F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Another F30 N20 Blown Motor Thread :(
proTUNING Freaks

09-19-2020, 08:10 PM   #815
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

Correct me if I am wrong, but this settlement will not cover a preventative change to the new guides; it will only come to effect once I hear the whining sound?

I just hit 80k a week or so ago and the timing change has been on my radar to get changed ideally before 90k miles
      09-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #816
Slick_FThirty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheng89 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but this settlement will not cover a preventative change to the new guides; it will only come to effect once I hear the whining sound?

I just hit 80k a week or so ago and the timing change has been on my radar to get changed ideally before 90k miles
It needs to be diagnosed by a BMW dealer. The only criteria they go for, as published and provided by BMW, is the whining sound.
So when you book it in for timing chain, they just rev the engine a bit and listen.

Dealers apparently are not able to do as many favours because they need to provide videos and pictures to BMW for approval these days proving that the engine/timing chain meets the requirement for replacement.

If you pay them to tear down the engine, then they may also approve replacement if a crack is found in the guide. So if you have an endoscope and can find a crack, pay them the labour and they'll end up replacing it.
      09-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #817
captainplanet
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 2003, e84 x1 2013

I just found this thread and I'm at a decision point. Suggestions are appreciated.

99,900 miles
Jan 2013 production date, so within the 8 year window

We need the car, can't park it until next year and wait. I haven't yet taken it to a bmw dealer to see if it exhibits the issues, but from my ear I can't hear the whine.

It DOES have the shiny rub marks on the timing chain.
The valve cover is leaking oil, so I plan on replacing that anyway.
Two powertrain fault codes this week, P2096 and P0882, likely related to the leaking valve cover I *think*.

Suggestions? We do plan on keeping the car, so getting the chain and guides replaced is in our best interest.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:26 AM   #818
jared21927
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainplanet View Post
I just found this thread and I'm at a decision point. Suggestions are appreciated.

99,900 miles

We need the car, can't park it until next year and wait. I haven't yet taken it to a bmw dealer to see if it exhibits the issues, but from my ear I can't hear the whine.

Two powertrain fault codes this week, P2096 and P0882, likely related to the leaking valve cover I *think*.

Suggestions? We do plan on keeping the car, so getting the chain and guides replaced is in our best interest.

Sounds like you've talked yourself into the best decision for you and your family. Have them look at the guides when replacing the valve cover. At least you have a good way of knowing as they're looking in there anyway.

Another thing to think about, depending on your financial situation, is how much is the cost of repair vs how much you owe. If i drop 2k plus on a timing chain, i'm keeping that car for 5 yrs more than planned. If paid off, maybe you explore the option of selling and getting something else.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #819
captainplanet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared21927 View Post
Sounds like you've talked yourself into the best decision for you and your family. Have them look at the guides when replacing the valve cover. At least you have a good way of knowing as they're looking in there anyway.
I had planned on doing the work myself for the valve cover, but paying a shop for the timing chain.

Reading through the threads, can I still get up to $3k reimbursed for this independent shop work on the chain? I thought I read that once the ratification in early september, any work done (by an independent shop) after that point won't be reimbursed.

The car is currently paid off.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:24 PM   #820
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i xDrive

Quote:

99,900 miles

When you take it in, even though you haven't, I would still tell them you are hearing what sounds like a whining noise sometimes. This way you have a complaint on record that you might be able to use as justification if it ends up failing shortly after the time or mileage period.
      09-21-2020, 06:59 PM   #821
xbmwfan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 528xi

I've read though sjbender's posting of the settlement - as best I could. I don't see what the settlement would be or if my wife's car is covered. She has a 2012 528xi with less than 60K. While 2012 is listed, it says that is it date sensitive. Her car was built in Sept 2011. Is there a place to see this kind of information? Are we as screwed as most of the people here?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 07:13 PM   #822
Slick_FThirty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbmwfan View Post
I've read though sjbender's posting of the settlement - as best I could. I don't see what the settlement would be or if my wife's car is covered. She has a 2012 528xi with less than 60K. While 2012 is listed, it says that is it date sensitive. Her car was built in Sept 2011. Is there a place to see this kind of information? Are we as screwed as most of the people here?
The older F30s are generally not covered, either by time, mileage or both.

