F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d f30 3k miles. Highs and lows.
Studio RSR

02-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #45
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

/\ You make a lot of sense. I tried a number of cars before making my decision but it all came down to me wanting a 3 series. I tried the 5's. They are lovely but they are a bit too big (imo) and for the engine/spec I wanted they were way outside of reach.

The fast A4's weren't really fast enough of they were RS4s and I couldnt go that far.

I think the 3 series is a jack of all trades. It covers "poverty spec" up to "top spec" and has engines in between. Lots of cars out their are base spec + 335D OR high spec + 330D. It seems that someone always wants to scrimp somewhere which is fine.

I've got a 10 year old "top of the range" Volvo V50 as a second car and honestly I think it is quieter at speed than the 335D I had for a test drive a few weeks back. Totally different drive though!

I need to do some more motorway miles in mine to decide when it comes to tyres if I want to swap the 19 RFT's to normal rubber. Cost is one thing, noise is another. I've honestly not done enough distance to make my mind up on that yet but I always knew it was going to be a bit noisier due to the tyre choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #46
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-TR4 View Post
Handling? Pretty much the worst handling car I've owned, thank goodness I bought it for the engine/gearbox/awd
Golf and Aldi are markedly worse IMHO. When I've had the 335d on track - wet or dry - it's been unbelievably easy to place, and while not the best handling car I've driven, at least I know what the front and rear are about to do.

Maybe it's a turn the DSC properly off moment? That weights up the steering nicely and stops electronic interference - though sport + achieves almost the same.

The 335d touring is also faster than a coxster S according to autocar - this really annoys the pork people!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #47
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxi2k View Post
Had the correct research been done, it would seem the OP would have preferred a lower engine point and higher trim, ie a 5 series with less power. 0-60 probably looked appealing and expected the cabin to be the same, it isn't and this whole thread of "disappointed in a 3 series" would have been avoided, again, had a test drive or some basic research been completed.
Ok, given I've been disappointed with the chassis on my F31 - and have said so on more than occasion - I'll bite on this!

When I was looking to buy (summer of 2014) there were no 335d's available to test drive at any of the dealers local to me. I did however manage to test drive a 330d X-Drive back to back with a 435i M-Sport coupe (both on 19" wheels, both on passive suspension as finding an X-drive demo with adaptive was also impossible). My conclusion was that the standard X-drive was too soft for my taste but the salesman assured me that with adaptive in Sport mode it would drive in a similar way to the 435i (which felt fine to me). On that basis I ordered my 335d with adaptive and, while it's better than standard, even in Sport mode I still thinks it leaves something to be desired on a twisty road. However, as I now spend a relatively low proportion of my time on those roads I've chosen to live with it and not go the ACS springs route or similar.

Therefore, I think I've every right to voice an opinion that the chassis falls short of what you expect from an M-Sport BMW and in the circumstances I think I did do a reasonable amount of research and test driving. Perhaps with the wisdom of hindsight I should have held-out for a test in a 335d with adaptive - and not been influenced quite so much by the salesman - but I certainly didn't purchase without doing any homework. Actually, I reckon I probably did more than most and - chassis aside - I'm quite happy with the car and don't really agree with some of the criticism that's being levelled by others.

However, I don't agree with your inference that anyone who's unhappy with their car simply didn't do enough research. Sometimes it might be as simple as that but sometimes you can do what believe to be a reasonable amount of research and homework and still not end-up with quite what you were hoping for (or indeed expecting from an M-sport BMW!).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #48
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
However, I don't agree with your inference that anyone who's unhappy with their car simply didn't do enough research. Sometimes it might be as simple as that but sometimes you can do what believe to be a reasonable amount of research and homework and still not end-up with quite what you were hoping for (or indeed expecting from an M-sport BMW!).
+1
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #49
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlees View Post
When I've had the 335d on track....

The 335d touring is also faster than a coxster S according to autocar
Which track is a 335d Touring faster round than a Boxster then? None would be my guess (unless you count a run at Santa Pod in the wet!).

It might be quicker 0-60 thanks to the traction off the line but on a twisty, undulating, road I doubt an F31 335d would get anywhere near a well driven Boxster (and even if it did it certainly wouldn't be as much fun).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #50
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Not surprised given the smaller engine.
True.

Msport Tourings RRPs: 335d £43.7K, 520d £41K, 530d £50.3K...

