F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bimmercode update - BEWARE
Extreme Powerhouse

09-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Bimmercode update - BEWARE

Now I'm not saying it's buggy, I may have just had bad luck but.....

I went back into tweaking the car as there was a known bug with the last version of Bimmercode which stopped it reading the tailgate module, the update came through last night so I thought I'd go for it tonight and sort the tailgate open / close from switch in drivers footwell.
I haven't done that because I'm not sure which switch I should enable, it's not clear.
So I thought I'd change the sounds back to BMW and enable video from USB while it was all plugged in....
Everything went OK and it said it was complete...

However, checking the car out I've lost the mirror tilt on reverse function (it says enabled), and the maps is asking for an activation code by USB before it'll load. Bugger.

Looks like I'm off to the dealers tomorrow to get the software flashed back to stock
      09-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
Iyrix
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d & 335i

Can you restore your backup?

Also, have you reported it to bimmercode?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #3
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep

I did restore the backup, to try to get the mirror back, that's when I lost the maps, and still didn't get the mirror
I'm in the process of emailing the developer now, but I doubt there's anything they'll be able to do other than say do a restore again. Which I tried already
      09-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep

Similar to this thread but I didn't get a coding failed message so not sure what's happened....
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1437084

I'm assuming Bimmercode guy is going to say the same to me as he said to the other guy, "see dealer, known problem" LOL
      09-19-2018, 05:42 AM   #5
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
I went back into tweaking the car as there was a known bug with the last version of Bimmercode which stopped it reading the tailgate module, the update came through last night so I thought I'd go for it tonight and sort the tailgate open / close from switch in drivers footwell.
I haven't done that because I'm not sure which switch I should enable, it's not clear.
I had the exact same challange with not being able to read the Tailgate module, which was confirmed to be known by Bimmercode. I have been waiting for the update ever since. It still does not show in my AppStore (Apple). Are you using android?

Why were you not able to code the footwell switch?
      09-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I haven't had an update for the BimmerCode app since I installed it a few weeks ago! :
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I haven't had an update for the BimmerCode app since I installed it a few weeks ago! :
On my Android Settings/Apps/Bimmercode it shows version 1.17.0-3110. As I recall it updated in the past 5 days.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

I don't think the iOS version has been released yet as iOS 12 has just been released.

So maybe checking compatibility.

This is only a guess though.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheSea View Post
On my Android Settings/Apps/Bimmercode it shows version 1.17.0-3110. As I recall it updated in the past 5 days.
Ah ok, i’m iOS.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #10
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmith2939 View Post
I don't think the iOS version has been released yet as iOS 12 has just been released.

So maybe checking compatibility.

This is only a guess though.
iOS BimmerCode was last updated on 26th July
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #11
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
Now I'm not saying it's buggy, I may have just had bad luck but.....

So I thought I'd change the sounds back to BMW and enable video from USB while it was all plugged in....
Everything went OK and it said it was complete...

However, checking the car out I've lost the mirror tilt on reverse function (it says enabled), and the maps is asking for an activation code by USB before it'll load. Bugger.

Looks like I'm off to the dealers tomorrow to get the software flashed back to stock
What version of Bimmercode do you have on your phone, I tried my app out today and it said there was an update however luckily after reading this post I declined the update. I have in the past changed several settings start logo etc and have had no problems, it maybe the new update has caused this can you please give the version number you have as it may stop people updating to the newest version providing they read this post beforehand mine is Version 1.17.0.3110 and have not encountered any problems but as I say it wants to install upgrade which I am not allowing after seeing this post
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #12
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryg View Post
What version of Bimmercode do you have on your phone, I tried my app out today and it said there was an update however luckily after reading this post I declined the update. I have in the past changed several settings start logo etc and have had no problems, it maybe the new update has caused this can you please give the version number you have as it may stop people updating to the newest version providing they read this post beforehand mine is Version 1.17.0.3110 and have not encountered any problems but as I say it wants to install upgrade which I am not allowing after seeing this post
Same version as you, but I accepted coding data update.

I've had an email back from Bimmercode (must say they're on the ball with tech assistance) and it points me to the backups folder where there is one called "FSC" with a load of files in there, it wasn't there prior to this update and the Google Play page shows this as a new feature. They weren't clear what to do with them and I can't find an option to restore but I'm now assuming that if I copy them to a USB and insert it the car will find them and be happy. Car is booked in to BMW tomorrow morning now though and as it's restored fully back to stock I'll let them put the codes in and get it working.

