issues. Tried turning off all TRVs in the house other than the one I'm having issues with, also tried spraying the TRV to loosen but noticed no pin. Also tried giving it a tap. Still nothing working.

Valve doesn't look stuck to me, and yes it is a TRV valve for sure. Does the pin move freely if you push it up and down, there will be a bit of resistance. Before the radiator stopped working, was it on full? (No. 5 on the trv head)

What boiler have you had installed?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 12:41 PM   #15
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

Valve doesn't look stuck to me, and yes it is a TRV valve for sure. Does the pin move freely if you push it up and down, there will be a bit of resistance. Before the radiator stopped working, was it on full? (No. 5 on the trv head)

What boiler have you had installed?
No movement when you press it, it was on 5 a couple of weeks ago and then reduced to 3.

We had a Viessmann Vitoden 050-W installed.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 01:11 PM   #16
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No movement when you press it, it was on 5 a couple of weeks ago and then reduced to 3.

It's either one of two issues;

1) - Your TRV is stuck. You should be able to push it up and down with a screwdriver. The Pegler ones are pretty firm and it may take a bit of force, but should/will move.

Have you tried running the radiator without the TRV top on? As sometimes the TRV top (Or head) can go fault and close down when it's actually open fully.

2) - It's airlocking, turning off all your other radiators should force it through. Have you turned everything off? The only issue you may have that boiler has a modulating pump, so it maybe modulating down as you close down all the other rads then struggling to force the air lock through.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 01:23 PM   #17
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

It's either one of two issues;

1) - Your TRV is stuck. You should be able to push it up and down with a screwdriver. The Pegler ones are pretty firm and it may take a bit of force, but should/will move.

Have you tried running the radiator without the TRV top on? As sometimes the TRV top (Or head) can go fault and close down when it's actually open fully.

2) - It's airlocking, turning off all your other radiators should force it through. Have you turned everything off? The only issue you may have that boiler has a modulating pump, so it maybe modulating down as you close down all the other rads then struggling to force the air lock through.
Thank you sir,

I will give the two options a go tomorrow morning and let you know.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 01:37 PM   #18
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
... everything working fine until the weekend. Noticed only two radiators downstairs (closet's to the boiler) would reach full heat, one pipe with the lock valve was hot the TRV out was cold.
Have I understood you correctly that the pipe at the lockshield valve end is hot?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:46 AM   #19
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Shouldn't the lockshield valve be on the outgoing and TRV on the incoming?
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 06:05 AM   #20
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
Shouldn't the lockshield valve be on the outgoing and TRV on the incoming?
Doesn't matter. Most valves are bi directional these days.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 08:47 AM   #21
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Quote:
Hi all,
Noticed only two radiators downstairs (closet's to the boiler) would reach full heat, one pipe with the lock valve was hot the TRV out was cold.
The above wording is a little confusing to me - does this mean you have more than 1 radiator not getting hot? As I would guess most houses have more than 3 downstairs rads...

If so, you may also have an issue that your radiators are incorrectly plumbed in 'series' (im no plumber but thats the electrical/engineering term!). Rads should be plumbed in parallel usually using 15mm pipe branched off 22mm primary feed.

I've now owned 2 houses where someone has frigged in a Rad incorrectly. If that happens, a closed TRV or Lockshield will affect your downstream Rads.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 02:03 PM   #22
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
Doesn't matter. Most valves are bi directional these days.
That was the point I was getting to in questioning the OP. There is an arrow cast onto the TRV pipework in the picture pointing into the rad (as I would expect), which would indicate a one way valve would it not?
However the wording the OP used made me think he has the lockshield end pipework hot, which would mean the flow is the wrong way for the TRV.
This can lead to issues I believe, but in any case, if replacing the TRV best to get it the right way for the flow in the system.
Appreciate 0