I'd guess a 530d would be rather lovely.
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription Pro
2003 Honda S2000
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:27 PM   #51
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
True.

Msport Tourings RRPs: 335d £43.7K, 520d £41K, 530d £50.3K...

I'd guess a 530d would be rather lovely.
I found it a big, dull barge and pretty slow compared to a 335d.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #52
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
I found it a big, dull barge and pretty slow compared to a 335d.
Are you comparing a 520D to a 335D
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #53
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Are you comparing a 520D to a 335D
530d
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #54
Im1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 520d se

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelowkick View Post
Hi all,

I guess i just wanted to share my thoughts after doing first 3k miles on my 335d. Not a write up but I have few things I hate about it that I wanted to share and see if someone address these before.
I am coming directly from a mapped f11 530d, which was simply amazing.

Love: engine and size.

Hate: see below.

Noise. Noise is everywhere and at any speed. Ok, I am still on run flat Goodyears that came with the car from BMW. I think they are sh** but at least they handle a bit better than the rft potenza's they used to fit in.
But it's not only about the road feedback, it's about the noise everywhere.
I guess it's down to the fact that f11 is sound proofed properly. Even going to a car wash is an experience, sounds like everything is about to fall apart.
I am annoyed with this so much that i am actually thinking of doing an aftermarket sound deadening. Wind noise is very pronounced as well. I cannot imagine having a conversation in the car doing over 100mph (in Germany obv.)
Next - trim squeaks. Passenger door trim makes weird noises when cornering. Really BMW? 6 months old car?

Quality of interior.
Going from 5 series I guess I should expect a little drop but sweet Christ, it's like going from Merc to VW. Poor quality plastic galore. It doesn't feel like one step drop from f11 - more like 2 or 3. Soooo disappointing.

I have a red coral leather with piano black trim - No, I didn't spec it this way;-)
The more I drive it, the cheaper it feels. Was thinking of going MPreformance trim route but I don't think it will solve the problem.

I think if not 20 months of pcp left, I would consider changing the car.

Anyone of you people had similar experience and if so, how did you address these?
Many thanks.

A.
You can't address this but after market sound deadening . You need to go back to a 5 series . The engine is great but you can't enjoy cruising at high speed because of the wind noise
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #55
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxi2k View Post
Had the correct research been done, it would seem the OP would have preferred a lower engine point and higher trim, ie a 5 series with less power. 0-60 probably looked appealing and expected the cabin to be the same, it isn't and this whole thread of "disappointed in a 3 series" would have been avoided, again, had a test drive or some basic research been completed.
Ok, given I've been disappointed with the chassis on my F31 - and have said so on more than occasion - I'll bite on this!

When I was looking to buy (summer of 2014) there were no 335d's available to test drive at any of the dealers local to me. I did however manage to test drive a 330d X-Drive back to back with a 435i M-Sport coupe (both on 19" wheels, both on passive suspension as finding an X-drive demo with adaptive was also impossible). My conclusion was that the standard X-drive was too soft for my taste but the salesman assured me that with adaptive in Sport mode it would drive in a similar way to the 435i (which felt fine to me). On that basis I ordered my 335d with adaptive and, while it's better than standard, even in Sport mode I still thinks it leaves something to be desired on a twisty road. However, as I now spend a relatively low proportion of my time on those roads I've chosen to live with it and not go the ACS springs route or similar.

Therefore, I think I've every right to voice an opinion that the chassis falls short of what you expect from an M-Sport BMW and in the circumstances I think I did do a reasonable amount of research and test driving. Perhaps with the wisdom of hindsight I should have held-out for a test in a 335d with adaptive - and not been influenced quite so much by the salesman - but I certainly didn't purchase without doing any homework. Actually, I reckon I probably did more than most and - chassis aside - I'm quite happy with the car and don't really agree with some of the criticism that's being levelled by others.

You obviously didn't not fall into the previous statement of making unrealistic comparisons on a car that could be reasonably found out otherwise. You were assured of something in the car you purchased and it fell short, so complain away my friend!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #56
simnew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GranCoupe MSport

Interesting article in that I have just bought another 4 series having had my 430dx Msport for 3 years and to be honest, the road noise is not bad on motorways unless they are really really coarse. Also I don't notice wind noise at high speed either.... Did I get lucky ?