Reason I didn't code the tailgate is that it lists about half a dozen switches in various states and frankly I don't know which is which, I'm gonna have to hit google again for that.

Thanks for all the replies folks
      09-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #13
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I only know the coding for the tailgate from before (several months ago) when it still worked through Bimmercode and it was very straight forward - it was one of the few (if not the only) option, excl. Expert mode.

Looking forward to the iOS update (which I was told by the developer should come out very soon now) to have a look at it.
      09-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #14
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep

On a related theme, how do I force Bimmercode to do a new backup of the factory settings after the car is sorted? Is it just as simple as deleting the existing backups, or maybe uninstalling, deleting the folder and all backups from the phone then installing fresh and reading the car?

I'm really glad I had backups of factory settings and glad I'd backed up the backups to my desktop as well. At least then if the update had screwed the data on my phone I could have installed on another device, put the backups into that from my desktop and restored the car that way

It's an odd issue really. No coding failures or reading failures reported by Bimmercode. I'm using a brand new Vgate Bluetooth.
After my initial panic and thinking as the car is 19 days old it's probably best to go back to BMW and play dumb I figured I'd flash every module back to stock, that went perfectly and (as far as I can tell) everything is working as it should, barring the sat nave wanting an FSC code.....

Once it's sorted I think I'll uninstall, reinstall without the coding update, and set the bloody car up again as I want it, then wait for the next Bimmercode update and wait a few days before using it I can live with the tailgate, I can't live with Stop / Start
      09-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #15
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Bimmercode for Android might work differently (from what I read above), but my impression is that (on iOS) it only creates backups before actual coding (as part of the coding process) and I have not seen an option to manually trigger backup without new coding.

Surprisingly though, all my backups were gone (or not recognised) once I got a SW update from BMW on my controllers. All coding was lost and Bimmercode no longer showed existing backups. I suspect the modules were recognised as "new" after the update and no backups matched the "new" controllers. Just be aware of that.
      09-19-2018, 04:08 PM   #16
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
On a related theme, how do I force Bimmercode to do a new backup of the factory settings after the car is sorted? Is it just as simple as deleting the existing backups, or maybe uninstalling, deleting the folder and all backups from the phone then installing fresh and reading the car?

I'm really glad I had backups of factory settings and glad I'd backed up the backups to my desktop as well. At least then if the update had screwed the data on my phone I could have installed on another device, put the backups into that from my desktop and restored the car that way

It's an odd issue really. No coding failures or reading failures reported by Bimmercode. I'm using a brand new Vgate Bluetooth.
After my initial panic and thinking as the car is 19 days old it's probably best to go back to BMW and play dumb I figured I'd flash every module back to stock, that went perfectly and (as far as I can tell) everything is working as it should, barring the sat nave wanting an FSC code.....

Once it's sorted I think I'll uninstall, reinstall without the coding update, and set the bloody car up again as I want it, then wait for the next Bimmercode update and wait a few days before using it I can live with the tailgate, I can't live with Stop / Start
as the car is 19 days old When did you fit the HU?
Will the dealer have anything to say as its not standard equipment Sorry looking at another thread about Avin my bad
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 04:34 AM   #17
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 340i

Should I not update then?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 06:04 AM   #18
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

It just came out today. I will update and test. There is in my opinion nothing related to the bimmercode version. His coding just got interrupted for whatever reason. Could be his device, android or something else.
      09-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #19
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Bimmercode for Android might work differently (from what I read above), but my impression is that (on iOS) it only creates backups before actual coding (as part of the coding process) and I have not seen an option to manually trigger backup without new coding.

On my Iphone it does a backup as soon as I read a module without doing any coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #20
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Now it does indeed!
      09-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #21
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mine has always done it, you just don't realise it as it's done automatically in the background.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #22
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Could be. Never noticed backups without coding before. But could very well be just me.

Nevertheless, I just played with the new iOS version of Bimmercode and can report the following:
- It does indeed now provide access to modules that became inaccessible after SW update from BMW (e.g. Active Sound Design and Tailgate)
- It fortunately did not brick anything
- I managed to successfully disable ASD (well, haven't driven yet, but coding went ok)
- I however agree with the OP - I did not find an option in the Tailgate now to enable closing of the tailgate from the footwell switch! The options look differently and make no sense to me. I tried coding the most logical among them - "Tailgate rocker switch position 1 close with long press" --> Active. It did not bring anything.

There is no tailgate-related rocker switch in F3x

Last edited by Skyhigh; 09-21-2018 at 02:14 AM..
Appreciate 0