For example, I am well below the mileage limit, but the time limit will be reached in the next couple of months, so I'm not really benefiting. The time limit is 8 years from initial purchase and it driving off the lot, not the build date.

Of course, it benefits those with blown motors and who paid significant sums of money to have it replaced (e.g. my dealer said they have done $20k CAD engine swaps).
      09-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #823
houseandtechno
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 528i

After no luck with BMW Goodwill, I need some advising.

My car with a dead engine is now at the indy shop getting an engine swap replacement.

I am leaning towards paying the indy to further open up the failed engine to pinpoint the failures for documentation and evidence. According to settlement case, I would be reimbursed 55% percent of my incurred fees based upon my mileage of ~88K when my engine failed.

What meticulous documentation such as a photos, mechanic notes, etc would I need to make sure I have enough evidence to turn in when the settlement is ready in February?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 08:25 PM   #824
Slick_FThirty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseandtechno View Post

My car with a dead engine is now at the indy shop getting an engine swap replacement.

I am leaning towards paying the indy to further open up the failed engine to pinpoint the failures for documentation and evidence. According to settlement case, I would be reimbursed 55% percent of my incurred fees based upon my mileage of ~88K when my engine failed.

What meticulous documentation such as a photos, mechanic notes, etc would I need to make sure I have enough evidence to turn in when the settlement is ready in February?
While I don't know the full extent of what is required (so continue looking for answers) but my SA said that they submit pictures and/or videos to BMW for approval.

For example, for the Timing Chain, they would need to submit a continuous video that would demonstrate the whining noise. The video also had to include the VIN as part of the rolling video as identification.

I would ask a dealer since they are an independent the same way your are. They are affiliated with BMW more so than us, but they are still a privately owned business. They need to go through hurdles as well to prove, which would probably be similar to what you have to do.
      09-23-2020, 01:28 AM   #825
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbmwfan View Post
Typically the clock starts as soon as the car drives off the dealership lot, so if it was sold in 2013, despite being a 2011 build, the warranty and all related items *should* begin from 2013.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #826
Fliplegend
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

My build date is 3/15....i might as well be in purgatory.
      09-24-2020, 07:30 AM   #827
chrisca70
Rep
Drives: E84 N20B20, E30 M42B18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post
It needs to be diagnosed by a BMW dealer. The only criteria they go for, as published and provided by BMW, is the whining sound.
Can you provide a reference for this? if I want my Indy to do the repair, I have to bring it to the dealer first? Even if BMW pays a percentage of the repair, the Indy will be considerably cheaper...
      09-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #828
Slick_FThirty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisca70 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post
Can you provide a reference for this? if I want my Indy to do the repair, I have to bring it to the dealer first? Even if BMW pays a percentage of the repair, the Indy will be considerably cheaper...
While searching for the doc, I found this other doc that actually details some other items such as reimbursement.

Doc: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...42923-9999.pdf

The reason why I know is because I asked my SA to take pictures and share an explanation of their conclusions. However, they said that they won't provide pictures because all they do is listen to the sound. I thought they would use an endoscope but my dealer said no.
This is further indicated by the fact that when you book it in, they charge one hour. One hour is not enough to tear down the engine. When I asked, they said I would have to pay many hours for a tear down for a better look because I claimed the guides were likely cracked.

If you have an endoscope and find a crack, then it would be worthwhile to pay them to tear it down, because they would replace it due to the crack according to my SA.