Goodyear Eagle F1's are much better for road noise than Bridgestone or Pirelli PZero in my experience...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #57
tjlees
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Which track is a 335d Touring faster round than a Boxster then? None would be my guess (unless you count a run at Santa Pod in the wet!).

It might be quicker 0-60 thanks to the traction off the line but on a twisty, undulating, road I doubt an F31 335d would get anywhere near a well driven Boxster (and even if it did it certainly wouldn't be as much fun).
yep that's what i'd believe as well ... but a 330d touring actually stops quicker, grips better and is quicker on the autocar handling circuit wet or dry (see autocar 27 Jun 2012 & 21 Nov 2012) - that's a 1735kg (as tested) RWD car!

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #58
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

I went from an F10 530d M Sport saloon to my current and the difference in refinement, in all areas, is significant. The F10 was sublime compared to my busy F31; ride, noise and cockpit feel. My current car is good, but it’s just not as refined as I’d like it to be. I won’t be getting another 3 series, or even a 4 series as I feel they are just too main-stream! Once you get used to the refinement of a 5 it’s hard to settle for less.

I did test drive a 335d prior to buying one, but it’s easy to get distracted by other things on a test drive. I won’t make the same mistake next time.
Appreciate 1
JLR19691882.00
      02-22-2018, 02:33 AM   #59
Oompah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux700 View Post
I went from an F10 530d M Sport saloon to my current and the difference in refinement, in all areas, is significant. The F10 was sublime compared to my busy F31; ride, noise and cockpit feel. My current car is good, but it’s just not as refined as I’d like it to be. I won’t be getting another 3 series, or even a 4 series as I feel they are just too main-stream! Once you get used to the refinement of a 5 it’s hard to settle for less.

I did test drive a 335d prior to buying one, but it’s easy to get distracted by other things on a test drive. I won’t make the same mistake next time.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #60
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Disagree - I have a VW Golf - the interior of the f30 is actually worse than the Golf!

The LCI is slightly better - but you need to spec merino seats and dash (~£2k option)

Looks, Tech, handling and performance is where they spent the money - they ran out when it came sound deadening and interior finish - or they a did this deliberately for f10 and f30 separation.
I'd have to go the other way on this...I jump between my F30 and the wife's GTD and the F30 is a far nicer place to sit. Granted the Golf has cloth seats, but other than the upper dash area there's a lot of hard plastic around. The discover pro nav touchscreen is also laughable. Steering wheel is very nice though and VW have largely done well to up-spec the areas you touch.

All that being said, the GTD is at a lower price-point and far closer in terms of quality than it ought to be! It also handles better out of the box, which others have already picked up on. Damping especially seems far more suited to our roads.
      02-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #61
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
yep that's what i'd believe as well ... but a 330d touring actually stops quicker, grips better and is quicker on the autocar handling circuit wet or dry (see autocar 27 Jun 2012 & 21 Nov 2012) - that's a 1735kg (as tested) RWD car!

So if a 330d Touring grips and stops better than a Boxster S you'd think that would translate to better lap times round a track - I'd therefore be interested to see if there are any tests in similar conditions which show that to the case? I'm still leaning towards "no there aren't" and if those headline numbers are true it probably just goes to prove there are indeed lies, damn lies and statistics!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #62
tjlees
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So if a 330d Touring grips and stops better than a Boxster S you'd think that would translate to better lap times round a track - I'd therefore be interested to see if there are any tests in similar conditions which show that to the case? I'm still leaning towards "no there aren't" and if those headline numbers are true it probably just goes to prove there are indeed lies, damn lies and statistics!
Nope - as stated by by autocar it's faster on track in test conditions - this is a 330d touring not the 335d.

For the weekend I'm still a Porsche fan - but it just shows how good the 335d is
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #63
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

Wow! Really the 330d is faster around the track than a Boxster S? I'm gobsmacked. And I've owned both!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 02:42 PM   #64
tjlees
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
Wow! Really the 330d is faster around the track than a Boxster S? I'm gobsmacked. And I've owned both!
a 335d would murder a coxster in the wet ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #65
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

Why do you insist on calling it a 'coxster'? It's not even mildly amusing. I suspect you call Audis Aldis too.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #66
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

Quote:
a 335d would murder a coxster in the wet ...
But I'm sure neither of them would in the dry... I've driven a Boxster on the track. No way could I keep up in a 330d. Boxster was keeping up with 911 GT3, but then that's a lard arse...
Appreciate 0