Here is the link from BMWTechnician. Look under Procedure. Point 1 describes it.

https://bmwtechnician.com/2017/08/02...-bmw-bulletin/

Edit: the description is actually in both documents. Both describe the noise as the symptom.
      09-24-2020, 10:29 AM   #829
Slick_FThirty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseandtechno View Post

I stumbled upon more info here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...42923-9999.pdf
      09-28-2020, 07:54 PM   #830
chrisca70
Rep
Drives: E84 N20B20, E30 M42B18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheng89 View Post

Have you heard your engine revving between 3000 and 4000 RPM? I just did the test on mine with 85k mi, the whine is there! very clear. I am having it repaired soon at my Indy. Check the videos of bmwtechnician blog, he has several, chances are you have it.

If you read through the settlement document you can have it repaired at an Indy before 02/2021 aprox. and then get reimbursed based on the sliding scale (in your case 55% of the repair will be covered). If you wait until 02/2021 then it must diagnosed and repaired at a BMW dealer, you will be reimbursed 55% as well but you will pay more (i.e stealership prices). To get reimbursed if you bring it to an Indy, the document states you need reasonable proof that you have done your oil changes respecting the recommended intervals, and a receipt from a licensed Indy listing all the BMW OEM parts used. I would also record a rolling video including mileage, VIN and the engine whine for documenting purposes, just in case. Best of luck!

Last edited by chrisca70; 09-28-2020 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2020, 08:59 PM   #831
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i xDrive

I'm trying to get a clear understanding of the whole thing around a year after the official settlement date.

I will hit 8 years at the end of July 2021. I'm only at 53K miles, so will remain well below the 80K threshold. But will my coverage actually end then or am I understanding that I will actually have roughly an extra 7 months with it extending to Feb 2020 (or a year after the final settlement)?
      09-29-2020, 02:01 AM   #832
Slick_FThirty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
I'm trying to get a clear understanding of the whole thing around a year after the official settlement date.

I will hit 8 years at the end of July 2021. I'm only at 53K miles, so will remain well below the 80K threshold. But will my coverage actually end then or am I understanding that I will actually have roughly an extra 7 months with it extending to Feb 2020 (or a year after the final settlement)?
That's right. Regardless of the age of the vehicle, they will be covered on the basis of mileage up to a year after final settlement (it is only preliminary still).
      09-29-2020, 09:10 AM   #833
Solidjake
\_(ツ)_/
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Taking my car to an Indy on the 6th. First service record was just under 8 years ago at the end of October so knock on wood I can get something back.

Apex SM-10/PSS | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust
Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Brakes | Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600
Bootmod3 Stg 1 93 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #834
captainplanet
Rep

I took a few photos of the timing chain and guide while the valve cover gasket was removed. You can clearly see the grooves in the plastic guide from the overhead photo.

Does anyone see anything concerning with the amount of slack in the chain?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sspade980.00

09-30-2020, 11:52 AM   #835
Slick_FThirty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I took a few photos of the timing chain and guide while the valve cover gasket was removed. You can clearly see the grooves in the plastic guide from the overhead photo.

Does anyone see anything concerning with the amount of slack in the chain?
If the tensioner is fully extended and it's still like that, then I would say yes.

If the tensioner is not fully extended than maybe not. Oil pressure when the engine is started adjusts the tensioner and chain.

Mine is generally very snug, even when off.

In conclusion, I would say yes, but may require more info.

I would imagine that problems would result if the chain is too loose on startup as well, even if it does end up becoming snug. It could still jump a sprocket.

These chains extend as one cause of the lead up to failure.
Hope that helps.
      09-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #836
BWbimmer
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E46, E46 Compact, E36

Garage List
Get a reading of your errorlog. If you can see miss fires or cam shaft sensor errors then this can be an indicator that the timing is already that far off that the chain is clearly too long. It's a bit like the old N42 N46 engines.

Respekt for such a clean engine.

Last edited by BWbimmer; 09-30-2020 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 2